Thread: Pugsley Offset?

mtbr member

Pugsley Offset?

I've been reading some about the pugsley with great interest. One thing I'm confused on is the offset. Does this mean I can't slip in a standard 0 dished 29er wheel from another bike, or do i have to dish it to a particular offset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Correct- a standard 29er wheel will be 17.5 mm off-center in the Pugsley frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You can put a non offset wheel in and it will be rideable, but it will be 17 mm to the right of the center of the frame. By the time you dished a standard rim enough to center it, the spoke tension will be wildly different from left to right.

mtbr member
    is there a fatbike frame without such an offset that I could interchange wheels from my 29ers into it?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Coldbike, true. I've got a customer that ran a non offset wheel in his Pug for a year, no issues, but it bugged me cause it looked weird. Finally got around to redishing, got it within a mm or so, and the tension is fine. 36hole Flow, Hope Pro II, big fella, no issues. Ideal set up? No. Is it wonky to the point of failure and malfunction? Not at all. He understands the situation, and is fine with the results, and it was his call to do it this way, not mine.

Just getting proper real life info out there, not trying to be a jerk.

thekrow4jc, yes, any 170mm rear spaced frame is symmetrical, but you'll need a 170mm rear hub to build that 29er wheel with, or, run the adapters that Salsa has for the Muk.

Salsa Mukluk:* It’s All About The Details | Salsa Cycles
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc View Post
    is there a fatbike frame without such an offset that I could interchange wheels from my 29ers into it?
    No. If you have a 135mm wide 29er wheel built symmetrically you can't simply drop it into any fatbike frame. 135mm offset frames [like the Pugs] will put the wheel 17.5mm to the right [rideable, but not ideal] and 170mm symmetrical frames need a 170mm hub. If you use the Salsa adapters to put a 135mm symmetrical 29er wheel in their frame it will be offset 17.5mm to the right just like a Pugsley.

So if you have a standard 29er MTB you want to share wheels with it isn't possible. If you want to buy a fatbike and use fat wheels and 29er wheels in the frame just get a 170mm symmetrical fatbike frame and build up a custom 170mm wide 29er MTB wheel and you are in business.

The front end may pose similar problems depending which fatbike you get. The Pugsley wants a 135mm rear hub front wheel built offset 17.5mm to the right [front and rear wheels are the same on a Pug] so a normal 29er MTB wheel won't work there either. You can get an aftermarket fork, but that adds $$ to the equation.

Personally I leave my Pugsley with fat tires 24/7 it's far more versatile than you might think like that and a ton of fun to ride on dirt trails in the summer. I never wish I had a 29er wheelset for it. I own a 26er FS MTB and I'm building a 29er HT - none of the wheels are swappable and I just ride 'em like they are.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Before I had a fat bike I pondered this. Now that I have one I have no desire to change the wheel set. Just put different air pressure in for the type of ride you plan to do. All year round I keep reaching for my Pug's instead of my other bikes.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    i appreciate the answers! It helps a lot, and gives me some more understanding. The idea behind my question is to try and build a fat bike in stages. I have a 29er ht that has a failure in the frame. I'm pondering new bike ideas, and considering a fat bike, but to switch over parts from my current 29er ht (wheels included) would make the build process cheaper. Then down the road build fat wheels.