mtbr member

Pugsley Evolution?

I may have found a good deal on an original purple Pug that's been hardly used. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing out on anything... Has anything changed In the Pugsley since the purple model came out that I should be aware of? It's setup for single speed and has Alex DH rims... I want fat, and I want gears, so I'll probably need to pick up a new wheel set as well... Can I run RD's without any issues?
    Last edited by BoogieMang; 02-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I ride a purple pug, and love it

It has not got the dropped top tube of later models (for crown jewel clearance in snow), but i prefer that for the bigger frame bag when needed, and we only get proper snow every 40 years in the UK

You have to slide the rear caliper up to remove the rear wheel, not really a problem,
    Think to fit wider rims of RD width you may have to lose a rear cassette ring to get decent chain clearance for mud, i cannot confirm this buts others on here will.
    Have you seen a purple pug in sunlight?, has to be one of the nicest fat bike paint schemes
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    I ride a purple pug, and love it

It has not got the dropped top tube of later models (for crown jewel clearance in snow), but i prefer that for the bigger frame bag when needed, and we only get proper snow every 40 years in the UK

You have to slide the rear caliper up to remove the rear wheel, not really a problem,
    Think to fit wider rims of RD width you may have to lose a rear cassette ring to get decent chain clearance for mud, i cannot confirm this buts others on here will.
    Have you seen a purple pug in sunlight?, has to be one of the nicest fat bike paint schemes
    If it is offset 17.5 mm, which I suspect it is and it has a 100 mm bottom bracket then chain clearance should be the same as all the other Pugs and any 170 symmetric for that matter, assuming the bottom bracket shell is also located the same laterally. I think drive train issues are mostly due to bad choices on crankset/spindle setups. Not to be confused with tires rubbing on the frames themselves that I'm not as sure about but I bet an 80 would fit. There were some old threads that measured chainstay and seatstay widths. It might even be in the comparative sticky at the top of the page.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    ...It has not got the dropped top tube of later models (for crown jewel clearance in snow)...
    That can be a handy feature if you venture into real offroad and need to carry the bike.

The higher toptube will give you a better chance of shouldering the bike if you have to carry it in difficult terrain.

Just found this out the hard way
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I found a picture of a purple frame to compare to the current frame... I noticed the top tube gusset missing as CoastKid mentioned, it also looks like the older ones had the cable stops mounted on top of the higher up top tube instead of on the underside

Besides that, are there any other major differences? The bike in questions has the 135mm offset fork. Does the old frame/fork have all the same braze-ons, brake mounts, etc.?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Found it in the FAQ's minimum clearance on a purple pugs 113mm. I have a Larry on RD at about 98mm so there should be plenty of clearance.
    Latitude 61