Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pugsley Rack Options With No Need For Modifications

34K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  GreenPugsley 
#1 ·
I am looking for a front and rear rack for my Pugsley that doesn't require any modifications to mount, aside from the Surely Nice Racks? I've tried searching and it appears that most require some kind of modified brackets of some sort. I was hoping for something not so bulky looking as the Surely Nice Rack.

Thanks

#15 ·
Gary Fisher rack

Just mounted up an old GF rack that I had lying around. I used the inside of the drive-side eyelet and the outside of the non-drive-side eyelet. I used a small spacer (an M6 nut on an M5 bolt) on the left side as well. I also needed spacers on the seat stay eyelets because they were much farther apart than the rack braces - however the rack was centered between those eyelets which is a good sign! All of the bolts (except the drive side) are 25mm long, so they go through *all* of the threads in those wide eyelets. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

#18 ·
Either the Old Man Mountain Cold Springs or Sherpa rear racks will mount front or back on any Pugsley frame (including small) without modification if you get them with Pugsley mounting kit available at no extra charge from OMM or bikebagshop.com. They are light, strong and infinitely adjustable.
That said, with minimal mount fabrication (front) or modification (back) I think the Cold Springs front rack mounts more cleanly and looks nicer. See http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/omm-front-rack-pugsley-fork-718316.html for a description of a simple front mount I (with 2 left hands) fabricated with a hacksaw, drill, and file. For the rear all you need is a hacksaw to shorten the provided Pugs mount to lower the front Cold Springs rack to a good position.
If anyone wants dimensions for the front mount I fabricated let me know.

#19 ·
Has anyone tried the Tubus LOCC? I have seen them installed on a Pugsley but cannot tell what clearance there is. I also read that an extension part is required to clear the calipers. I am interested in the LOCC for my Fatback so if anyone has any input on them I would be happy to hear it.

#25 ·
how big of a rack do you need/want?

I put a Gamoh on my pugs with room to spare. you need to work with it to fit it right but the supports are super wide and easy to make right.

it's big and can carry a ton of weight, like if you need to take a case of beer and some other things to a party or whatever. or groceries. or a wheelbarrow.

Attachments

#31 ·
Hi. I was wondering whether the Topeak Explorer 29er Tubular Rack w/disc mounts would fit to a Pugsley (without too much modifications). I have also their trunk bag so a quicktrack compatible rack would be nice.

I have an old Topeak rack that attaches to seat post but its carrying capacity is rather limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.