mtbr member

Repair stands for heavy bikes

I'm in the market for a repair stand and wondered if any of you had recommendations. I've never owned a bike as long and heavy as my Krampus (I think it's over 6 ft of bass-boat green, Knard-clad awesomeness...), and don't want to buy something that's not up to the task. My fatty isn't quite as long, but still a lot of bike.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations from those of you who've made this purchase.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Feedback Sports stand and it holds my fat bike which is no lightweight. I've also had a couple of Krampus in it.

What the hell is the plural or Krampus?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I've always gone with Krampi. Though, sadly, the issue doesn't come up as often as it should.

I was looking at the Feedback and liked it because it was aluminum - but also worried that it might be too light for the big dogs -- because it was aluminum.

Thanks for the reply!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've used my Ultimate (now Feedback) stand for more than 10 years, maybe more like 15, with heavy DH bikes and everything else. No complaints and very stable. The legs go very wide, so you can do all sorts of cool stuff like spin and hold the bike upside down, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a Felt DD-30 fat bike which feels like a Peterbilt in the weight department. I have a Park Tool PCS-10 stand which is tough enough to handle the fat bike without any problems.

It's stable as a rock with 30+ pounds of bike on there, and it doesn't twist or spin around when I take wheels off, etc. I have no experience with other stands so I can't compare to the alternatives, but this was a great purchase for a bike of any size. It could probably handle a tandem without difficulty.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I also have the Park PCS-10 and love it. It handles my Fatboy and every old heavy steel bikes I put on it. Best bike related purchase I've ever made!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Human Test Subject
    I've put my Big Dummy in a park tool pcs-4 without issue. My dummy's around 80 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've used this with my pugsly (45lbs) for over 7 years weekly, with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Spin-Doctor-B...tor+bike+stand

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    I can hang my entire body weight on my old Park shop stand, no problem, and it's lasted me over 20 years now with no signs it's going to give up in the next 20.

Repair stands for heavy bikes-img_3406.jpg
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Park all the way. Mine is great.

Give'er!
    I had a lot of scrap steel on hand in the garage, so I built my own lol. The baseplate weighs 55lbs, it has two outriggers on either side for extra stability when using the arm and it doubles as a bike rack! I was worried about the square tube needing more support when it's supporting the bike on the arm, but it hasn't been an issue. I like it because I can clamp around the seatpost while the bike is on the ground, then lift it up into place to work on stuff.
    Repair stands for heavy bikes-p3220060.jpg

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    The stands from Feedback Sports work fine with heavier bikes.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Park Tool pcs-9 decent price and great stand. Holds my 40lb loaded Blackborow easily. And I love the blue. It is the focal point of my mud room.

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch, everyone. It sounds like the Park pcs 9 & 10, the Feedback and Spin-doctor stands would all serve me well. And, MCHB, were I as handy as you, I'd skip all this and build up something fine like you've created!

Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to this question!

mtbr member
    Name:  31618051154_7258ef0f22.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  94.9 KB

just a heads up for EVT...their stands are more $ but thoroughly worth it - as are all their tools, actually...

All fat, all the time.
    I have an older park pcs1, no complaints other then it's heavy and bulky to move around, but it's great.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, dRjOn. I've never heard of EVT. That does look really nice, but not very portable and probably way more $$ than I was hoping to spend.

Shark - I was sort of leaning toward the aluminum stands (like the Feedback) to cut-down on the weight, and because I've read that people have had their Park stands rust if they use them to wash their bikes a lot. One of my intended uses was to hold my bikes while I hose them off after coming in from a muddy trail.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I love my Feedback Sports. Its easy to fold, solid metal arm with plastic protection, quickrelease button, heavy metal knobs that quickly spin open or closed, can be put into any angle and it holds my eBikes with ease, which I'm sure are heavier than your bike and have a thicker top tube

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some of the people here are posting shop-heads that mount to fixed stands that do not move. These are great for shops and places where you have both the space and ability to hard-mount something in the floor or on a bench. For these, the expensive park heads are nice and quick to use.

But, if you aren't putting a post in concrete or bolting it to the floor, the portable stands are where you should be looking. As mentioned, I'm partial to the Feedback with it's wide base. It also folds up relatively easily to a nice compact shape, making moving it around fairly easy. Back when this came out the only other real option was the unstable-as-heck park stand. They've since made it more stable, but I don't think it compares with the 3-legs of the Feedback, not to mention you can "customize" the Feedback and lock it at partial extension, based on your size constraints.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Mine's got the shop head and riser, but isn't mounted to anything or set into the floor so it can be moved around. OP didn't mention anything about portability, which is overrated IMHO anyway. How often do most people really load up all their tools and a stand into the car to go do major repairs in a parking lot?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Another vote for the Feeback stands.

mtbr member
    Repair stands for heavy bikes-image.jpg
    I found a nice CL deal on a barely used Feedback ProElite stand. I'm really impressed with the build quality and materials. I think it will be perfect.

Thanks to all of you for your input!
    (Not sure why it's rotated....)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicscreen View Post
    I'm in the market for a repair stand and wondered if any of you had recommendations. I've never owned a bike as long and heavy as my Krampus (I think it's over 6 ft of bass-boat green, Knard-clad awesomeness...), and don't want to buy something that's not up to the task. My fatty isn't quite as long, but still a lot of bike.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations from those of you who've made this purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Strong work! My Feedback is easier to put in the car, though! :-)