mtbr member

Retrofitting Pugsley with more cage mounts

I want to add more cage mounts to my Pugsley. I see two options for doing this: drilling holes and tapping threads, and clamps that go around the tubes. Brazing in new ones isn't ideal since it ruins the paint and I don't know how to weld. Plus you'd need bigger holes which would weaken the tube more.

I would like to add two cage mounts underneath the down tube, possibly something to the top tube to put stuff up there (since it has that low stand-over height), and also a cage on each of the fork tines (I have a Moonlander fork right now but want to get the offset Pugsley fork when it becomes available which based on my research doesn't have the cage mounts like the Moonlander fork). There was a brief discussion here.

I realize that drilling the frame will void the warranty, so I am more inclined to drill the forks only and use clamps on the frame.

This website has lots of info on different options.

1. Drilling holes. I see two methods for this. One is to use Rivnuts. Some people say they are great while others say they frequently loosen. Plus it is recommended that you get it done by a shop which I would rather not do since I like doing things myself.

The other method is to drill and tap a hole so the screws thread in directly. I presume the tubing thickness would not be sufficient to allow for enough threading, so I would have to extend it. How I imagine doing this is drilling the hole and then squirting in some JB Weld to extend a little tube in behind the hole. I would then drill this out to the correct diameter and thread the whole thing, metal + JB weld. This would require a strong bond between the JB Weld and the inside surface of the tubing. I presume that frame saver would prevent a good bond. Does the Pugsley have frame saver? Is it in the fork?

1. Clamps. I never really liked the clamps that have a single attachment point to the tube since this would cause lots of torque as you go over bumps. Also I don't want a clamp that's going to extend the cage mounts a ways away from the tube, I want it up tight. I found two clamps that should do the trick, here and here. Each bolt for the water bottle cage gets its own clamp, and they seem to have a low profile. I'd use these on the frame. For the Specialized one, the Pugsley top tube is 29 mm diameter so it would probably work there, but not on the down tube which is fatter.

mtbr member

I've used hose clamps to mount cages to my fork, DT and stem. They have been 100% bomber in every location. Cheap, easily removed or adjusted.

I love the stem mounted waterbottle.

Hose clamps would be an easy way to test out different setups even if you wanted to do something more permanent later.

BTW - I've seen folks have success bikepacking where they simply taped the cages to the bike. The result was totally secure and also easy/cheap to do.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yeah maybe simpler is better. But the hose clamps scratch your paint don't they? Can you use rubber padding strips without affecting strength? I don't think they would fit some cages like my Profile Designs since you need to have a flat section for the strap to go across.

There are also these helicoils.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Yeah maybe simpler is better. But the hose clamps scratch your paint don't they? Can you use rubber padding strips without affecting strength? I don't think they would fit some cages like my Profile Designs since you need to have a flat section for the strap to go across.

There are also these helicoils.
    I used the hoseclamps directly on my RS Reba fork and you couldn't tell there were bottle cages mounted on it now.

On my Krampus I used a couple wraps of electrical tape on the frame where I mounted the cages and there is no impact on strength. I have completed some very rough tours, crashed, thrashed and generally abused my Krampus. Those cages have not moved 1mm.

For the winter I pulled the cages from my Krampus. Took 5mins and I had a "naked" bike again for trail riding. Cages will go back on in March when I start touring again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have one of these Twofish Quick Cages and it holds really well. The benefit to this is that it would allow you to figure out what works best location wise without hurting the paint or making permanent modification to your frame.

Twofish Unlimited - Bicycle Accessory Fasteners
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net