Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridefat1981 View Post
    I love my pugsley. I ride it year round and have for the nearly 3 years I have had it. It is old tech, but it is standard bike stuff, that any bike shop should have, in case you need it. On the other hand, since I got my krampus I have hardly touched my pugs, which makes me sad. The krampus suffers in the snow, it is not quite fat enough, but the krampus is like a Ferrari on anything but snow, when compared to the pugsley.
    This is why a Pugsley with an extra set of 29+ wheels (KramPug) is such a great option. The Pugs was designed out of necessity, but the unplanned versatility is what makes it great.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You can probably get a much better frame with 170 or 190 spacing these days but buying a complete bike from one of the various large mfrs now making fat bikes and benefiting from economy of scale.
    What kind of frames are out there with the new spacing? I just saw a Pugsley at LBS. I was impressed. It just looked like it would fun. Do you really need hi tech to have fun?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Definitely take a Pugs for a test ride. In short, I have a nice 907 and have had a blast the past couple of years on it but I have ridden a few pugs and every time I realize I should have bought a Pugs instead. Aluminum does ride different than steel and a rider can feel it even on a fat bike. Also, the use of 135mm hubs and other standard parts is a somewhat ignored feature of the Pugs (and Krampus for that matter). I do suspect that the original poster would be better off with the Pugs since it would take their riding in new directions as more of an explorer bike based on their desert location.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My single-speed Pugs will be my pit bike for CX this Fall. F-you, UCI

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Pugsley still a safe bet?

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Do you really need hi tech to have fun?
    Yes. Whenever I ride any one of my 4 steel bikes, I can't even enjoy myself over the sound of my bikes being old tech.

That goes doubly for my Danish SCO Long John cargo bike. That design is over 100 years old, so as you can imagine, whenever I ride it I have a perpetual frown on my face from it being so low tech:

My 1987 SCO Long John

Big wheels keep on rollin
    I'm in your same boat...nice 29er and wanting to try fat for desert rides and beach. I live at the beach in So Cal.
    I was thinking of 29+ but now I'm thinking of getting a 650B 35mm wheelset and the new WTB 2.8" 650B tire. It is designed to fit on any 29er that fits a 2.3" tire and give you 90% of the 29+ ride.
    So then, I'll probably get the fat bike, probably a Pugsley, as I like the steel/simplicity vibe and I have no need/want for snow riding.

mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Yes. Whenever I ride any one of my 4 steel bikes, I can't even enjoy myself over the sound of my bikes being old tech.

That goes doubly for my Danish SCO Long John cargo bike. That design is over 100 years old, so as you can imagine, whenever I ride it I have a perpetual frown on my face from it being so low tech:

My 1987 SCO Long John
    That cargo bike is awesome!

To the OP: Aside from the mystical properties of the frame material, I'm a big fan of the Pugs geometry. I sold my Pugs, but my Ti fatbike has almost the exact same geometry because it just feels right. I ride way more dirt than snow, if that matters.

Nuts
    I say get a Pugs! I am about the only one who doesn't care for the geo on the Pugs so that makes it like 10,000 to 1 in favor of
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I love my pugs - I built mine for 1100 - with a good mix of parts.
    I have a set of p35s on my Vassago - which will be a 29er+ when I afford the knards!!
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Depends on the sort of riding that you do. The Pugsley's a great bike, but there are other bikes out there that handle differently. I've just got a Puffin and, for me and the riding that I do I much prefer the way it handles.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I say get a Pugs! I am about the only one who doesn't care for the geo on the Pugs so that makes it like 10,000 to 1 in favor of
    You're not the only one. I couldn't stand the steep hta, the weight or the way the frame flexed. I think I'm the only one who doesn't think steel is a virtue in a frame. I'm much happier with my 9:Zero:7 and don't miss my Pugsley. At. All.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Nuts
    Yup H/A is to steep for me as well. I still use one to haul the Burley around but can't stand it.
    And I love beer!!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Pugsley still a safe bet?-photo.jpg
    I spent some time on some more fats yesterday, really liking the Pugs the more I ride and read about it. I thought the offset thing would bother me (not sure why just thought it would look funny and create a mental block) but it's pretty cool. I was worried about a 100mm stem (looks funny after looking at a 70mm for so long on other bikes but on the picture I don't look too stretched out. Its just something to get used to.

I've spent time over the past few days comparing specs, models, prices and this particular bike, with the closeout deal is hard to beat. I'm not patient enough to penny pinch a build from the ground up, and if I just went through and used Universal cycles for the discount and free shipping I come out relatively close to what a complete would cost me, but then I would have to build it. Waiting to hear back from a member here that has one for sale, supposedly barely ridden and like new, and that's a good option as well.

I will make a decision and pull that trigger by tomorrow ~ any last minute advice or things I may have missed fire away!

I really appreciate all the guidance I have received so far. Thanks guys!
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post

I will make a decision and pull that trigger by tomorrow ~ any last minute advice or things I may have missed fire away!
    You don't pull the trigger......
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	904836
    I spent some time on some more fats yesterday, really liking the Pugs the more I ride and read about it. I thought the offset thing would bother me (not sure why just thought it would look funny and create a mental block) but it's pretty cool. I was worried about a 100mm stem (looks funny after looking at a 70mm for so long on other bikes but on the picture I don't look too stretched out. Its just something to get used to.

I've spent time over the past few days comparing specs, models, prices and this particular bike, with the closeout deal is hard to beat. I'm not patient enough to penny pinch a build from the ground up, and if I just went through and used Universal cycles for the discount and free shipping I come out relatively close to what a complete would cost me, but then I would have to build it. Waiting to hear back from a member here that has one for sale, supposedly barely ridden and like new, and that's a good option as well.

I really appreciate all the guidance I have received so far. Thanks guys!
    Make sure you get the right size. You can always swap out the stem and get a layback seatpost to to fine tune the fit, but only to a point.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Pugsley still a safe bet?

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Make sure you get the right size. You can always swap out the stem and get a layback seatpost to to fine tune the fit, but only to a point.
    Just curious, you think that doesn't fit by looking at the picture? I've always ridden a medium sized bike, or close to a 23.5 ETT and that bike has it. I'm only 5'8" and have no abnormal traits like long arms, long torso, etc. It seems to fit me fine, or feels like it does

Nuts
    Just curious, you think that doesn't fit by looking at the picture? I've always ridden a medium sized bike, or close to a 23.5 ETT and that bike has it. I'm only 5'8" and have no abnormal traits like long arms, long torso, etc. It seems to fit me fine, or feels like it does
    You should be good, both me and my wife are 5'8" and a medium Pugs fit both of us great.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    medium fer sure. better to buy complete, imo. keep it simple/easy. like that ^^^^^^blue pugs yer on.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was gonna say it looks small, but I'm 5'8" and I rode a Small Pugs. I'm always on the border of Small/Medium. I went with the Small to gain some extra nard clearance.
    You should stick with a Medium, especially if you favor a shortish stem.

Just A Mountain Biker.

It's all mine!!

Pugsley still a safe bet?-pugsley-mine-.jpg

New bike day rules. So stoked to get this out on the trails tonight.

Thanks everyone for the input, thoroughly happy with my purchase decision

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pugsley is mine!!.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	905046

New bike day rules. So stoked to get this out on the trails tonight.

Thanks everyone for the input, thoroughly happy with my purchase decision
    Nice. Enjoy!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post

My 1987 SCO Long John
    I take as meaning you have as much fun on old school bikes as I do.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Congrats on your new bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You won't regret it! I've been beating the hell out of mine for 18 months now and still love it. I ride it more than my Covert 29er. Congrats ! The honeymoon will last as long as you want it to...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    +1 to this post... Steep head angle and flexes like a wet noodle... Then the frame cracked :/ Went the 9:zero:7 route and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    You're not the only one. I couldn't stand the steep hta, the weight or the way the frame flexed. I think I'm the only one who doesn't think steel is a virtue in a frame. I'm much happier with my 9:Zero:7 and don't miss my Pugsley. At. All.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast