Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    +1 to this post... Steep head angle and flexes like a wet noodle... Then the frame cracked :/ Went the 9:zero:7 route and haven't looked back.
    and don't get me started on the fork that bent or those stupid, straight single speed dropouts, either.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I happen to really like the the horizontal dropouts,one of the main reasons for me buying a pug, and 1x1, and a 1x1 for the wife. Quit coming around here with your big goofy 6'8" 270 pound ass and stinkin' up the place
    Gigantic asshat
    Oh yeah, to the OP, great choice! I wish many happy miles

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Oh boy, name calling! Aren't you special!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I happen to really like the the horizontal dropouts,one of the main reasons for me buying a pug, and 1x1, and a 1x1 for the wife.

I'm a fan of the horizontal dropouts as well. Currently we have IGHs in our two Pugs. When my GF builds up some 29+ wheels she may go with a 1X derailleur. I like the versatility.

I'm 180lbs out of the shower and have loaded my Pugs with more gear than I will ever tour with again to ride the CDN GDR. I had no issues with frame flex. It handled everything like a champ including high speed riding on rough sections.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Thanks everyone, I loved my shakedown ride last night, learned a lot but have a lot of questions (mostly related to tire pressure on hard pack) but I will search the forums and maybe start a new thread about it instead of hiding it in here.

Totally happy with my purchase. Even if others don't like it :-)
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Thanks everyone, I loved my shakedown ride last night, learned a lot but have a lot of questions (mostly related to tire pressure on hard pack) but I will search the forums and maybe start a new thread about it instead of hiding it in here.
    Coles Notes:

- tires bouncing take air out
    - steering getting weird or pinch flatting add air in
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Congrats on the purchase! My Surly has added new elements of riding and has allowed me to get back some of the initial exploratory and fun elements of riding back (lost on the pursuit of hot nasty speed), not that the Surly won't get it's speed on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I'm a fan of the horizontal dropouts as well. Currently we have IGHs in our two Pugs. When my GF builds up some 29+ wheels she may go with a 1X derailleur. I like the versatility.

I'm 180lbs out of the shower and have loaded my Pugs with more gear than I will ever tour with again to ride the CDN GDR. I had no issues with frame flex. It handled everything like a champ including high speed riding on rough sections.
    I just picked up a pugs special ops. What racks do you have front and rear? Are the disk brake racks?

I am trying to make a commuter/winter bike. I am going to build some alfine 11 rabbit hole wheel set with Big Apples. I already have the tires for my stump jumper and I love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thessjeff View Post
    I just picked up a pugs special ops. What racks do you have front and rear? Are the disk brake racks?
    Surly Pugsley Rack Options | The Lazy Rando Blog...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have already seen that blog. I was more interested in what brand he is using. Thanks though.

mtbr member
    I happen to really like the the horizontal dropouts,one of the main reasons for me buying a pug, and 1x1, and a 1x1 for the wife. Quit coming around here with your big goofy 6'8" 270 pound ass and stinkin' up the place
    Gigantic asshat
    Hey, I resemble that remark - 6'1" formerly 280 lbs asshat.

Been riding my Pugs daily for a year and a half. Yes, I can get the rear triangle to flex, but so what? I love that danged bike. Most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time. Pretty fun to ride naked on it, too. Bomb single track, ride pavement, dirt touring, gravel grinding, beach riding... I love it in all the places I get to ride it. Ergo, my assessment is that, yes, the Pugs is a safe bet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gigantic asshat
    Thanks for saying what we all wanted to say, but didn't.

One of my favorite things about the Pugsley is the compliant ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    . Yes, I can get the rear triangle to flex, but so what?
    Well, for one, it can allow/force the rear axle to shift in those horizontal drops.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Pugsley still a safe bet?

Track ends have been around forever on all kinds of bikes. You just have to use your big boy muscles and tighten up the rear wheel proper.

mtbr member
    More than happy to Ultra!
    I almost felt under attack personally as I hold my Surly's close to the heart

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I put my rohloff on the wife's bike, she loves it
    Pugsley still a safe bet?-image.jpg

That looks like some gorgeous country you have there Vik!

mtbr member
    I don't get all the hate, you'll love your Pug, I've thrashed the hell out of mine for eight years. Is the HT angle steep? - bike feels super-relaxed to me. I descend faster than most of my friends on cross-country hard-tails and keep-up on the rolling stuff no problem. Climbing is tougher with the extra weight but I don't get dropped or anything, even on a single-speed.
    Those 100mm rims / 5 inch tyre steeds look awesome and I'm sure they're the go on snow but that's overkill for trail-riding and beaches. I ride a ton of sand on four inch tyres and 65mm rims with few traction problems, only big dunes get the better of me and you can still ride DOWN them. Enjoy your blue pug, looks awesome.

Back Alley

Peace and tranquility in the suburbs has its price.

Spot Antoine #1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    While the head angle on the Pugs is relatively compared to some other bikes, I find the wide tires act almost like a steering damper and take away the "twitchy-ness" associated with steep head angles and skinny ~2" wide tires.

Going back to the original question, I love my Pugsley and believe it is still relevant. I would like to see Surly upgrade it to a 44mm headtube like they did with the Karate Monkey. You can always run a 1.125" fork in a 44mm headtube if you want but you can't run a tapered fork in a Surly 1.125" headtube. But I hope they don't go to the MDS dropouts as they add to the chainstay length (if you're running the bike geared).

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    You guys do realize that you're not your bikes, right? my critique of the Pugsley came from actually owning one and riding the piss out of it for 9 months and 1200 miles. I liked it enough that my 29er collected dust, but at least for the 22" frame, the geometry had noticeable shortcomings, not to mention build quality and reliability issues- most noteworthy, cracked welds and a bent fork, all fixed under warranty, but nonetheless, disappointing. I found the bike to be lacking, I'm not saying anything against you personally, unless you don't like beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    head angle doesn't matter if you know how to ride a bike.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You guys do realize that you're not your bikes, right? my critique of the Pugsley came from actually owning one and riding the piss out of it for 9 months and 1200 miles. I liked it enough that my 29er collected dust, but at least for the 22" frame, the geometry had noticeable shortcomings, not to mention build quality and reliability issues- most noteworthy, cracked welds and a bent fork, all fixed under warranty, but nonetheless, disappointing. I found the bike to be lacking, I'm not saying anything against you personally, unless you don't like beer.
    The problem people have with your Surly bashing isn't objective criticism, it's that your "negatives" are actually positives to most people. I continue to ride my Pugsley by choice because of the geometry and versatility (dropouts). Know that only a very small percentage of the population has your body type. I ride an XL. The top tube is plenty long enough for me and 99% of other posters. If my pugs had the top tube you wanted, then I wouldn't like it. The head tube angle is not steep at all for a rigid bike. I find the frame flex takes a lot of the edge off of riding a rigid bike. Surly put out some defective frames and forks a couple years back, but have since fixed the problem and warrantied the defective items.

I ride mine plenty hard, and she never complains.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jesusburger View Post
    I don't get all the hate, you'll love your Pug, I've thrashed the hell out of mine for eight years. Is the HT angle steep? - bike feels super-relaxed to me. I descend faster than most of my friends on cross-country hard-tails and keep-up on the rolling stuff no problem. Climbing is tougher with the extra weight but I don't get dropped or anything, even on a single-speed.
    Those 100mm rims / 5 inch tyre steeds look awesome and I'm sure they're the go on snow but that's overkill for trail-riding and beaches. I ride a ton of sand on four inch tyres and 65mm rims with few traction problems, only big dunes get the better of me and you can still ride DOWN them. Enjoy your blue pug, looks awesome.

Back Alley
    Love that OG purple Pugsley!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I tried an 18 inch and it felt small...and I'm 6 foot 33 inch inseam. I don't understand how you 6 foot guys are riding an 18 inch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Love that OG purple Pugsley!
    +1 - yes very nice
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusburger View Post

Back Alley

Peace and tranquility in the suburbs has its price.

Spot Antoine #1
    Ya that last pic was absolutely epic man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast