Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Racks (car) for fat bikes

I'm in the process of buying a pugs (will have it in a couple weeks), and I'm interested in info. on how people haul their fat bikes. I currently own a Yakima roof system with steelhead fork mount trays and a Kuat Sherpa (wonderful rack, by the way). Both systems have trays that I'm assuming won't accommodate the fat tires. I can always throw the pugs in the back of my truck, but I'm looking for a secure system for longer trips (preferably something that can work with the Yakima system). Info. on adapters, and links to other threads on the subject, if there are any, would be great. Pics would be even better.
    smells like cotton candy.....

mtbr member
    I have both a Yakima roof rack and a Hollywood hitch mount rack. I use the hitch rack for hauling my Pugs, with each wheel double strapped since the tires sit on top of the wheel tray instead of down in it. One strap is enough in most cases, but the second one helps keep the front wheel from turning and it adds some redundancy to the system.

For longer trips (greater than an hour or two) I replace the fat wheels with a pair of standard 26" rear wheels so that they'll fit down in the trays where they'll be more secure. This is mostly for peace of mind though, since the double strap option works well if you do it properly.

Rednose/Greenback
    a 1up Quick Rack should be on your short list of choices. These threads should help.

1up Quick Rack Quick Review.

Rack your Fat: 1upUSA

Fat Rack?
    38 54' -77 15

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Kuat rack. The front tray will hold all tires, including a BFL. The BFL has to be squeezed a bit to get the hook up and over it, but it does work. The rear wheel tray hugs the back tire, but the ratchet strap isn't long enough, so I bungee the back tire in place. My only warning is to keep an eye on the front wheel clamp, the ratcheting system inside the arm froze up once this winter and wouldn't lock down.

mtbr member
    My bike rack is one that you hang the bike on, Softride Access Dura 4-Bike Rack, and not mount using the fork, so it doesn't matter what bike I use, they all fit. I use the same rack for my road, mtb, fatbike, or even a kids bike.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i think you can hack the steelhead. i did this to my yakima:

pugsley yakima roof rack hack by mbeganyi, on Flickr

pull the locking release, go to the hardware store, find some components that fit.
    ~$8.00 in parts, 20 minutes of time.
    takes 2 minutes to swap out. just be sure to leave the appropriate wrench and the original components in the car, in case you need them.

@adelorenzo
    North Shore Rack.
    North Shore Bike Racks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks (car) for fat bikes-jacksonlake-jan-07-2012__0005-159.jpg  

Nuts
    And I love beer!!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I did the same thing as a few others with a cheapo Acera-X hub. I documented it on Flickr:
    Flickr: bundokbiker's stuff tagged with easyhackrack

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    This one works great for me
    Behind the Tow Ball Mounting 3 Bike Rack

Not my Fat Bike but my Rumbefish 29er, but you get the idea

November 28th - Alice Is Ready To Rumble by Johnclimber, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear that the Sherpa will work without any adaptations other than longer straps. As for the Yakima (the rack I generally use for longer trips, since it's on the family truckster), I'll probably find some junk rear wheels and pick up a non-fork-mount tray of some sort.
    smells like cotton candy.....

Geordie biker
    I need a better way of transporting mine......

2013 jones spaceframe - miles 2,019
    2014 cannondale badboy 9 - miles 435
    2014 milage so far - 1,014
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Researched racks and agonized over expense of 1up rack. Got the 1up rack and it flat just works fast on/off, secure, fits BFL's no problem. worth the $$ every time i use it

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    these are tough.

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

they withstood the killer corrugations of the Anne Beadell "Highway" with two Pugs on the back.

Been tot he Simpson Desert and over massive sand dunes.

No problems whatsoever.

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbslim View Post
    Researched racks and agonized over expense of 1up rack. Got the 1up rack and it flat just works fast on/off, secure, fits BFL's no problem. worth the $$ every time i use it
    ++1

Love my 1up with my Muk.

Ologist
    I carry 2 Fatbacks on my 1up hitch rack.The roof rack is not fork mount. By far the best rack made to date. If you are going to mod a roof rack just get a viper or steelhead.

Bite Me.
    Yakima Front Loader - works on the BFL no problem. I just add a couple of toe straps on the wheels to make sure it stays put.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks (car) for fat bikes-rack-1.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I'm still trying to find a way to get a 1up rack up to Alaska without having to pay the crazy 1$00+ price in UPS ground shipping...fml

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For the BFL on clownshoes, I had to modify the front wheel holder of the Thule T2. easy enough, just get some vise grips and a welder's torch to soften and bend the plastic outwards. bungeed the rear wheel to the rack itself. Solid.

Ologist
    Jordy - THave you talked to the 1up guys directly. I don't recall shipping being that much...

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    these are tough.

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

they withstood the killer corrugations of the Anne Beadell "Highway" with two Pugs on the back.

Been tot he Simpson Desert and over massive sand dunes.

No problems whatsoever.

Elvis.
    That is an interesting-looking rack. It's the only other one I've seen that I would think about using to shuttle off-road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The 1upUSA rear hitch rack with the new Fat Tire kit is the ticket. I found some pictures over here at: snowbikes.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

1upUSA with Fat Tire Kit

Racks (car) for fat bikes-1upusa.jpg

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Jordy - THave you talked to the 1up guys directly. I don't recall shipping being that much...
    Few months ago I was qouted $130 for a 1 bike model. Not their fault, ups ground is just spendy to Alaska...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I'm guessing it'll be ok, but want to be sure that someone else hasn't had an issue:

A 1UpUSA with fat conversion kit holding a fat Lefty?

I bought the fat rack adapter, but it doesn't work with my older 1UpUSA racks (from mid-'09), so I need to buy an extra carrier where the fat kit works.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast