MaverickMotoMedia.com

Pugsley Seat Tube Brace Cracks

I've just noticed a series of cracks in the powder coat/paint about 1.5 mm in front of the weld on the seat tube brace on the top tube of my 2013 22" yellow pugsley. The bike was purchased in mid-jan and has about 100 miles logged on it according to strava and maybe another 50 miles total. I just noticed it today. Is this something to be concerned about? It seems like an odd place for cracking to occur- I can't tell if the cracks are in the finish and in front of the weld, or in the weld itself.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 03-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member

You should post some good close up pics if you can

MaverickMotoMedia.com

mtbr member

mtbr member

Not sure if those are cracks, seems like a odd place , the previous models had issues at the seat stays, which see a lot more flex that that location, and I do believe surly addressed that issue with the 2012-13 models .

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    You could also ask of the Frame Building sub forum.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I've just noticed a series of cracks in the powder coat/paint about 1.5 mm in front of the weld on the seat tube brace on the top tube of my 2013 22" yellow pugsley. The bike was purchased in mid-jan and has about 100 miles logged on it according to strava and maybe another 50 miles total. I just noticed it today. Is this something to be concerned about? It seems like an odd place for cracking to occur- I can't tell if the cracks are in the finish and in front of the weld, or in the weld itself.
    I would just give your LBS a head's up. It might be nothing, but they are the ones that will help you out with any warranty issues so it's worth mentioning your concerns.

I wouldn't stop riding the bike if it was mine based on the photo in this thread.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'd make sure the seatpost is inserted deep enough for its head to reach below the top tube.

Other than that, no worries. Probably a good idea to document it and talk to your LBS, as Vikb mentioned.

mtbr member
    Very hard to tell from the picture. Could be scratches with dirt. I would be more than happy to perform a fluorescent penetrant inspection on it for you but I see you are on the right coast and I am on the left coast.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    it's not a scratch. I should add that the last time I rode it, the seat post got bent about 1-3/4" above the extension limit marks. (the post was well inserted into the seat tube)
    Last edited by Gigantic; 03-25-2013 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Uh, yeah... That's not exactly a minor detail to leave out. I suppose that you were just ridin' along when it happened too?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    Uh, yeah... That's not exactly a minor detail to leave out. I suppose that you were just ridin' along when it happened too?
    i did a medium-sized log-over. I didn't come down particularly hard on the seat, either, but I am a kinda big feller at 6'8" & 250#s. I typically train with a 35# backpack, too...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I got a reply from Surly

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Bikes
    The best way to know if that is a crack or not will be to remove a little bit of the paint at the spot. My guess is that this will turn out to just be a crack in the powdercoat due to some flex in the frame. Take some sandpaper and remove that paint and you’ll know for sure, but my guess is that the frame under the paint will be fine. If you remove paint, just make sure you cover it with some nail polish to prevent rust. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    I'm gonna assume that it's frame flex and move on. If it appears to get worse, I may follow Surly's advice.

mtbr member
    i'm sorry but if it were me i'm not removing paint / powdercoat via whatever tools necessary just to see IF it's an actual crack in the weld or HEZ then be left with a damaged finish. If i crash and damage the frame that removes some finish thats one thing but to remove it purposely i believe not.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You have a go pro cam? I wonder if you clamp it on your top tube, aim it at that area and set the go pro to capture in slow-mo (high fps), and ride the crap out of the bike. Can you then, see any movement in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I'm gonna assume that it's frame flex and move on. If it appears to get worse, I may follow Surly's advice.
    Your advice is probably the best. Steel flexes... stupid that the powder-coat split a little, but it happens if it gets a hard flex... as it sounds like you put it through

The goofy thing is I've always heard Surly is so good at just replacing and covering... seems like this would maybe be covered, I guess if you were being honest with them though and mentioned the seatpost bending, it might not be considered a Surly error.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    The goofy thing is I've always heard Surly is so good at just replacing and covering... seems like this would maybe be covered
    In fairness to Surly these are MTBs. I wouldn't expect a new frame because there is a mark in the finish on a frame that's being ridden hard.

They have been replacing Pugs frames that have cracked.

Surly Warranty:

"FRAMESET WARRANTY

Surly frames and forks are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects for three years from the original date of purchase. If we screwed up something in the manufacturing process that resulted in the premature failure of the product, we’ll fix or replace it at our discretion. This warranty is for the original buyer of the product and is not transferable. It should go without saying that we won’t even consider your warranty problem without a dated proof-of-purchase.

This warranty doesn’t cover damage resulting from any sort of riding other than “normal” riding, and the inevitable wear and tear resulting from “normal” use. Surly products are built to be used vigorously, and we wouldn’t expect you to treat them gently. However, we can’t be responsible for the inherent danger to body and property you face each time you throw your leg over the top tube. We’re hip to the “just riding along” phenom- enon - and frankly, we’re just not having it.

Sorry, the paintjob isn’t covered, nor is any damage that happens to you or your other components as a result of any failure of one of our products. Lastly, if you modify or neglect our products, we can’t be responsible for them or what might happen to you while you’re using them. We hate to spell it out, but hey, it’s the 21st Century. We’re known to back up our products, but we’ve seen too many peoples’ parts come back to us that were not defective and did not meet our warranty guidelines. Save yourself some time and shipping money by reading this and making a decision for yourself. If you and your shop think your Surly product is worthy of a warranty inspection, please return theproduct to the original place of purchase, accompanied by a sales receipt. In the unlikely event that this is not possible, call or email us and we’ll do our best to get you riding again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com