mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Redemption of the Ice Cream Truck

Since December 2015 I've been rocking my trusty Surly Ice Cream Truck. Thousands of miles and hundreds of rides, as well as a lot of craziness, falling through ice, hitting huge snow jumps, mountain biking, rim strikes, you name it.

In February I picked up a 9:Zero:7 frame for a killer deal and threw all the parts from the ICT on it. I thought I was done with the Ice Cream Truck and even put it for sale, to receive lots of interest but no buyer.

Yesterday I decided it's time to build Big Blue back up and use her some more. I miss my heavy steel bomber bike. This time however, it will be a slow careful build as I already have a bike to ride.

I've already thoroughly cleaned the frame/fork/cranks of all grease and grime. The bottle cage bolts were stuck pretty tight in the frame even though I greased them last year (presumably breaking through ice into deep water in singe digit temps helped clear out the grease).

Stay tuned for pictures and updates, this will not be a quick build. I'll be buying parts as deals present themselves. Maybe she'll be even better than before

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I should add that a major part of why I ditched the ICT was the lack of SRAM compatible MDS chips and the fact that Surly kept throwing fake dates into the air. Around February they began ignoring my emails.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I should add that a major part of why I ditched the ICT was the lack of SRAM compatible MDS chips and the fact that Surly kept throwing fake dates into the air. Around February they began ignoring my emails.

What is "SRAM compatible" about the MDS chips? Serious question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe he means the extended direct-mount arm that eliminates the need for the B-link? Not sure that is SRAM specific though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Mike, what I meant is that Surly makes two different sets of thru axle MDS chips.

1) Shimano direct mount ONLY. This chipset will only take a Shimano direct mount rear derailleur.

2) Just a standard derailleur hanger that is compatible with SRAM, Shimano, Box, chain tensioners, you name it. It also has 14mm of fore/aft making it singlespeed compatible. The "quiver killer" chip if you will.

The second is what I meant by "SRAM compatible". This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time. Eventually I voiced my concern about this to them, which is when they decided to start ignoring me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time....
    How it was in the early days. Maybe they were just playing you, for old times sake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Mike, what I meant is that Surly makes two different sets of thru axle MDS chips.

1) Shimano direct mount ONLY. This chipset will only take a Shimano direct mount rear derailleur.

2) Just a standard derailleur hanger that is compatible with SRAM, Shimano, Box, chain tensioners, you name it. It also has 14mm of fore/aft making it singlespeed compatible. The "quiver killer" chip if you will.

The second is what I meant by "SRAM compatible". This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time. Eventually I voiced my concern about this to them, which is when they decided to start ignoring me.
    Are you referring to the Surly FS2009 dropout? I thought that has been available for well over a year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Are you referring to the Surly FS2009 dropout? I thought that has been available for well over a year?
    I am and no they have not been available over a year at least in the USA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,i just picked up a set after owning my ict for like 1 1/2 years,seemed like a big oversight on their part to release a bike frame you couldnt buy parts for...and like you ive ended up getting another fat bike,in my case a bucksaw...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Does anybody know off the top of their head what Chris King headset is correct for the ICT?

My CC 40 is a little rough and while I could get new bearings I may just dive in to the anodizing pool (hehe).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    for the stock fork?
    i think an inset2? not sure...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    for the stock fork?
    i think an inset2? not sure...
    Interesting, looks like an internal headset on the bottom unlike the CC. I'll look into it.

Thanks Hamster

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Update time!

I have a few goodies for the ICT!

1. Thomson Elite 30.9x367 post. This post will replace my old scratched up post, will be lighter (I could care less) and will look nice. Thomson is also made in the US and is known for its strength which is something I appreciate.

2. I am replacing all the rusted steel bolts with Ti ones (must remember the Ti anti-seize).They are blue and super trick, lighter (yawn) and will not rust even though I ride my bike in salt daily in the winter months.

I would like some opinions on wheels though:

Should I run the original 26x100 Clownshoe wheels with Vee 2XLs? Or Bontrager Wampa wheels with 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals? Both should be killer, open to any and all input.

Stay tuned for pics!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    27.5! 26 is so 4 years ago!

mtbr member
    Looking for some corrosion protection for your frame?

On my last frame i used "Fluid Film". It's awesome stuff. I use it on my chain too.

It dries to a waxy oily film but it is all natural and lanolin based. Highly recommended.

Be sure to wipe all excess off chain and let dry before a ride for best results. I'll wipe it down again after a ride as some gets pressed out during ride.
    Last edited by Kirkerik; 08-10-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    27.5! 26 is so 4 years ago!
    You got it Hamster!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    UPDATE: Bontrager Wampa Carbon (O_o) wheels have been acquired at a great price. They sure are light and purdy.

On a trial smasher I'd be worried about cracking them but this bike will mostly see 8+" of fresh snow, or hardpack snow. Going to run 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals which should be great.

I also still have the original silver Clownshoes, and I got a set of 3.8" studded Gnarwhals for the ice. Couldn't pass them up! $80 for a PAIR with under 10 miles on them

And as a side note, I also got a pair of bar mitts. Pics of the complete bike will be coming soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Where did you get the Wampa wheels from? I have been thinking of going that route.

This place needs an enema
    Smart man. The Wampa's are the most durable carbon rims I've seen or ridden to date. Bomber tubeless interface too, and so easy to tape and inflate. They are, truly, the way tubeless should always have been, and the way more (most) rims should be designed and implemented in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So I've been slacking off building the ICT and enjoying the 100* weather on other bikes...

I have a three hour race Saturday and I got new wheels for the bike I was gonna race and they sent me the wrong endcaps!

My old wheels are sold

I need to get this baby together and rollin' ASAP! Wish me luck, I should be able to pull it off!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Smart man. The Wampa's are the most durable carbon rims I've seen or ridden to date. Bomber tubeless interface too, and so easy to tape and inflate. They are, truly, the way tubeless should always have been, and the way more (most) rims should be designed and implemented in the future.
    I agree Mike. I put on some Hodags, gave 'em a nice hard slap and I they sealed up before the pump was even on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Where did you get the Wampa wheels from? I have been thinking of going that route.
    Craigslist!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I got the bike together, raced it, and got third place! Not bad at all

I'd say that's a pretty dang good redemption... now for some snow in a few months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What did you pay for your Ice Cream Truck?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    What did you pay for your Ice Cream Truck?
    God only knows, I've had it for years. It was originally $1600 new but I've thrown way to many upgrades at it.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I got the bike together, raced it, and got third place! Not bad at all
    congrats on the finish!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any pictures of the revamped ICT?!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yea, pictures please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pictures will be coming very soon... a few blingilicious goodies early next week and then into the studio for pics (by studio I mean my local MTB trail).

Current setup!

20" Surly ICT frame (blue)
    Wren Dual Air 120mm 15x150 fork
    Nextie 50mm rims with Framed Pub Hubs (This setup is about to change)
    Bontrager Hodag 27.5x3.8 tires
    Random 180/160 rotors (getting Hope Floating 180/180s next week)
    Magura MT8 Raceline brakes
    Shimano SLX rear derailleur
    Shimano SLX shifter
    Shimano XT 11 speed cassette with 11-13-16 instead of 11-13-15-17 so I have 11-42T 10 speed. Works great.
    SRAM PC-1031 chain
    Surly OD crank with 30T chainring from I don't remember anymore.
    Bontrager Line Pro pedals
    Shimano Saint bottom bracket
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Bontrager Line Pro 35 70mm stem (40mm has been purchased)
    Controltech Lynx 800mm bars
    ESI grips
    2x Specialized Zee cages

Yup, I likely forgot half the parts on the bike. I'm not in front of it right now.

I'm putting on a SRAM GX 1x11 setup with gripshift soon, temps get cold in winter and gripshift is nice with thick gloves/mittens. Shoutout to Rodney Jekyl for the hookup on the ultra rare unicorn X01 grip shifter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    congrats on the finish!
    Thanks