mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Ride Comparo Farley vs Fatboy?

Now that these are both available, anyone ridden both? Seems to me like the green Fatboy is hard to beat at 1900 bucks. Those tires look really really good. I haven't ridden anything except a Pugsley with one time. The Farley has nearly standard 29er geo, vs the Fatboy which is a lot longer in the rear to fit the 5" rubber. I would prefer a more sporty ride so I would think the Farley may be better for me. I like to play around on a bike, jump, hop, jib, whatever. Fatboy seems like it would be better at just tractoring along. Don't know much about the 170 vs 190 rear, but seems the 190 is what the Alaskans are going to.

I am in Montana. Pretty soft around here a lot of the time in the winter. Maybe the 5" is better? But come spring, the snow doesn't melt out till June up high on most trails. I foresee a lot rides starting out on dirt and ending up on snow which would seem to suit the Farley running Knards better. But I could buy a set of Knards and the Fatboy and still be ahead vs the Farley.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I haven't ridden both but I have seen both. The fatboy has a lot more tire clearance and I would rather have more tire options especially considering your location. I would probably own a fatboy if it wasn't for the pf30 bb. And before I get piled on by fatboy owners. I have a pf30 stumpjumper and couldn't get rid of the creaking until I went to a chris king bb. Maybe the 100mm spacing will be a better setup for those bearings but I am not willing to make another investment in a chris king bb.

Why are those your only two options? It seems like another 190mm frame would be worth looking at; 907, carver ti-obeast and fatback. A moonlander with an offset fork might even be worth looking at just for the sake of having the option to switch front and rear wheels if something goes wrong when you are deep in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have one of each. The Farley is more nimble and hippity hoppity and it climbs almost like a race bike. I do find myself feeling the need to pick a cleaner line through chunky stuff but that's not a bad thing, it helps to keep me focused. So far I've only had time for two rides on the Fatboy (and only on snow) but your impression of tractor is pretty close. The front end is nice and light though so it steers easily and the longish rear end stays nicely planted through the finish of a turn.

The Knards are smooth rolling but lack traction when it gets soft or loose so if you ride a lot of gravel you may want a more aggressive front tire. So far I think the GC's are pretty fantastic but again, I've only ridden them in snow.