Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    ride
    all versions of Blizzard accomodated a 4.8 tire but in 2015 it was very rim dependent. I ran 4.8s on my 2015 on a 60mm rim. It worked with an 80mm rim also but not on a 100mm rim.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    This January saw a few warm spots where temps went above freezing and we had a significant melt. First one ended with a big snowfall so no big deal, but this time it ended with a hard freeze so my commute and some of the local trails have a significant amount of ice.

One of the local bike shops was having a sale on studded tires yesterday, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Dillenger 5s, and all I can say is WOW! I was climbing hills and going speeds that I had no business doing in winter. Going to stash-away my Bulldozers for spring/fall season and ride these throughout the winter. Highly recommended!

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-2017-02-04-14.27.20-copy.jpg
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post

One of the local bike shops was having a sale on studded tires yesterday, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Dillenger 5s, and all I can say is WOW! I was climbing hills and going speeds that I had no business doing in winter. Going to stash-away my Bulldozers for spring/fall season and ride these throughout the winter. Highly recommended!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-04 14.27.20 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	1119579
    What's the name of the store? Do they sell online?
    BenTYYC

2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    What's the name of the store? Do they sell online?
    No, sorry. Just a local shop having a sale. These were the last two (and they both had different prices - shop gave me both for the lower price ).
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Blizzard -20. I've tested it out in the snow and it felt great. This is the main reason for my decision to buy a fat bike.

My secondary purpose will be a bikepacking rig in the summer on long and flat, loose-gravel trails. Has anyone here used their Blizzard for multi-day trips? I know the geometry is more optimized for typical trail riding, but is this enough reason to not use it for bikepacking?

Hopefully an owner of this bike can offer their input.

Gigantic Hawk
    I wouldn't use it for bike packing, but I don't think I'd use any fat bike for bike packing. This bike isn't very fast on dirt. The stock tires have a lot of rolling resistance.

That said, If your plan is to bike pack with a fat bike regardless, it is a nice bike.
    new jerseys and tech t's
    made to order in the USA from premium recycled poly - men's and women's in all sizes

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks. The bikepacking route I'm planning has significant stretches of loose gravel/crushed stone, as well as portions with sand or beach rocks. Everyone I've spoken to who has done it before has recommended a full fat bike instead of a standard or even plus-sized bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I wouldn't use it for bike packing, but I don't think I'd use any fat bike for bike packing. This bike isn't very fast on dirt. The stock tires have a lot of rolling resistance.

That said, If your plan is to bike pack with a fat bike regardless, it is a nice bike.
    Depends on your route. Maine has a system of backcountry lodges open in the winter. Around here you could work up a summer trip with a mix of beach and trails.

No question the Bulldozers have to go. Good too see Rocky has switched to the Minions on the 2017's.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by CFlanagan View Post
    Thanks. The bikepacking route I'm planning has significant stretches of loose gravel/crushed stone, as well as portions with sand or beach rocks. Everyone I've spoken to who has done it before has recommended a full fat bike instead of a standard or even plus-sized bike.
    Crushed stone would definitely suck on skinny tires. The route you have sounds like it'd be better on fat tires for sure.
    new jerseys and tech t's
    made to order in the USA from premium recycled poly - men's and women's in all sizes

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213