Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Just A Mountain Biker.

Pugsley still a safe bet?

Fat curious after a couple of test rides, torn between Fat & 29+. As far as fat, with all of the new tech coming out and it changing so fast, is a 2014 Pugsley still a good option? With things like hub spacing, tire width restrictions, rear wheel offset due to 135mm hub seeming to be evolving, I don't want to buy "old tech" and regret it. I know the bike is probably heavy (any weight info for a medium would be great), but this would be for a 2nd bike to jack around on when I am not on my VerHauen. So I don't need the latest and greatest everything, but I don't want ot regret my purchase. 2014 Krampus & Pugsley are on blowout at my LBS, so I'd like to make a decision fairly quickly.

Riding in AZ, so more sand and desert singletrack than anything else. Would like to bikepack at some point. If I missed anything let me know.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Pugsley will always be a safe bet- they're the cockroaches of the bike world (and I mean that in the best way)- drop an atom bomb on one and everything around it will melt or mutate into a recumbent, the pugs will ride away unscratched.

Only thing I'd say about the pugs is, they are not worth full price. If you can get the price nearer to $1000 than $1700, go for it.

29ers Forever
    Pugsley was one of the first, and is undoubtedly one of the best, if not THE best fat bike that you can buy.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Fat curious after a couple of test rides, torn between Fat & 29+. As far as fat, with all of the new tech coming out and it changing so fast, is a 2014 Pugsley still a good option? With things like hub spacing, tire width restrictions, rear wheel offset due to 135mm hub seeming to be evolving, I don't want to buy "old tech" and regret it. I know the bike is probably heavy (any weight info for a medium would be great), but this would be for a 2nd bike to jack around on when I am not on my VerHauen. So I don't need the latest and greatest everything, but I don't want ot regret my purchase. 2014 Krampus & Pugsley are on blowout at my LBS, so I'd like to make a decision fairly quickly.

Riding in AZ, so more sand and desert singletrack than anything else. Would like to bikepack at some point. If I missed anything let me know.
    There is no doubt that the Pugsley is "old tech". Whether or not you'll regret it is something I can't answer. I don't regret my Pugs.

Based on your intended use the only real issue I see is that the Pugs can't take a tapered fork like the Bluto. If you are cool with running rigid or going with something obscure like a Lefty than you are fine.

I've got a Pugs from back in 2008. It was a great bike back then and it's still a great bike. It's hanging on my wall at the moment as I don't live somewhere that's very fat friendly, but when I head to the beach next or have a trip planned to some place with snow I'll pull it down and it will rock and roll dependably like always.

My GF's Pugs is getting transformed to a 29+ bikepacking rig this winter. If I didn't already own a Krampus I'd do the same with mine and use it more regularly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    as has been said previously not worth retail, but like 1K

rth009
    May 2010
    Ive never ridden a Krampus, but if I was in AZ and wasn't planning on riding snow, Id go for the Krampus (assuming it fit me and I liked the way it rode in the LBS parking lot).

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Ive never ridden a Krampus, but if I was in AZ and wasn't planning on riding snow, Id go for the Krampus (assuming it fit me and I liked the way it rode in the LBS parking lot).
    The thing with the Krampus is that *in my mind* it doesn't open up any new trail possibilities for me. It just become a bigger, heavier, longer version of my 29"er. I liked it in the parking lot, but came away from it kind of "meh". Didn't love it, didn't hate it, didn't feel the need to rush right out. Now the fat Farley I rode was a different story, I was blasting sand washes and had a permagrin the entire time. Enough to make me want to look into it more, but not go broke in the process.

rth009
    May 2010
    The thing with the Krampus is that *in my mind* it doesn't open up any new trail possibilities for me. It just become a bigger, heavier, longer version of my 29"er. I liked it in the parking lot, but came away from it kind of "meh". Didn't love it, didn't hate it, didn't feel the need to rush right out. Now the fat Farley I rode was a different story, I was blasting sand washes and had a permagrin the entire time. Enough to make me want to look into it more, but not go broke in the process.
    How fat of a tire do you run on your VerHauen? Is it rigid? If you are already riding 2.4s and rigid, you are probably right, that the Krampus wouldn't open much up. I was thinking the krampus might be good enough for desert sand and . . . Pugsley's are pigs. Krampus is far more sexy. Ive got a 29er hardtail with 2.4s and a Mukluk with Nate/Bud, so Ive got Krampus envy.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    How fat of a tire do you run on your VerHauen? Is it rigid? If you are already riding 2.4s and rigid, you are probably right, that the Krampus wouldn't open much up. I was thinking the krampus might be good enough for desert sand and . . . Pugsley's are pigs. Krampus is far more sexy. Ive got a 29er hardtail with 2.4s and a Mukluk with Nate/Bud, so Ive got Krampus envy.
    I run a 2.35" on my front-suspended VerHauen. Truth is I could go rigid on it, just haven't felt compelled to spend $500 on a Whisky fork when the extra couple of pounds on my suspended fork doesn't bother me.

I don't think the Krampus makes that much sense for what I want, which is something "different". I wasn't impressed in the sand as much as I thought I would be, and those extra big wheels/tires are harder to turn over in those soft conditions. With a FAT I think I am more apt to do some exploring, head out on some of the older moto desert trails and see what's off the beaten path. If I was looking for a gravel grinder or longer distance "comfort mileage" I would definitely go for the Krampus.

But who knows, I could stumble into the shop and have a moment of weakness and end up with a Krampus anyways because I am schizophrenic like that...

mtbr member

Re: Pugsley still a safe bet?

This is very true. It's simply a different riding experience. At least that's how I feel about mine.

rth009
    May 2010

I don't think the Krampus makes that much sense for what I want, which is something "different". I wasn't impressed in the sand as much as I thought I would be, and those extra big wheels/tires are harder to turn over in those soft conditions. With a FAT I think I am more apt to do some exploring, head out on some of the older moto desert trails and see what's off the beaten path. If I was looking for a gravel grinder or longer distance "comfort mileage" I would definitely go for the Krampus.

But who knows, I could stumble into the shop and have a moment of weakness and end up with a Krampus anyways because I am schizophrenic like that...
    Well that settles it, you definitely want/need a fat bike. But I'd keep saving though and get something better than a Pugs, especially now that we appear to have entered the golden age of fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pugs is what it is. Some actually LIKE the idiosyncracies of it, or the connection to the early days. I look forward to riding mine until I can no longer ride anything.
    For me the biggest draw is the fact that it's steel, and outdated technology; in my eyes a carbon bike with a scratched and a beat chainstay protector looks tragic. An aluminum bike in the same situation looks abused, but a steel bike with battle scars from end-to-end looks well-loved. Your opinion may be different.

There will probably always be a market for the Pugsley, but it will evolve into a niche thing, and Surly may one day stop offering completes. But the fat market will remain, and there will be abundant $600 bikes. You'll be old and decrepit before 135 hubs and offset-drilled rims are hard to find.

My advice? Compare the geometry with bikes you have loved, and dont spend too much time worrying about the weight if you're a recreational rider. Rent one and ride the heck our of it. Then decide.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Pugsley will always be a safe bet- they're the cockroaches of the bike world (and I mean that in the best way)- drop an atom bomb on one and everything around it will melt or mutate into a recumbent, the pugs will ride away unscratched.

Only thing I'd say about the pugs is, they are not worth full price. If you can get the price nearer to $1000 than $1700, go for it.
    +1. If you can get it for close to $1k-1200 AND you really like your LBS, go for it. Otherwise, the X9 Boris or Lurch, from Bikesdirect.com is a better value.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    +1. If you can get it for close to $1k-1200 AND you really like your LBS, go for it. Otherwise, the X9 Boris or Lurch, from Bikesdirect.com is a better value.
    But not yet available ~ correct?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    But not yet available ~ correct?
    Mid august, iirc. They've been pretty good about delivering on time, too.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The pugs is a great bike for trails. My wife and I have had Mukluks for about 2 !/2 years now and She got a pugsley this spring. We built hers up from a frameset so it's a little different from what is available. The Pugs is more nimble handling than my first gen Mukluk. It has a very neutral feel when on dirt. The 3.8 tires on Marge Light rims are perfect for sand. We used to ride (10-15 years ago) in the Anza Borrego desert and could only dream of that kind of floatation. Now we live in the Utah Mountains and use our fat bikes in snow and occasionally dirt trails. I am waiting to build a RSD Mutant which is similar to a Krampus, I like the rolling of the 29+. I think you would be well served by either one. Ride both and choose your favorite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Like a dumb-ass, I sold my first Pugs to pursue the next greatest thing- a light weight first-year Beargrease with all the bells and whistles, and quickly found how much I missed the Pugs, so I ended up getting another one. Along the way I had to get 2 additional one for my wife and daughter because they liked riding mine so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I had to get 2 additional one for my wife and daughter because they liked riding mine so much.
    Is there room for any more family members? I'm respectful and appreciative...
    No fuss with the MUSS

The Dog.
    I have a beargrease carbon, and I still miss my pugs on a regular basis. The geo/feel of of the pugsley is dialed. I loved that bike and regret selling it.

If you want a fatbike for fun, don't hesitate.

Seems like the Ice Cream Truck is another great option too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just finished building my new Pugs. I picked it over other fat options for a few reasons:

Steel
    Braze-ons galore (Touring, bikepacking, & commuting options and more options.)
    Steel
    Looks (Yes, I love the looks.)
    Steel
    Old tech (I'm a retrogrouch at heart. (My Pug will end up with cotton bar tape and shellac.) I was away from cycling for 25+ years, so a Pugsley and everything about it still seems radically new to me. It bugs me that a ten or so year old design would be obsolete.)
    Steel
    Durability (See the delightful cockroach analogy above.)
    Steel
    Beausage (See the comment above on how carbon and aluminum age, versus how steel ages.)
    Steel
    All rigid (I have no desire to ride a bike with squish, for various reasons that matter to me.)
    Steel
    Weight (Huh? Does anyone worry about weight?)
    Steel
    Handling (I can pop wheelies on it! What fun!)
    Steel

In the end, get what you like. You're the one who will be riding what you get, not the rest of us. If you enjoy new tech for it's own sake, or new tech brings abilities that you value, then get something more "modern" than a Pugsley.

Don't worry about what a bike is worth to other people. ($1,000 or $1,700?) Ask what it's worth to you.

My $0.02.

Happy trails.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

Just A Mountain Biker.

Pugsley still a safe bet?

Well, the wife gave me the green light and expanded the budget a bit, so I am going to shop around a little more and make sure I am getting all the bang for my buck I can. I do consider the pugs as the front runner, I love the utility of it as spinymouse said, as well as the steel aspect. No matter how sexy I think the Fat Boy Expert is, I'm not sure it's worth it (to me) to go up that much in price. I want to keep this sub 2k, but get something I really like and won't want to sell in 2 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You should be able to get a complete Pugs for around $1600, or you could venture into building one frame-up, which gets you exactly what you want. You can pick and chose what is important to you (I wanted offset fork, CC 40 headset and Hope hubs, everything else is less important to me) and still be pretty close to the MSRP.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You can probably get a much better frame with 170 or 190 spacing these days but buying a complete bike from one of the various large mfrs now making fat bikes and benefiting from economy of scale.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I love my pugsley. I ride it year round and have for the nearly 3 years I have had it. It is old tech, but it is standard bike stuff, that any bike shop should have, in case you need it. On the other hand, since I got my krampus I have hardly touched my pugs, which makes me sad. The krampus suffers in the snow, it is not quite fat enough, but the krampus is like a Ferrari on anything but snow, when compared to the pugsley.
    I don't do drugs. I am drugs.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Pugsley still a safe bet?

Pugsley is the go-to for those that value practicality, versatility, longevity, character, and fun over all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast