mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Real Q-factor measurements on Rocky Mountain Suzi-Q

Has anyone actually measured a real Suzi-Q bike? I'm trying to decide between a low end Suzi-Q and a twice-as-expensive Otso Voytek. Voytek clearly states with Next cranks, 183mm Q.

I can't find actual Q on the Suzi-Q. Both have RF Aeffect cranks standard. Rocky Mountain calls theirs "Race Face Aeffect Cinch Narrow Q 28T". I emailed Rocky asking what this means. Are these Rocky Mountain custom cranks with narrower Q than standard cranks? Otherwise, why call them that, just call them Race Face Aeffect Cinch and be done with it.

I have a Top Fuel 9.8 Full suspension 29er. I want a winter/fun bike, and rented a Farley last week. Felt fine, was all set to just buy one. But when I quit riding one time, which was about 45 minutes on a smooth bike path, my left knee hurt again. I have a messed up knee that has been good all summer. I can ride hours anywhere. But 45 minutes on the Farley and it was bad again.

That's what led me to these 2 kinda-fat bikes. So I want narrowest Q possible. I can test ride a 2017 Suzi-Q locally, can't test a Voytek.

I'd be spending twice with a Voytek, but I know exactly what I'm getting. I'm getting 15mm wider Q if I spend the money on the Next crank upgrade.

I have no idea what I'd get with the Suzi-Q even if I upgraded the cranks to Next myself.

I measured my Top Fuel around 170mm q factor. The Sram site says my cranks are 168mm, which is about right.

So, I'm guessing 8 mm each pedal wider, and maybe I can move my cleats in 3-4mm on dedicated winter shoes I have.

Thoughts?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    after f'ing up my groin on my ICT, I was focused on Q factor earlier this year, and searched out a suzi q -70. drove 2 hours to go ride it, and i was less than impressed.

you may want to go swing a leg over one before plunking down the cash.

mtbr member
    The Otso has a 30 day money back guarantee. Not that you will need it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I went to the shop and checked out the Suzi Q. All they have in stock is a 2017 -90, $4K+. It looked great, super light, but also felt really LONG and stretched out. Which it is supposed to according to all I've read about it. A XC kinda fatbike thing. So if I ordered a cheaper -30 Q, I'd be stuck if I couldn't get the fit just right.

The OTSO looks like the bars are up higher, more sitting upright. The TT, Reach, wheelbase numbers between the Q and Otso are very similar. More than I would guess by photos alone.

I really want a cheap narrow-Q 3.8 tire fatbike. That's it. The Narrow Q is the key. I can not risk damaging my knee again. But it's either take a chance on a stretched out Q without actually riding the real one, or take a chance and spend twice as much on the Otso...only to ride it through the mud, snow, ice, and typical crap we get here in Chicagoland from Nov-April each year.

I'd just spring for the otso and be done, but I'd hate to destroy it in bad weather. I'd much rather have a cheaper bike with cheaper components...but narrow Q

doesn't anyone make a 3.8 or 4.0 tire narrow Q bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The bb-shell on the Suzi-Q and the Voytek is exactly the same. So, the Aefect cranks on the Suzi-Q are the same as the ones that come as standard on the Voytek (q-factor 189mm). And if you stick the Next cranks on the Suzi-Q you'll have the exact same q-factor as you would on the Voytek.

Raceface put the q-factor measurements for their cranks in a document here: https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

One complication: Some of the 2017 Suzi-Q models came with Turbine cranks instead of the Aeffect. In theory that's an upgrade, but in practice that actually makes the q-factor wider by about 4-5mm. On the other hand, the Turbines use the same spindle as the Next cranks, so it would be a relatively simple upgrade to by a Turbine equiped Suzi-Q and swap them with a set of Nexts.

mtbr member
    I wanna try these narrower Q factor bikes to see how much more comfortable pedalling is compared to 100mm bb fatbike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    I wanna try these narrower Q factor bikes to see how much more comfortable pedalling is compared to 100mm bb fatbike.
    I find that not only are they more comfortable to ride, I can also get a better spin going and can maintain a high cadence

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    With my knee, I can not take a chance. The minute I stepped off the Farley, I knew something was not good. Which led me to all the googling on the subject.

