Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RaceFace 100mm BB

9K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Andy FitzGibbon 
#1 · (Edited)
Pictures are of the RaceFace Team XC BB that came with my Fat Turbine Crankset and the RaceFace Team DH BB. When the XC inner sleeve was put on the DH BB it ended up being the same length as the XC BB with its original sleeve. The DH BB and the XC BB are both 127.5mm in length when using the XC sleeve. The major difference in the 2 BB's is the DH BB shell is a lot deeper with more cup threading into the frame, the added length of the shell is nice with 2 spacers on the drive side and should improve overall strength.
Cheers

Product Maroon Cylinder Coquelicot

XC (left) 127.5mm / DH (right) 118.8mm
Product Metal Cylinder Tints and shades Wood stain

XC sleeve 86.9mm / DH sleeve 78.1mm
Brown Property Maroon Tan Still life photography

Measurement below is the cup threads.
XC 14.6mm / DH 19.8mm
Brown Wood Line Metal Maroon

XC sleeve for 100mm BB is machined aluminum not plastic like the DH sleeve

See less See more
#3 ·
I’ve been running the team DH BBs for over 3,000 miles of fatbiking. The first one started to develop a noticeable grinding/draggy feel to it after 1,800 miles, but that was because I was constantly dunking it in the sludge/puddles and riding it throughout the rainy season.

#5 ·
I should have my Beargrease frame set in the next week or 2 and will be able to give a better review of the cranks after I have a few rides on them. RaceFace moved the chain line out on all of their Fatbike crank sets so these are not your average Turbines with a 100mm spindle pressed in. I had nothing but problems with last years e.13 crank set. BB issues that was fixed by putting in a Enduro BB and after fixing the BB problem a few months later the non drive side crank arm started to develop play on the spindle. I sent the crank set back to e.13 for warranty replacement and they sent a new crank set back after inspection, good customer service with e.13. I ended up selling the new e.13 cranks and this ended up paying for the new Turbines. I had a chance to look at the new e.13 double crank set out of this years Muk2 and was not impressed, especially with the plastic bearing pre load system. The RaceFace cranks look very solid and well made so it will be interesting to see how they hold up compared to the experiences I had with e.13.

Cheers

Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Steel

Circle Machine Steel

Floor Flooring Hardwood Carbon Bicycle part

Brown Stationery Lipstick Purple Magenta

Text Font Rectangle Number Carbon

Product Audio equipment Technology Magenta Cylinder

#7 · (Edited)
I have never been a guy that counts grams or made purchases based off them. I have a few things to do at the LBS tomorrow and will get the total weight of this set up. Not going to post what I payed but here is MSRP cost for everything.

100mm Fat Turbine crank arms with Team XC BB - $200.00

Team DH BB - $49.00

RaceFace 32t Light Bash Guard-$35.00

10 speed 32t Turbine chainring-$44.00

10 speed 22t Turbine chainring-$25.00

Chainring bolts-$12.00

Total-$365.00

#8 ·
Brilliant pics, Thanks! Way better than the RF site.
I'm trying a pair out as well(when they arrive), I opted for 24/36/Bash config. and I guess I'll start with the XC BB but the DH BB looks like the bomber set-up. Both spindle and crank arm machining looks stellar, thanks again for the info and pics.

#9 ·
-----------------
Pictures are of the RaceFace Team XC BB that came with my Fat Turbine Crankset and the RaceFace Team DH BB. When the XC inner sleeve was put on the DH BB it ended up being the same length as the XC BB with its original sleeve. The DH BB and the XC BB are both 127.5mm in length when using the XC sleeve. The major difference in the 2 BB's is the DH BB shell is a lot deeper with more cup threading into the frame, the added length of the shell is nice with 2 spacers on the drive side and should improve overall strength.​
-----------------

I'm not sure I understand. As pictured, are the BBs intended for different shell sizes? The Team DH BB (on the right) says for 100mm shells but looks notably narrower than the Team XC as pictured. Or does the Team XC rely on more spacers?

#11 ·
I'm not sure why there is are difference in lengths with the 2. All is care about is the DH BB ended up being the same length as the stock Team XC BB that came with the crank set. I ordered the DH BB at the same time as the cranks and when I saw the difference in length I had a WTF moment until I tried the swap and took some measurements. If the stock sleeve in the DH BB was used it would bearing meet up with the other cup and after a few spacers I'm not sure if it would.

#12 ·
AFAIK The DH is narrower to allow for more adjustability. The XC assumes full width with required spacers. It may simply come down to Raceface assuming a certain amount of room/play was needed for the DH, and then by the time they made the XC, they realized it was unnecessary and took out the slop in the spacer and made the cups lighter/cheaper for XC.
I have the DH version, and it went together just fine regardless.

#21 ·
Race Face Aluminum - EXI cranksets feature the industry standard ISIS Drive spline for the interface between the RH crank arm and
the BB spindle.
That is from Race Face's crank installation instructions https://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/B10069_Aluminum_EXI_Crankset.pdf I believe that Hammerschmidt cranks use the ISIS spline pattern on one side as well.

It is irrelevant, though as current Race Face cranks all have the spindle pressed into the non-drive side crank. It isn't removable (well, not unless you destroy the crank!) Thus they have to be used with an external cup BB from Race Face or another manufacturer.

An ISIS BB had the spindle as part of the BB and the cranks bolted on to each end like this

ISIS cranks both had a 10 spline interface that attached them to the BB with a bolt along the spindle axis. This is a good view of the 10 spline pattern on both the drive and non-drive cranks

#25 · (Edited)
differenter

" I believe that Hammerschmidt cranks use the ISIS spline pattern on one side as well."

Hammerschmidt uses a proprietary Hammerschmidt standard of b/b spline, different again. The Hussefelt and a few other cranks uses a different one again: its like a beefed up isis. truvativ does make isis and howitzer b/bs for 100mm b/b shells though.

#29 · (Edited)
Interbike 2008:

EXI interface details from Race Face:

Our EXI interface was developed to improve the ease of installation of our cranks without compromising the durability and security of the highly stressed interface area. The EXI BB spindle comes equipped with standard ISIS splines on one side of the spindle which allows for standard ISIS puller tools to be used for removal. The ISIS splines also allows for the crank arm to seat half way on the spindle before tightening. The EXI interface retains Race Face’s unique chainline adjustability with the 1mm chainline spacers which now sit directly on the integrated crank stopper which is installed into the crank arm reducing the amount of loose parts.

Oh, and it also says so on the RF website if you click on the description for the Atlas cranks:
Introducing the second generation Atlas cranks. Continuing to utilize the same proprietary OPTIM-AL alloy (20% stronger than 7050) these cranks have been updated to utilize our EXI (external ISIS) interface for improved user installation and removal. In the process we have been able to sculpt away between 31 and 81grams depending on configuration from our first generation offering without sacrificing any strength, producing our lightest big hit, freeride cranks ever! 822g (165x36T, w68/73 + BB) 842g (165x36T, w83 + BB)

I thought that EXI was ISIS, but I wasn't sure, so I dug up this article about the raceface cranks. I think the Raceface cranks are probably the best out there. I don't know yet where the best place to buy is, or which ones to get, but I probably will try the atlas.

#31 ·
Weights

I weighed my 175mm arms at 655 grams. With a 32t single ring and alloy bolts, 696 grams. The Race Face bottom bracket is 113 grams with the Delrin spacers and the packet of hardware, chainring spacer, pedal spacers and inner bolts is 22 grams.

I'm running mine with a King bottom bracket with no sleeve and it's been absolutely terrific with no issues loosening like I had with last year's e13.

#34 ·
So I have a RaceFace Diabolous 100mm downhill crank and a 100mm RaceFace DH bottom bracket and am aiming for a 66mm chainline on an OnOne fatty. Am I going to be able to make this work do you think? Looking at a single 32t chainring where the middle ring would go and a bash where the outer would go.

Can't try it yet because my bottom bracket tool is out on loan till the start of January...

#36 ·
I put a Race Face Evolve 24-36-bash fatbike crank on my Fatty. Per Race Face, its a 67 mm chainline when set up stock (per their recommended spacer configuration). There is 1 mm (yes, 1 mm!) clearance between my 36 middle ring and the chainstay. The 24 has plenty of space. I think that your 32 will be just fine, even if the chainline is slightly inboard of mine.

The original crank was a Truvativ Holzefeller 32 with Howitzer BB; chainline unknown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.