mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Pugsley: Which Rim for Fixed/Single Speed

I am planning on building a fixed gear Pugsley for winter commuting. I will be using Surly's Fixed Disc hub, which has a 53.5mm chainline. Since the Pugsley has 17.5mm offset dropouts, is it right to assume the effective chainline will be 71mm (53.5+17.5)?

If this is correct, does this mean there will be no tire to chain rub as long as the width of the tire is less than 142mm(minus a few millimetres )?

Does anyone know the tire width of a Nate/Marge combo vs a Nate/Rolling Darryl?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chhai

mtbr member
    You should be fine with any width tire and rim combo you can fit in the pug.

I want a fixed rear wheel for my pug. That would be a blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    You should be fine with any width tire and rim combo you can fit in the pug.

I want a fixed rear wheel for my pug. That would be a blast.
    I agree, I used to run my pug fixed. I threaded a track cog onto the front hub that was set up for freewheel but used a little locktight and a bottom bracket lockring to secure it. it held with no problems. I had all the room in the world for whatever tire rim combo. I bet the chainline will be pretty similar on your fixed/disk hub.
    Post a pic of your commuter pug when finished!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the replies.

So I can use any rim/tire combo I want. Now I need to decide whether or not I need the larger rim. Would the extra 17mm width of the Darryl be worth the weight and price penalty over the Marge Lite? The bike will be used mainly for commuting to campus on a fairly hilly route.

mtbr member
    Would not be worth it but also would not be un-worth it. Though, I've only ridden darryls so I dont know any different. My guess is that I'd be just as happy with marge

mtbr member
    Go Big!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "