mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Q-Factor for Dummies

I see the Cannondale CAAD Fat claims to have the best/narrowest Q-Factor in the fat bike market. With a 198 rear hub & 120 bottom bracket, I don't see how this would be possible. Can someone explain this to me in simpleton language, say... compared to a Pug?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Same q-factor as a Pug or any other 170 frame. They sculpt the chainstays to allow the arms to clear, then run them with a single ring flipped outward for tire clearance.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    I see the Cannondale CAAD Fat claims to have the best/narrowest Q-Factor in the fat bike market. With a 198 rear hub & 120 bottom bracket, I don't see how this would be possible. Can someone explain this to me in simpleton language, say... compared to a Pug?
    Q factor is going to be a factor of spindle length, but also with the specific crank arms used (as well as pedal spindles).

The Hollowgram crank arms probably just have a narrower Q for the arms than most others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    so what is the Q-factor on the Cannondale?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    198 single & 204 double I believe

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think that Cannondale´s claim is that, for bikes able to fit up to 5¨ tires, they offer the narrowest q-factor, which is true as far as I can tell. For example, the Farley has big clearance and takes the Next Sl 170mm crankset, but that crankset´s q-factor is around 202mm.

In the case of the Pugsley, you can have a narrower q-factor than Cannondale´s Hollowgram cranks, such as when using the Sram xx1 170mm cranks (195mm q-factor, which do not fit the Farley), or a Phil BB and Eno cranks. However, the Pugsley does not fit 5¨ tires. I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    I think that Cannondale´s claim is that, for bikes able to fit up to 5¨ tires, they offer the narrowest q-factor, which is true as far as I can tell. For example, the Farley has big clearance and takes the Next Sl 170mm crankset, but that crankset´s q-factor is around 202mm.

In the case of the Pugsley, you can have a narrower q-factor than Cannondale´s Hollowgram cranks, such as when using the Sram xx1 170mm cranks (195mm q-factor, which do not fit the Farley), or a Phil BB and Eno cranks. However, the Pugsley does not fit 5¨ tires. I hope that helps.
    Great info. Thanks for posting it up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    198 single & 204 double I believe
    I did not look on their website but it's interesting that they have different Q-factors for single vs double chainring. They must be doing something similar to Raceface with the single ring and no spider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I did not look on their website but it's interesting that they have different Q-factors for single vs double chainring. They must be doing something similar to Raceface with the single ring and no spider.
    With a single ring they have the C/S clearance to use the short spindle. With a double there is not enough C/S clearance and they use the longer spindle. Spiders and rings don't have anything to do with Q. There are a few bikes out there that have room for " 5" " tires while utilizing 190 r hub spacing in conjunction with a narrow "170" spindle on order to get a narrow Q.