mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Rim size for Jones fat frontage

I want something with a bit of strength as it'll be used for bashing over roots and the odd radcore poorly judged jump. Going to be running an on one floater or maybe a bud for tyre, still undecided so any thoughts there would be helpful. I'm thinking along the lines of holed rolling daryl or would I better off with a marge light? Is the wider rim better for trail riding or narrower with the marge? I'm about 100kg loaded up so not the lightest in the world.

Thanks very much

Black Sheep rising
    If you're going to be running a 4.8 tire like the Bud, I'd go with the wider rim (70mm+). For 3.8 tires, the narrower rim works very well. FWIW, I have a Jones with a 50mm rim and a Knard, and it is just great. On my full fat, I have Rolling Darryl's (with holes), and have had no issues, and I have been substantially heavier than you. Given that you have the wheel built properly, I think you'll be fine with almost any option.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Geordie biker
    Holy darryl copes with my 100kg weight and in 1,000 miles its still true and never faulted.....I leave Nate on full time too.

Good mixture of weight, strength, looks and float.....doesn't sap my energy either, I just ride it everywhere.

2014 milage so far - 2,110
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great, thanks guys. Might go darryl as I'll be using nate, floater or maybe even bud. Quite possibly over obsessing about the 8mm difference between these and Jeffs rims.

Geordie biker
    Wider rim does make a difference.....better for absorbing shocks and braking is immense.

I almost went for a marge light but the darryl was in stock and I'm used to wider rims anyways.
    2014 milage so far - 2,110
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks, I'll go for the darryl I think. Just had a quick chat with jeff and he kinda confirmed what you're saying about being more stable under more aggressive riding and float.