I'd love to only spend $1800 on the Suzi Q aluminum, and add $400 for some Next R cranks to get those extra mm q...but my only, and I mean only dealer for Rocky Mountain within a 4 hour drive doesn't have any to ride.

But the Otso Voytek is only carbon, and starts at over $3K. There's no other choices at this point.

I wish I could ride either for a day and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I find that not only are they more comfortable to ride, I can also get a better spin going and can maintain a high cadence
    This is exactly my observation after I bought my Otso. Moving from my old Spec. Fatboy to the Otso has dramatically reduced some lingering knee pain I've had over the past few years. I'm old (62), but can ride longer and stronger than I have the past few seasons. Not that I live and die by it, but Strava times are much better and I'm setting new PR's pretty regularly. Love my Otso.
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Darn you! Now I'm leaning towards the Voytek. It's twice what I want to spend on a bike that I plan on riding all winter through Chicago crap weather. If I could buy a $1000 cheapo fatbike with narrow Q, I'd be happy.

mtbr member
    Then ride the Otso all year. It is a really good bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I probably would ride it all year, but I have a dialed in 2016 Top Fuel 9.8 XC bike that I like. I'm a XC race guy, so that's my main ride. But over the last 10 years I just quit riding in the winter, and then by the time I get going again when it warms up here, April or so, I'm starting over with my fitness. So I thought I'd get a bike just for winter, and fat bikes look fun. But spending $3,600 for the Voytek puts that bike into a whole 'nother category for me. There is a newish 10-race fatbike series fairly close to me. I'd love to do a few to keep motivated for training. Oct - April. A few are less than an hour away. But they require 3.7" tires or bigger. Otherwise, a trek Stache would be ideal. Get the cheap one, ride it all winter...

mtbr member
    The Voytek trail is only $3099. Or just get the frame and a used set of wheels. That's how a initial built mine

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    3099, but if I'm spending that much, I might as well get the Next cranks and pickup the most mm I can. And I'd do sram GX swap, and a bluto or lauf.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Iím running mine with a Lauf. Itís the only bike I need with a fat wheel set and a B+ wheelset. Great cross country bike. Even if you ride in winter slop, itís not like the frame is going to rust on you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Real Q-factor measurements on Rocky Mountain Suzi-Q-7a71d539-bca4-481b-926b-25a6b5d86e84.jpg  

MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    doesn't anyone make a 3.8 or 4.0 tire narrow Q bike?
    You should look at the Salsa Beargrease, it has a narrower rear end like the Q and in 2018 they also have the 27.5 wheels as well with the 3.8 or 4.0 tires. The NX model retails for $2k with a carbon frame. I am trying to justify the purchase and was liking the Q -50 as well but not sure it would be as good of a fit. My LBS has the Q in large and it looks really small for some reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I looked at the beargrease. It has the same wheel options but a 122 bottom bracket vs 107 of the Voytek and Q. So I ruled it out. But the salsa would be perfect if it had s 107 BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This is a bit belated, but the RSD Sergeant can squeeze in a 3.8 tire. The clearance isn't massive, but it works and the price is right- might even be on sale right now. I love mine so far. Good luck!

tg
    mtbr member
    Affordable,super fun to ride and easy on my old hips/knees. Love my Q!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Real Q-factor measurements on Rocky Mountain Suzi-Q-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015

RSD Sergeant with 3.8" tires

Hey,

I saw your note about fitting 3.8" tires on the Sergeant? Do you happen to have any pictures of that? Also, do you know if this is specific to the Sergeant, or available on other Boost plus bikes? I ordered a Sergeant last year, but it came without rack mounts, which I need for my commute. I was thinking of getting the Jamis Dragonslayer instead, as it has the mounts. I just don't know what clearance they have, and no one from Jamis has responded to my multiple emails on the subject.

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Kyrke

Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    This is a bit belated, but the RSD Sergeant can squeeze in a 3.8 tire. The clearance isn't massive, but it works and the price is right- might even be on sale right now. I love mine so far. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Try this thread for pics: RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)

I suspect that this clearance is largely limited to the sergeant unless you go toward something like the suzi q.

As far as rack mounts, why not use p-clips? I've had good luck with those in the past. Good luck with your search!