mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Require pointers for building offset wheels

Hey guys,

I want to learn how to build up wheels from scratch, I want to put my Rohloff that I run on my fat cargo bike on my Moonie when it arrives.

"EDIT" Do the Moonies run a 32 or 36 hole rim?

What length of spokes do I require?

How do I go about calculating spoke lengths for an offset wheel?

I've started reading from the net but so far haven't come across anything to do with offsets.

I'm not starting from total scratch as I've built a couple of road based wheels in the past, but they were essentially, like for like and I did the front wheel for the cargo bike, once again, essentially like for like other than the fact I used a wider rim. I've been truing my own wheels for years.

I've been contemplating getting a spoke tension checker, is this worth it, and if so, what’s the best one to purchase?

Muchly thankyou...please don't ride on head!, ride on wheels and..... all have a good day......

Al.
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

mtbr member
    There's a few spoke length calculators on the web. I knocked up my own, but I have used this one (look at the bottom of the page for the button)

DT Swiss - Wheels

For offset, it helps you to visualise it if you sketch out a plan of your hub and rim. Then it's easy to see that if you adjust the flange distances by adding or subtracting the offset from centre it will work out. Some spoke calculators have a field for offset.

The wheel build will be easier if you have the little wheel spacer building tool for offset that Surly provide. I don't know if it comes with the complete bikes or not. Basically it fits on the end of your hub axle so the hub is centered in your wheel building jig, ie it fools it into thinking you have a 170 or 190mm hub (190 for Moonie).

I think it's worth having the spoke tension checker. It's like using low pressure gauges on your tyres. Once you've used it a few times you can "feel" it pretty accurately without the tool (or use the "ting" test), and you won't use it so much, but it's always handy.

Fat rims are pretty stiff so they don't pull into line easily in the way ordinary bike rims do. I find it pays to get everything as close to perfect with the spokes fingertight and then proceed with half turns then quarter turns. Seems to work nicely, just takes a bit longer.

I presume we are going to see a suitable expedition planned for the Moonie...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    This site has dimensions for Rohloff hubs and a range of rims: Freespoke It allows you to enter offset values for the rim and hubs. It also gives you a diagram that lets you see if you've entered the figures correctly.

This post gives the length to build a Rohloff hub on a Marge light: Marge Lite Wheelbuild Question

Tim

turtles make me hot
    Absolutely get the spacer that offsets the hub in the stand. It makes for a foolproof build. They're like 10 or 11 dollars.
    32 hole on a fatty rim.
    I have the Park tension meter. Good tool.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Velobike, Wombat,

Thanks for the info, a great help, I'm now off to order a tensioner, spacer and to find out what the hell ERD stands for!!!!!

Velobike,
    Quote "I presume we are going to see a suitable expedition planned for the Moonie..." Unquote

Sure is, one is a short one, on which I'm taking a friend who used to be a Ultra Marrathon Runner but who has had to give it away due to a bad accident involving a bushfire during an event, she was burnt quite badly and is now unable to sweat and therefore has overheating issues. She's asked if I can take her on an "Epic" ride..... she's tough, so there will be two sections to satisfy her sense of challange, I don't know whether she'll like me when we finish...... We'll do a short shake down ride so I can evaluate her, if all is good, that ride will happen mid 2014 ish and take ~2/3 months, it'll be 100% self supported. I have to set her up with a Moonie as well. I'll post on it closer to the time.

The other is by myself, a ~15,500, ~18 month jaunt on back tracks, desserts, moutains & beaches on the island of OZ. Likely to kick off 1st quarter of 2015.

Bring 'em on.....

Al
    Last edited by alanm; 10-14-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    NYrr496

Cheers man.

Al

turtles make me hot
    ERD is Effective Rim Diameter.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    ...I'm taking a friend who used to be a Ultra Marrathon Runner but who has had to give it away due to a bad accident involving a bushfire during an event, she was burnt quite badly and is now unable to sweat and therefore has overheating issues....
    Was that the big bushfires a few years back? My brother was supposed to be doing the BiCentennial Trail in an area that went up while he should have been there. Luckily his mate was faffing around replacing his 2nd or 3rd drivetrain of the trip while it happened, so they were delayed. An example of when the reliability of a Rohloff can be a bad thing (my brother had the Rohloff and his mate the derailleur )
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    ERD is Effective Rim Diameter.
    Thanks for that mate.

Al

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Was that the big bushfires a few years back? My brother was supposed to be doing the BiCentennial Trail in an area that went up while he should have been there. Luckily his mate was faffing around replacing his 2nd or 3rd drivetrain of the trip while it happened, so they were delayed. An example of when the reliability of a Rohloff can be a bad thing (my brother had the Rohloff and his mate the derailleur )
    It was in the Kimberley, about 2 years ago. Sounds like your Bro and his mate were lucky....
    Al
    Last edited by alanm; 10-14-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: typo