RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?

I have a new RaceFace "X-Type Team XC Fatbike Bottom Bracket" and I really can't figure out what the deal is. Trying to fit this to my moonlander.

It has spacer instructions on the sleeve for a 17.5 mm offset but not the moonlander offset, but it still says for a 100mm. I can obviously use the same 1 spacer on the right and none on the left with just the cups... but I'd like to use the sleeve. Thing is if I do that the sleeve is too wide. Not sure how or why.

If I use 2 spacers on the right with the tapered outer MWOD arm spacer, and then one spacer on the left without the tapered arm spacer, my measurement from crankarm to frame come out even, but then there is not enough space between the spindle and crankarm pre-load to tighten it enough - so a little slop.

So, do I set it up spaced like before and cut the sleeve about 2mm out of the center and then gorilla tape it back together? It will at least keep the cups a little better protected. Or what the H am I doing wrong?

nothing to see here
    You will still need to use the correct number of spacers as per the instructions. You can move the 2mm spacers around to alter the chain line, but if one if the spacers is specific to one side or the other, you won't be able to change that. Preloading the crank correctly is essential and that's why you should follow the instructions. If you do this, there'll be no need to cut the sleeve.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

nothing to see here
    I don't think you'll be able to use the mwod spacers with the race face crankset at all actually.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

I'll have to look for the Raceface instructions online.

The Surly instructions look like this (minus the 2 spacers... this is for the mr whirly and not MWOD).

The spacer caps are circled:
    RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?-mr_whirly_general_instructions-1.jpg

The moonlander spacing is supposed to be like this:
    Name:  SUR_BB_instructions_vF-2.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  16.9 KB

If I do this same spacing though with the raceface BB and use those tapered spacers circled above, so that my crankarms are in the same position - the sleeve is too wide.

I'm guessing it is something really simple I am just missing.

nothing to see here
    If you install the raceface cranks with all the spacers on the drive side, does the sleeve fit correctly? And does the crank fit correctly also?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

nothing to see here
    I do have one concern with putting all the spacers on the drive side and that is you reduce the amount of cup threaded into the shell, effectively weakening that cup.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Re: RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I do have one concern with putting all the spacers on the drive side and that is you reduce the amount of cup threaded into the shell, effectively weakening that cup.
    That was my concern too and why i didn't. If it was the DH version I could see because it has more threads... but this is the XC version... gotta keep the steel moonlander light ya know

Just about to go out in the garage so ill get some pics if I can't figure it out.

So I tried 2 spacers on each side with the tapered spacer on the drive side and none on the non drive. That gave enough room for the sleeve to connect and the crankarm to have some room for preload. The drive side crankarm is 1/8" more outboard than the non drive side, not sure if that is a big deal or not.

nothing to see here
    Having the crank offset to one side is not an issue for anything other than your comfort and optimal chainline to the cassette. You may be able to move your cleats around (if you use them) to compensate.

From the picture, it appears as though whilst being able to preload the bearings enough to keep them happy, I can't help but wonder if the crank arm has enough purchase on the spindle. Not to mention that your inner sleeve now probably isn't seated to its O rings and won't keep water out of the bearings.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mr.Green
    It looks to me like you’re missing the ‘B2’ spacer from the picture above and is using to many spacers between your frame and BB…I think you’re only supposed to use one…on the drive side!
    You’re supposed to use both tapered spacers (B1 and B2) on the Moonlander with the Mr. Whirly Crank and the Mr. Whirly 171mm crankaxle!
    Mr.Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I had the same issue with my crank arm hitting the chainstays.. Only option was to put all 3 spacers on one side.. This also is the raceface XC model.. I am not entirely happy with this setup, and as such have bought a new DH version for the very reasons you highlighted (more threads). Although slightly heavier, I can certainly live with that compare to destroying BB all the time..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    So I tried 2 spacers on each side with the tapered spacer on the drive side and none on the non drive. That gave enough room for the sleeve to connect and the crankarm to have some room for preload. The drive side crankarm is 1/8" more outboard than the non drive side, not sure if that is a big deal or not.

What do you use for fender? Can you post pic which has this fender looking thing in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomsen View Post
    It looks to me like you’re missing the ‘B2’ spacer from the picture above and is using to many spacers between your frame and BB…I think you’re only supposed to use one…on the drive side!
    You’re supposed to use both tapered spacers (B1 and B2) on the Moonlander with the Mr. Whirly Crank and the Mr. Whirly 171mm crankaxle!
    Yeah... I explained below why I took that off... this BB appears to need all 3 spacers regardless... 2 spacers arranged any which way and the sleeve is too wide for the cups to be tightened to the frame. If I use both B2 spacers then there isn't enough spindle for the crank arm. 2 spacers on each side seems to be working as I had about 1/16" gap between the spindle and the preload cap... so perfect there. The inner sleeve maybe has a hairline in between the max point it can go. I agree it seems funky with spacers on both sides but this is the only conclusion I could come to in order to meet all the different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    What do you use for fender? Can you post pic which has this fender looking thing in it?
    It's actually the bottom of a ziplock container and it works better than my PDW mudshovel fenders for the BB area. I cut it like a rectange and then rounded the corners. There is the one hole on the chainstay brace, so I drilled a hole in the "fender" and then put the allen screw in there to tighten that spot down... this made it nice and inward-curved as well. Then I cut two holes spaced the width of the seattube and zip tied. This has worked great at keeping the BB area clean even in muddy conditions. And it cost me nothing other than the time to explain to my girlfriend that I didn't know where her ziplock containers went
    Last edited by duggus; 10-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.

You can kind of see it better here. I'll try to get a photo later...

RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?-camerazoom-20130912191247662.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome - thank you!

Mr.Green
    There should not be any issues with the 'sleeve'…
    RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?-img_1034.jpg
    the Moonlander has a 100mm wide BB…and
    RaceFace 100mm fatbike bottom bracket - cut sleeve?-img_1035.jpg
    Mr.Green

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomsen View Post
    There should not be any issues with the 'sleeve'…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	839844
    the Moonlander has a 100mm wide BB
    Hmm... My sleeve is wider than yours?

With sleeve attached to cups it is 10.8cm between cups.

Also, on the sleeve it says Dropout Spacing: 135mm offset: 1x2.5 spacer non-drive; 2x2.5 spacer drive side.

Awesome - thank you!
    Here are pics of my BB mud guard.

mtbr member

Here is a picture of the Team DH BB next to the Team XC 100mm BB. Below is a link I posted last year with some info that might help. I think you need to buy the Team DH and that will work just fine. The sleeve for the 100mm XC BB is longer and that's the problem your running into.

Cheers,

RaceFace 100mm BB

Quote Originally Posted by woody_8_5 View Post
    Here is a picture of the Team DH BB next to the Team XC 100mm BB. Below is a link I posted last year with some info that might help. I think you need to buy the Team DH and that will work just fine. The sleeve for the 100mm XC BB is longer and that's the problem your running into.
    Ahhh... knew something was up. Weird on the sleeve though. Case solved... I think I'm gonna cut the sleeve so it fits with one spacer drive side and none non drive. Sound about right?

Edit: wow... looking at your post I remember seeing it last year. I searched but I guess the Google's weren't with me.

mtbr member

Ahhh... knew something was up. Weird on the sleeve though. Case solved... I think I'm gonna cut the sleeve so it fits with one spacer drive side and none non drive. Sound about right?

Edit: wow... looking at your post I remember seeing it last year. I searched but I guess the Google's weren't with me.
    I don't know much about Moonlanders but do remember seeing a few posts about folks replacing their stock BB with a Shimano XT BB with better results in durability. Good luck dude and hope to see ya up this way in the near future ; )

Cheers

FIXED. Cut it. I still do not get how this could possibly fit a 100mm BB per RaceFace instructions. I cut out the width of 2 spacers and then taped up with the vinyl AG tape I used for my tubeless clownshoe setup. Everything went perfect, 1 spacer drive side and both B2 spacers.

nothing to see here
    win.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member

FIXED. Cut it. I still do not get how this could possibly fit a 100mm BB per RaceFace instructions. I cut out the width of 2 spacers and then taped up with the vinyl AG tape I used for my tubeless clownshoe setup. Everything went perfect, 1 spacer drive side and both B2 spacers.

Franken building usually involves some kind of custom work. Looks like you got it matched up nicely dude, good job ; )

Cheers