mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Pugsley 1x9 questions

I am contemplating yet another change to my Pugs,but I have some questions.
    I want to set it up as a 1x9.

Chain guide: I like the Pauls chain keeper,which one would work better the BB mount or the seat stay mount?

Rear Der: Sram X9 but what size? Long, medium or short cage?

Casette: 11-34 Sram-PG 980

Shifter: any differences between the X0 and X9? (twist shifters)

Last, the hub, Hope pro 2 or the Chris king?

mtbr member
    I would go with the BB mount. That way you can keep your spacing correct. The front mech can be done away with, less weight, and the BB will bolt together correctly. Medium cage X9 should be great with the PG 980. The differences are not a great deal with the shifters and either hub will be great.

Good luck

mtbr member
    I'm running the Direct Paul with an X9 short cage and 11/34 and it's worked out well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sea Bass what size chainring?

mtbr member
    Mine is set up 1x9 with the following:
    Paul E-Type chainguide
    32t Salsa Chainring
    SRAM X.9 Short Cage R. Der.
    11-32t SRAM Cassette
    My X.9 Thumb Shifter freezes up sometimes so I would probably go with an X.0 Twister if I did it again
    As for the hubs I would probably go with the Hope over the King but that is personal preference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley 1x9 questions-100_1327.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have the BB mount which works with my 28 tooth ring, but the seat tube mount one does not reach the chainring on my bike.

mtbr member
    PG 990 11/34 cluster, SRAM med cage X9 and CK hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley 1x9 questions-dscn1555.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    NVPHATTY:

Wheel Weight?

mtbr member
    not a pugs but close. 1/9 set up with a 32 front and 34 out back, running a bash guard, and used the surly front shifter mount and modified it as a jump stop. Hub is Hope pro 2. going to switch over to 1/10 and 36 cassette, and a shadow plus med cage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley 1x9 questions-moony-2.jpg  

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bad cat!
    Sounds like your set on the Paul's, but FWIW I've had good luck so for with this little Bionicon deal. No drops yet, the bonus is it keeps the chain almost singlespeed quiet in bumps.

2011 X0 Medium cage 9 spd was a sale item, 12-34 Sram something, hope hub, happy so far but only 10 or so rides into this setup, not prepared to swear by anything yet. But all works well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugsley 1x9 questions-img_1238.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Sea Bass what size chainring?
    32t Blackspire Mono Veloce

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    NVPHATTY:

Wheel Weight?
    yessir, there's two 1/4oz on the front and it's still not perfect. it goes without saying the rim/tire/tube combo weighs enough IMV to balance. OCD perhaps but long downhill decents @ good speed is my concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for all the info. Now we will see what Santa leaves under the tree

Ny Phatty- I like that rear wheel/hub

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    yessir, there's two 1/4oz on the front and it's still not perfect. it goes without saying the rim/tire/tube combo weighs enough IMV to balance. OCD perhaps but long downhill decents @ good speed is my concern.
    Wow, the first I've heard of someone adding lead weights to a bicycle rim. Everyone else is trying so hard to get rid of the last 14 grams, not adding it.

what setup did you use to balance it? I guess you could just hang it by an old brake cable through the QR axle. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Wow, the first I've heard of someone adding lead weights to a bicycle rim. Everyone else is trying so hard to get rid of the last 14 grams, not adding it.

what setup did you use to balance it? I guess you could just hang it by an old brake cable through the QR axle. Am I right?
    When i gathered parts for this build my goal was a 30lb pug and as it sits sans the seat pac it's 31.5 so i manged to come close, had I purchased the DU's instead of devist8ers (1000gms diff) and used a svelte saddle i suspect 30lbs would be it, alas i'm pleased with it and the ride.

AD i have a static balancer left from my motorcycling days and it worked perfectly. It's odd i know but my conscious would not stand for it let alone a relative high speed thump thump on a decent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. Now we will see what Santa leaves under the tree

NvPhatty- I like that rear wheel/hub
    thanks. the CK hub was one of the last components mainly due to cost but it is very sweet. I've adjusted it once so far and i suspect another soon but after that it should be set.