Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    montana_ben
    Turbine with stock bb cups, set up is 1x (32t) & bash. So far so good...

I thought the shop would have a scale like yours for a more accurate weight but this is what they had. I would hope the true weight is not much more from what you came up with.

RaceFace 100mm BB-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354919961.075033.jpg
    Last edited by woody_8_5; 12-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bjfalken View Post
    definitely not isis. the whole point of external cups is a bigger spindle diameter. x-type big, isis little. like hollowtech2 vs octalink.
    I don't see how people are taking a crank arm atatchment interface standard and applying it to a type of BB bearing design. ISIS splined is a standard for the way the crank arm atatches, that's it!

there are different types of ISIS BBs some are cartridge type with the spindle stuck in it, some are external cup bearings, some have the spindle in one arm, left or right, some have a separate spindle, and surly even has one that has ISIS on one side, and another standard on the other side.

the only fatbike cranks that don't use ISIS splined that I've seen are the E13s and the old JIS square drive cheapos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ugh. just trying to be helpful. isis is a crank/b/b interface standard true, but only on older isis cranks and b/bs: truvativ raceface ect. anything else is not isis, is not isis compatible. race face x-type is not isis. the only fatbike cranks that do not use isis are everything except isis cranks.
    Last edited by bjfalken; 12-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Interbike 2008:

EXI interface details from Race Face:

Our EXI interface was developed to improve the ease of installation of our cranks without compromising the durability and security of the highly stressed interface area. The EXI BB spindle comes equipped with standard ISIS splines on one side of the spindle which allows for standard ISIS puller tools to be used for removal. The ISIS splines also allows for the crank arm to seat half way on the spindle before tightening. The EXI interface retains Race Face’s unique chainline adjustability with the 1mm chainline spacers which now sit directly on the integrated crank stopper which is installed into the crank arm reducing the amount of loose parts.

Oh, and it also says so on the RF website if you click on the description for the Atlas cranks:
    Introducing the second generation Atlas cranks. Continuing to utilize the same proprietary OPTIM-AL alloy (20% stronger than 7050) these cranks have been updated to utilize our EXI (external ISIS) interface for improved user installation and removal. In the process we have been able to sculpt away between 31 and 81grams depending on configuration from our first generation offering without sacrificing any strength, producing our lightest big hit, freeride cranks ever! 822g (165x36T, w68/73 + BB) 842g (165x36T, w83 + BB)

I thought that EXI was ISIS, but I wasn't sure, so I dug up this article about the raceface cranks. I think the Raceface cranks are probably the best out there. I don't know yet where the best place to buy is, or which ones to get, but I probably will try the atlas.
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 12-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ah, i see your point. RaceFace is just Bell Sports now anyway. i'm going to use my old internal b/b 3 piece isis system turbine cranks till OD cranks are available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Weights

I weighed my 175mm arms at 655 grams. With a 32t single ring and alloy bolts, 696 grams. The Race Face bottom bracket is 113 grams with the Delrin spacers and the packet of hardware, chainring spacer, pedal spacers and inner bolts is 22 grams.

I'm running mine with a King bottom bracket with no sleeve and it's been absolutely terrific with no issues loosening like I had with last year's e13.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    175mm turbine arms and BB for 209.99. good deal?
    RaceFace Turbine Fatbike 175mm Black Crank Arms with 100mm BB | eBay

mtbr member
    Here are some other options:

Universal Cycles -- Product Search - 4 Products

Tim

BikeBerk
    Dec 2012
    So I have a RaceFace Diabolous 100mm downhill crank and a 100mm RaceFace DH bottom bracket and am aiming for a 66mm chainline on an OnOne fatty. Am I going to be able to make this work do you think? Looking at a single 32t chainring where the middle ring would go and a bash where the outer would go.

Can't try it yet because my bottom bracket tool is out on loan till the start of January...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Am I going to be able to make this work do you think? Looking at a single 32t chainring where the middle ring would go and a bash where the outer would go.
    I believe / think it would be fine........but then i was wrong once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I put a Race Face Evolve 24-36-bash fatbike crank on my Fatty. Per Race Face, its a 67 mm chainline when set up stock (per their recommended spacer configuration). There is 1 mm (yes, 1 mm!) clearance between my 36 middle ring and the chainstay. The 24 has plenty of space. I think that your 32 will be just fine, even if the chainline is slightly inboard of mine.

The original crank was a Truvativ Holzefeller 32 with Howitzer BB; chainline unknown.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    ...the only fatbike cranks that don't use ISIS splined that I've seen are the E13s and the old JIS square drive cheapos.
    Phil Wood makes some very highquality JIS Bottom Brackets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Was just getting things rolling with them as a supplier so I just put the RaceFace evolve crankest on one of my builds. Rode it for a couple hundred miles and did an endurance fat bike race with it and so far is like a champ! Customer service is outstanding also. Will try the Turbine next time. I'm very happy with the quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Update? How are they in use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    RaceFace DH BB didn't play well with my Fatback frame.. some thread got mangled from the chainstay holes in the BB shell... it threads in okay, just has a bit of resistance.
    That's why you chase the threads before installing a BB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2