Thread: Pugsley 1x9

mtbr member

Pugsley 1x9

Did a search and couldn't find a thread specific to this.

I am currently running stock pugs drive train minus the big ring with bash guard. I am considering pulling off the front derailer and granny sprocket. I would then swap out the rear cassette for an XT 11-34. In this config you only lose the two lowest granny gears, and a bit of weight. I find myself barely using them, even in snow. Has anyone else done this and can offer their impressions?

I've also considered getting the HG61 12-36 and swapping in my 11t. But this adds a bit of weight, and you only gain one more granny gear. Weight being a considerable goal at this point as I'm using this as my main trail MTB, and we seem to have no climbs I haven't already done with 1:1 on the middle ring.
    http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.

ouch....
    I switched to 1x9 about a year ago, it's great. If you live in a place without mountains, granny gear can be removed without too much issue. I run an Andersen machine 30t up front and an 11-34 in the back.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Wow, sounds like a no brainer to me--go 1x9 for sure. But I personally wouldn't need to think long about which rear cassette--"only one more granny" gear might just be what you need some soft snow day.

My Necro pugs was switched to 1x9 the first week I had the bike. But for the steep mountains I play in, I used the granny chainring as I didn't want to lose any low gears. For summer use, I'll probably go for a 32 or 34 up front.

mtbr member
    My Pugs is a 1 x 8 with an Alfine 8. Works great. I haven't wanted lower or higher gears. All my other MTBs are 1 x 10/11 systems. Getting rid of the front derailleur makes a lot of sense.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com