Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601

    Redemption of the Ice Cream Truck

    Since December 2015 I've been rocking my trusty Surly Ice Cream Truck. Thousands of miles and hundreds of rides, as well as a lot of craziness, falling through ice, hitting huge snow jumps, mountain biking, rim strikes, you name it.

    In February I picked up a 9:Zero:7 frame for a killer deal and threw all the parts from the ICT on it. I thought I was done with the Ice Cream Truck and even put it for sale, to receive lots of interest but no buyer.

    Yesterday I decided it's time to build Big Blue back up and use her some more. I miss my heavy steel bomber bike. This time however, it will be a slow careful build as I already have a bike to ride.

    I've already thoroughly cleaned the frame/fork/cranks of all grease and grime. The bottle cage bolts were stuck pretty tight in the frame even though I greased them last year (presumably breaking through ice into deep water in singe digit temps helped clear out the grease).

    Stay tuned for pictures and updates, this will not be a quick build. I'll be buying parts as deals present themselves. Maybe she'll be even better than before

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601
    I should add that a major part of why I ditched the ICT was the lack of SRAM compatible MDS chips and the fact that Surly kept throwing fake dates into the air. Around February they began ignoring my emails.

  3. #3
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,063
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I should add that a major part of why I ditched the ICT was the lack of SRAM compatible MDS chips and the fact that Surly kept throwing fake dates into the air. Around February they began ignoring my emails.

    What is "SRAM compatible" about the MDS chips? Serious question.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,576
    Maybe he means the extended direct-mount arm that eliminates the need for the B-link? Not sure that is SRAM specific though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601
    Mike, what I meant is that Surly makes two different sets of thru axle MDS chips.

    1) Shimano direct mount ONLY. This chipset will only take a Shimano direct mount rear derailleur.

    2) Just a standard derailleur hanger that is compatible with SRAM, Shimano, Box, chain tensioners, you name it. It also has 14mm of fore/aft making it singlespeed compatible. The "quiver killer" chip if you will.

    The second is what I meant by "SRAM compatible". This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time. Eventually I voiced my concern about this to them, which is when they decided to start ignoring me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time....
    How it was in the early days. Maybe they were just playing you, for old times sake.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    Mike, what I meant is that Surly makes two different sets of thru axle MDS chips.

    1) Shimano direct mount ONLY. This chipset will only take a Shimano direct mount rear derailleur.

    2) Just a standard derailleur hanger that is compatible with SRAM, Shimano, Box, chain tensioners, you name it. It also has 14mm of fore/aft making it singlespeed compatible. The "quiver killer" chip if you will.

    The second is what I meant by "SRAM compatible". This chip is finally available after over two years of waiting. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with Surly for always projecting about three months out for the chips time after time. Eventually I voiced my concern about this to them, which is when they decided to start ignoring me.
    Are you referring to the Surly FS2009 dropout? I thought that has been available for well over a year?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Are you referring to the Surly FS2009 dropout? I thought that has been available for well over a year?
    I am and no they have not been available over a year at least in the USA.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,687
    yup,i just picked up a set after owning my ict for like 1 1/2 years,seemed like a big oversight on their part to release a bike frame you couldnt buy parts for...and like you ive ended up getting another fat bike,in my case a bucksaw...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601
    Does anybody know off the top of their head what Chris King headset is correct for the ICT?

    My CC 40 is a little rough and while I could get new bearings I may just dive in to the anodizing pool (hehe).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,687
    for the stock fork?
    i think an inset2? not sure...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    for the stock fork?
    i think an inset2? not sure...
    Interesting, looks like an internal headset on the bottom unlike the CC. I'll look into it.

    Thanks Hamster

Similar Threads

  1. Surly Ice Cream Truck
    By non-conformist in forum Surly
    Replies: 1151
    Last Post: 3 Days Ago, 10:42 AM
  2. Surly Ice Cream Truck versus Surly Moonlander
    By Vinnie Barbarino in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM
  3. Where is my ice cream truck?
    By GISdork in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 05-21-2015, 09:43 AM
  4. Surly Ice Cream Truck - Single Speed
    By hugecgar in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
  5. Who is in on the Ice Cream Truck
    By rjedoaks in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 04:13 AM

Members who have read this thread: 163

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •