Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Why should you be terrified? None of the cracks have resulted in failure. Plenty of clydes ride Pugsleys quite hard all the time without issues.

Just ride it as you please. If it's the good batch or whatever (likely) you'll have zero problems. If it cracks (unlikely) the worst outcome is that your fatbike is at the docks for some time. (You can keep riding the cracked frame until you find a suitable time slot for the replacement downtime.)
    Yep +1.

I'm not a "clyde" but I always ride it without trepidation...........zero issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley frame failure-pugs_2-2.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    Do you even have a damn clue how many bikes Surly sells in a year? My guess is no. If they can't "get a rigid steel MTB frame welded up properly" where is this failure epidemic that you are worried about?
    Seems to me like fatbikes are still too small a market, for one model from one brand, to have as many failures as are reported -- which is hardly going to be everyone who's experienced problems, this is just in the subset of Pugsley owners who post to forums. So it seems hard to just hand-wave around this by, you know, making immature personal attacks anyone who thinks it is significant; but that would explain why maybe more Pugsley owners are keeping silent about their problems?

Vs. all the other fatbike options out there now with quality weld jobs for everyone. I'm sure they've had their production issues too, but managed to keep poor-quality frames out of customers' hands with solid QA/QC protocols.

Also, "resale value" made me laugh. Do you have a copy of the latest bike NADA guide or something?
    No, just some common sense. Lots of folks like to get new bikes and sell their old ones regularly, even if I'm not one of them. For those folks, this seems like a raw deal if they want to get rid of their Pugs and move on to something else.

You remind me of a conspirator theorist. The more people that tell you have your head up your ass, the more of a "surly fanboy" each one of them becomes, even though it's just common sense staring you in the face.
    Well, when that criticism is taken out of context and re-stated to be not even in the ballpark of the point I was making about forum rep or whatever, it seems like common sense to me that those folks are seeing red just because I have the nerve to criticize a company they like. Besides, how much criticism have I gotten here that's based on sound rebuttal of the points I make, as opposed to juvenile ad-hominem attacks which are barely worth reading, let alone replying to? I've seen more intelligent comments on YouTube.

C'mon, give me a good explanation why it's perfectly acceptable for a company like QBP to manufacture forks that collapse under regular braking... we're not talking about BITD when forks failed because folks were wailing on them, which led to better forks. How did QBP manage to take such a giant leap backwards? And just how, exactly, do you excuse this?

you don't know shit about shit in the bike world
    Obviously not, if this sort of problem is acceptable to those who claim that they do!
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The Pug is probably not the best bike for the professionally offended forum expert, may I recommend the Walmart Beast. It provides many more opportunities (but I'd still buy one ).
    Heheh, OK. At least with the Beast, you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 mission cap View Post
    ...He said he's only had 1 returned with the cracks. My question is this, how many of us are riding the white pugs and "getting rad" as Surly says, without any cracking?...
    Exactly. How many of these bikes are just getting ridden in soft sand/snow, and not encountering the stresses which cause this failure to manifest itself?

mtbr member
    So there is a "That Guy" in this thread too now.

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    I'm not reading any of that. FYI.

Re: Pugsley frame failure

I'm not reading any of that. FYI.
    Yeah. He doesn't understand its been addressed already long ago and taken care of. Party is over. Time to go home.

But there is always someone who doesn't get the hint.... hint.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Members who have read this thread: 4