mtbr member

Pugsley front derailleur cable housing stop?

I am in the process of assembling my black Pugsley and am a little stumped on the front derailleur. Neither the frame nor the derailleur have a housing stop. What have others done in this case? I could just use a hose clamp to hold the housing to the frame but I was hoping for something a little more elegant. I have an older STX e-type front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One of these? Problem Solvers

They were used a lot to put v-brakes on bikes that were designed for cantilever brakes. There are other brands, as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Problem Solvers makes a Direct Mount front derailleur adapter. Then you don't need a housing stop - its on the derailleur. These ship with the Necromancer and Moonlander. Might be tough finding one - last I checked they were out of stock.

Dinner for wolves
    I think the newer Pugs frames are going the direct mount route. I have a 2013 frame coming so I cannot confirm yet. The SRAM XO high direct FD I have has a built in cable stop. I will be using it with a PS direct mount adapter. Nice thing about this set up is that you can remove the FD without taking off the cranks and BB. So going back and forth between 1x and 2x in front should be easier. Does your frame have the little vertical arm welded onto the drive side of the BB that is meant to accept an anchor screw from your e-type derailleur? If not, then you probably have the "wrong" FD for your frame. And by "wrong" I mean you will probably have to get creative to get it to work.

Pugsley front derailleur cable housing stop?-632412d1313009967-pugsley-front-derailleur-problem-clamp-003.jpg
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As microdrive said, the new bikes are designed for a direct mount adaptor to the use a direct mount derailleur with a built in stop.

If you don't want to purchase a new derailleur you can use the clamp like JoeG suggested.

Cheers,
    Steven