mtbr member
    Jun 2005

QR Vs TA? 190mm Vs 170mm - Hate to ask...

Hi there. I was looking at buying a fat bike from BikesDirect, and my choices are the Boris and Sturgis. I will say that I do like the way the Sturgis looks more so than the Boris, but that's not enough to make a decision on (or maybe it is...) Anyway, the glaring differences to me are the thru axles vs the quick release. And the rear hub spacing, 190mm for the Sturgis, and 170mm for the Boris. From what I've read, thru axles are stronger than quick release, but is there any other benefit? As for the rear spacing, I am concerned about a "standard" size for the future. I wouldn't want to get the 170mm, just to find that down the road, it's obsolete, and impossible to find replacements. Of course, same could be said for the 190mm. I don't mind spending more for the Sturgis, if it makes a difference, but I also don't mind saving money and buying the Boris if the differences are negligible. So what do you all think? Choices between the two? pros and cons? Anything to be concerned about? Oh, one more thing? Is the Boris a symmetrical rear end?
    I live in So Cal, and don't plan on riding on any snow. Trails, and maybe the beach's are what I'll ride mostly. And I am a Clyde. Not sure if it matters, but I am. And wider tires are not really a concern for me. So if the 190mm is beneficial to run super wide tires, that really doesn't matter much to me.
    Sorry for the long winded post, just hoping to get some answers.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Here's what I got when I asked the questioj earlier this year in the BD Fat Bike thread. Was helpful to me.

---Quote (Originally by OnThaCouch)---
    Can someone give an "in a nutshell" summary of the pros/cons of the 135/170/190 axle widths? Thanks.
    ---End Quote---
    135: can use inexpensive (or very expensive) 135 hubs- they're cheap and easy to find, can also use common IGH hubs, can swap wheels front to bak if you want. Asymetrical wheel build supposedly makes building summer wheels/29er wheels difficult.

170: wider than 135, hubs fairly common, symmetrical wheel build makes building summer wheels/29er wheels a lot easier, supposedly fits wider tires. the middle child size, will probably be abandoned in favor of 190. Because bigger is always better?

190: Really wide, allows for bigger tires on bigger rims. Hubs less common, symetrical wheel build makes building summer wheels/29er wheels a lot easier.

addicted to chunk
    I think with the wide rear ends and fat tire extra grip, a rear thru axle is a great choice....
    Riding.....

Nuts
    The 170 vs 190 is very subjective and most will say qr's are OK but most will not deny they would rather have a thru axle. There my political correct answer.
    And I love beer!!

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The 170 vs 190 is very subjective and most will say qr's are OK but most will not deny they would rather have a thru axle. There my political correct answer.
    I hit my chain-stays periodically with my heals on my 190. I don't like that. But, my guess is both the 190 and 170 standards are here to stay. The narrower one is for trails and the wider is for expeditions.

...and I agree QR's are fine (even on 190s), but if I don't remember to lube the qr pivot point periodically--which allows higher tightening force--they can loosen up on rough trails.
    --Peace

I think we're going to find standardization in hubs to go this way

135mm - "regular" mtb tires <4" and asymmetrical fat bikes that are less expensive
    170mm - symmetrical 4" tire fat bikes that tend to be more all-rounders
    190mm - symmetrical 5" tire fat bikes that are more optimized for ~100mm rims and maximum flotation.

Maybe we will see something go even fatter in the future. Maybe it will use one of the existing wider hubs in an asymmetrical frame to accomplish this.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think 170 is here to stay, Salsa seems to be supporting it along with several other smaller manufacturers. You *can* fit bigger tires in 170 if the bike is designed for it and you are ok with 1x-whatever, but 190 is the go-to size for the fattest fat with the most gears still.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the replies so far. I think I may be leaning back towards the boris. I really don't want the fastest tires, and I haven't had a problem with quick releases so far. So does any one know if the boris is symmetrical? Or is it off set?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    170 bikes are symmetrical.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.