Thread: Q-factor

Eat the Earth

Q-factor

Has anyone measured their Q-factor? Curious to see what others have come up with...

My pedals seemed super wide, even for a fat bike. I have a Pugsley with Truvativ Husselfelt cranks and I measured ~8.5" from the outer part of one crank arm to the outer part of the other (right where the pedals thread in).

To do this, I remove the non-drive side arm and swung it around so it was parallel with the other, then measured.

8.5" feels super wide! What Q-factor are others dealing with???

mtbr member
    With FSA carbon cranks and FSA BB....Measured 8.25 inches or 210mm using your method.

Eat the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    With FSA carbon cranks and FSA BB....Measured 8.25 inches or 210mm using your method.
    Thanks. Not much of a difference, really...

Nobby - which bike? 100mm BB?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an FSA Afterburner on a Gigapipe BB at 8.19", an FSA Fatback at 8.5" and a Middleburn square taper on an old Race Face BB at 7.88" The irony is the Fatback crank is on my wifes' bike and she is very short. It has tons of clearance for wide rims and tires though.
    Latitude 61

Eat the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I have an FSA Afterburner on a Gigapipe BB at 8.19", an FSA Fatback at 8.5" and a Middleburn square taper on an old Race Face BB at 7.88" The irony is the Fatback crank is on my wifes' bike and she is very short. It has tons of clearance for wide rims and tires though.

Thanks Sryanak!

7.88" would be nice. Didn't know Race Face made a 100mm BB...

I have some older Race Face Evolve XC crankarms I'd like to use but can't find a light weight, Isis BB in 100mm... ?

mtbr member
    I run FSA platinum DH in the Mooney and Fatback.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieWonka View Post
    Has anyone measured their Q-factor? Curious to see what others have come up with...

My pedals seemed super wide, even for a fat bike. I have a Pugsley with Truvativ Husselfelt cranks and I measured ~8.5" from the outer part of one crank arm to the outer part of the other (right where the pedals thread in).

To do this, I remove the non-drive side arm and swung it around so it was parallel with the other, then measured.

8.5" feels super wide! What Q-factor are others dealing with???
    My Profile Racing setup is ~220mm.

Same cranks on my other bikes is ~180mm.

I barely notice the difference, using 180-185mm cranks. Except I need wider gaps to prevent pedal strikes.

I do notice a difference with narrower Q cranks and shorter arms. Makes my knees sore.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I do notice a difference with narrower Q cranks and shorter arms. Makes my knees sore.
    I have the exact opposite issue, I'm runnin' 160mm cranks on my Pug, feels nearly identical 175mm on my XC bike (but with the obvious reduction in leverage on the Pug)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Sryanak!

7.88" would be nice. Didn't know Race Face made a 100mm BB...

I have some older Race Face Evolve XC crankarms I'd like to use but can't find a light weight, Isis BB in 100mm... ?
    I don't think they made very many. I just lucked into it on E Bay. I also just picked up a Race Face Isis that is 100 gms lighter than the Gigapipe. It is still in the mail but I'm hoping it turns better than the gigapipe. That needs to be greased with a winter lube because it gets very stiff when it's below 0 F.

Phil makes a very nice bb but I could get the whole Fatback crank for only $30.00 more than the Phil bb.
    Latitude 61

Eat the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    I run FSA platinum DH in the Mooney and Fatback.
    Cool. I see a couple on ebay. Just need to see if a 148mm spindle length would work on the Pug... as a 3x9

rmb
    mtbr member
    Cool. I see a couple on ebay. Just need to see if a 148mm spindle length would work on the Pug... as a 3x9
    Pretty sure that mine is the same, and I'm switching to Phil Wood. You can have my bb, it is a year old and seems ok. It's free and you can test it out, and see if it works for you.

Eat the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb View Post
    Pretty sure that mine is the same, and I'm switching to Phil Wood. You can have my bb, it is a year old and seems ok. It's free and you can test it out, and see if it works for you.
    Well, you can't beat that!

What kind of beer do you like?