Slave to the grind

reasonably priced 170mm hubs with reasonable performance?

dear fat fiends,

i am surprised to realize that the fat bike i was planning on getting has a 170mm rear hub. yeah i know: newbie surprise- cant you tell?

this being the case can someone steer me to a decent 170mm rear and 135 front hub (with front brake offset) that wont kill my overall budget? i think i can find a good front 135hub but the 170mm rear seems to be a challenge.

i know we alll want paul or hope hubs but i'd rather not have to eat maruchan instant ramen for a few months to pay for them. anything decent in the sub 300usd range would be appreciated. cheaper the better of course.

ive been eyeballing either the salsa hubs or the fatbacks but couldn't find any performance reviews on either of them. are they any good? are their better alternatives?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Slave to the grind
    just realized that the fatbacks are at 320usd. darn it. oh well they are still the next cheapest to the salsas methinks.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Fatback hubs are nice. Salsa have had issues, but I don't think it's that common. You could mix the Muk3 hub for $115 with the Surly new Disc hub for $57, then add a skewer, and you'd be under $200 for the pair.

Universal Cycles -- Surly New Disc Rear Hub

You can get around the front brake offset by using 4mm spacers between the fork and brake adapter.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Actually Hope hubs are not that great, The bearings on the rear last me about 15 before I need to change them, now they are working much better but the bearings are not cheap..
    reasonably priced 170mm hubs with reasonable performance?-img_3827-l.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Actually Hope hubs are not that great, The bearings on the rear last me about 15 before I need to change them, now they are working much better but the bearings are not cheap..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3827-L.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	840161
    I thought the bearings in hope hubs were standard cart units that could be gotten at any bearing supply shop?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I thought the bearings in hope hubs were standard cart units that could be gotten at any bearing supply shop?

Well SKF bearings are not cheap...

Nuts
    I have a low mileage great Muk 2 hub I would let go reasonable, I've had very good luck with it. Only selling it because I have a crush on an i9.
    And I love beer!!

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a low mileage great Muk 2 hub I would let go reasonable, I've had very good luck with it. Only selling it because I have a crush on an i9.
    called it
    over a month ago
    ha ha
    I am slow therefore I am

Thumper
    I have unused Hopes 135/170mm in your range. pm me.

I bought to build the Project Murphy Fatbike that never came out. Laced to unused NorthPaws but I'm keeping the rims.

I made a newbie mistake of try to save money and match the 170mm hub wheelset I had. Picked up a demo 9 Zero 7 frame. I then realized the stack height was too much for my must use Fat Fournales forks. So now dumping the frame and hubs.

Sweet thing is I have a Borealis frame and hubs in the mail with some Next SL cranks. woo hoo

Nuts
    Hmmmmmm..
    And I love beer!!