Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pugsley Front End Weight

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  69tr6r 
#1 ·
I recently rode a friend's Pugsley, and a few day later built a Neck Romancer for a customer. I couldn't believe how good my friends Pugs felt. I almost looped out the first time I aired a little bump because I didn't expect the front end to be so light.

That said, I was extremely surprised when the Necro's front end felt completely different. I could barely pull the front end off the ground. My friend's is built up with a thompson stem, monkeylite carbon bar, and an old stock large marge wheelset. The Necro was a 2012 stock.

The Necro wheelset should be lighter. Do the weights of the handlebars and stem really make that much of a difference? Is it the Moonlander fork? I am 5'10" 150lbs, both pugs were 18"

I am trying to decide whether I should build a pug up or just buy a stock. I can do them both for about the same price.

With the stock i'll get a much lighter marge light wheelset but a mediocre cockpit with a 110mm stem. Building myself would mean Weinmann DHL65's redrilled with an offset, or the offset large marges on sale right now. Either way a heavier wheelset, but a lighter custom fit cockpit.

See less See more
#6 ·
Check the stem length and saddle position. They have a huge impact on how easily you can lift the front end.
These make the biggest difference in handling/throwability characteristics on any bike.

Stem and handlebar weight is neglible compared to the amount of difference in balance depending on how the bike is set up.
Only matters on race day, from my experience. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Forgot to mention: do not go for the heavier wheelset option for the sake of a "custom light cockpit".

Stems aren't that costly and you can sell the old one to make the change even cheaper. All you need to make the front pop up easily is a stem that moves the handlebars up and/or back. I have a 35° 70 mm stem on my 20" Moonlander and I'm 189 cm tall (6'4"). Short back and long legs though.

#8 ·
Are you sure you almost looped out because of the light weight? I know when I switch from my FS bike to the pugs I have to be careful in hitting jumps because with the FS bike you tend to push down into the jump in order to preload the fork and get some pop out of it. With the pugs when you do that you end up getting a lot more POP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.