I've been using the newer Surly tubes with the replaceable valve cores, putting Stans inside them. Unfortunately I got a leaky one that went flat the morning of the Farmer's race, which I swapped out before the race started. Later, I pumped it up and really tightened the valve hard, it held air fine over 2 days. So I removed the valve core, and cut off a small piece of plumber's tape and wrapped it around the threads. Screwed back in place rather easy considering it had tape on it. Problem solved, I've put the tube back in and it's held air all week and I just did a long ride today. No air loss.
Appears the leaks are on the outside of the core, not the inside. Didn't find the earlier posts on this, remembered a few others here with the same problem.
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Quick fix for Surly tube