mtbr member

Ride in strong head winds. aero bars or "drop bar" ends

So anyone that as taking a fat bike on a beach for any long ride knows about the strong, non stop wind you can some times come across when going down long parts of the cost. I was thinking of getting a set of "drop bar" ends or aero bars to help when I hit a strong head wind for a long time. anyone else do this to there fat bike? what one do you think would be better?
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

ent
    Sep 2011
    racing last year in the Puglsey world championships I saw many people using aero bars. I have had a few instances where I too have thought to my self that it would be great to have that position while you're hammering out flats straight into the wind.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I just did 100 miles a couple of weeks ago out to the Atlantic on the shores of Maryland. The cross winds were so strong in some parts that I had to fight the bike to get it going straight. If it was a gust and I was on aerobars, I could see myself going down.

Now if it's all headwind and coming straight at you, then no worries. The minute it gets strong/gusty and sideways...worry. Given the choice between those two, I'd go bar ends since you'll have more control if hit sideways.

EDIT: Doh! I just realized you were talking about drop bar ends, not regular ones. I've never tried those, and I have no idea how they will affect your ride...
    Last edited by Drevil; 10-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Use Loop Bars. The front loop gives you a more stretched out/aero position when you need it.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    Use Loop Bars. The front loop gives you a more stretched out/aero position when you need it.
    That's what I used for my long road ride, even though I usually use a "straight" bar on this bike. The extended center section came in handy when I wanted to tuck or change position.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think I am going to bolt on some aero bars I have laying around for my ride this saturday. I have to do about 18 miles of road to get to and from the trail.

Even without the headwinds, going downhilll on one of these steel beasts... you can really get moving! Even better if you can get under the wind. Plus, it might keep me flexible for tri season.

Loop bars look like a good idea too, but I dont have any lying around my garage.

questionably contented
    Apr 2005
    I can second the Loop bars. The aero-like position isn't too stretched out, but it does provide some respite.

Like it soo much, in fact, that I'm poking about for a pair of arm pads for the crossbar.

mtbr member
    I wanted to get one of these
    Jtek Axe Aerobar
    I even bought a Thomson stem...
    By the time I had saved enough of my milk money to buy the bar, I found out he is out of stock and has no plans to make any more...if you like the looks of these, drop Ryan a line and ask him to resurrect them...I think I'm first in line
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Me at Barry Roubaix.

This was a joke used to entertain my fellow racers during our race.
    Creating laughs = winning.

Although passing CX bikes with Zipps up climbs in this position while yelling "GET IN THE DROPS!" was very satisfying.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride in strong head winds. aero bars or "drop bar" ends-557528_10150637686828248_133480886_n.jpg  

Ride in strong head winds. aero bars or "drop bar" ends-557933_10150637686913248_176373690_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The top one needs to go to the MTBR Caption page!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    The aero experts at Zipp et al, are constantly widening their rims and tyres to improve air flow over the wheel.

One day they will catch you up Hand/of/Midas.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    I wanted to get one of these
    Jtek Axe Aerobar
    I even bought a Thomson stem...
    By the time I had saved enough of my milk money to buy the bar, I found out he is out of stock and has no plans to make any more...if you like the looks of these, drop Ryan a line and ask him to resurrect them...I think I'm first in line
    Oval used to do a similar version I think.

Check EBay. Not sure it clamps just any main bar though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    So I got the drop bar ends in the mail today (LBS did not have them) and got them installed today. They work really well! And they are really comfortable. They take up all most no room on my bars and are a great way to get out of the wind a bit. I also have good control when in the drops. I put them on the outside first but they were way to far a part so I put them on the inside and they fit great. It is a bit weird to be riding in the drops and look down and see a full. Flat bar set up with no hands on it. I will add some photos tomorrow.

mtbr member
    So I got the drop bar ends in the mail today (LBS did not have them) and got them installed today. They work really well! And they are really comfortable. They take up all most no room on my bars and are a great way to get out of the wind a bit. I also have good control when in the drops. I put them on the outside first but they were way to far a part so I put them on the inside and they fit great. It is a bit weird to be riding in the drops and look down and see a full. Flat bar set up with no hands on it. I will add some photos tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is it the Origin 8 drop ends that you bought?

I've been thinking about getting a pair of those for my mountain bike to try out. To get a true drop bar hood position I was also going to add a pair of road brake levers, remove the brake lever, and apply bar wrap. Cane Creek's Stoker Levers look like a more elegant option, but I want to try it on the cheap first.

mtbr member
    Yes the Origin 8. here is some photos.

Another Retro Grouch
    I bought some woodchippers for my Pugs but I never use the drops, just the upper bars with my hands close together. That is a reasonable aero position so I changed to some wider all-mountain bars (30" wide) and added some grip tape to the bars near the stem. Gives me nice aero position into the wind.