mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Pugsley with two 9/10 speed hubs?

So I decided to build up a fat bike and went with the Pugsley and two large marge wheels with XT 9/10 speed for front/rear. Looking through the threads I found that a few people run this way but I was wondering if there are any issues with doing that? Other than weight and I guess reliability of a SS hub is there a reason why I might want to switch the front to SS? I figured that I can always convert the 9/10 into a SS but I don't see myself going SS. I was also figuring if I ever wanted to convert to SS I can always use a conversion kit on the 9/10 hub. Any thoughts?

thnx

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey norcom I'm finishing mine soon...

is about emergencies...If your RD setup got F$ck3d up due to Florida Sand, I don't see how another 9 speed cassette will help you get back pedaling, and I don't see the "practical practice" on having a spare RD very appealing...with a damaged RD you will be forced to do SS...if the damage is not that bad...which put you again on having a SS front setup more...appealing?

I'm doing it SS on front.

where I am I won't see snow or sand too often... If were doing this again I would have chosen the symmetrical 100mm front hub path...think about that...I think the price for and offset 135mm complete front setup can be compared to a 100mm front hub setup including the new fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    is about emergencies...If your RD setup got F$ck3d up due to Florida Sand, I don't see how another 9 speed cassette will help you get back pedaling, and I don't see the "practical practice" on having a spare RD very appealing...with a damaged RD you will be forced to do SS...if the damage is not that bad...which put you again on having a SS front setup more...appealing?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. If the rear derailleur got damaged and I had the front setup as a single speed with the SS 9/10 conversion kit I could still have the SS. Having the exact same hub front and rear leaves me with only two different spoke lengths. And if the freehub failed, I always have another one up front.

I've read that the offset fork's a little more sluggish but I'm hoping that I wont try to go for speed on this bike; I have two other bikes I use for that. Though I plan on using this bike in parks and trails I would never take my other bikes. They will be mostly sand.

Guess I can start to carry a spare derailleur it's not THAT heavy but the hanger is not replaceable... there's always some drawback.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    ..Having the exact same hub front and rear leaves me with only two different spoke lengths...
    I'm not an expert...but I don't know if this is enough reason to have the same hub on front...if you are going to SSd the 9speed hub why don't you start with a SS hub?

Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    ...And if the freehub failed, I always have another one up front...
    The SS hub will do that too....I went SS not fixie on mine.

anyways...hopefully some of the fat bike masters will help you out here.

If you already bought the whole setup...you are doing it wrong opening this thread!...finish it and enjoy it as it is!
    Last edited by martinsillo; 06-01-2010 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    If you already bought the whole setup...you are doing it wrong opening this thread!...finish it and enjoy it as it is!
    I just went and changed the order to a SS Surly up front and the XT 9/10 for the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hi, i have a pug with 2 wheelsets, one 29er, one 26 LM.
    the reason that people go SS for the front hub is the annoying rachet of the hub!!!

hope hubs will drive you nuts after a while and make you deaf !!

i ended up zip tying a random old cassette cog to the spokes....problem solved

i

Self-defeatist
    When I was building my Pug, I found that most of the people with the most hours on snow bikes downplayed the importance of interchangeability. Having a single cog to limp out on is more than enough for mortals. My advice would be to build what you have and leave the front hub bare. Carrying a spare cassette and derailleur seems like major overkill. If you wouldn't do it on your other bikes, why do it on this one?

The Pug hanger is not replaceable because it's steel and less likely to snap. If it bends you bend it back.

EDIT: I didn't see your last post. I think you did the right thing.
    I'm covered in beer.