mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Question about surly mwod crankset arms

hey folks,
    so the Necro i bought is a 16" with 170mm arms. my other bikes have 175mm arms.

i've seen the arms of the Mr Whirly cranksets for sale seperately on ebay, are they the same arms as the MWOD crank arms?

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes, the arms are the same. The MW arms work with a number of different Surly spiders depending on application, in your case the offset double.

mtbr member
    A bit shorter crank arms is a good idea on a fat bike for a couple of reasons. First, because of the wide Q-factor they are more prone to pedal strike, but shorter arms help against it. Second, your feet are further apart, so shorter arms make sense much like you can use a shorter stem with a wider handle bar.

I have 180 mm crank arms on my Prophet and 175 mm on the 20" Moonlander and I've liked the shorter arms on a fattie. Just choose your gear ratios accordingly and you won't lose any climbing ability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hey thanks for the info guys. you know it's not that i've noticed a problem, my head just tells me i should have 175mm arms. i have 175 on my long haul trucker and on my 29er dualie, which is fine.

to be honest, i only have about 2 hours real riding time on my fattie so might leave it for a bit longer and see if i notice the difference.

thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    I had the same question pop into my head when I first got my Necromancer. I ran 180mm ENO cranks on my SS 29er for years. Been riding the 175mm on the Necro for about 350 miles and love them. Glad I gave them a chance. The 175mm feel really good on the Fatty bike.
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, definately going to give it some time on the bike before i swap them out.

cheers
    Steve