Mr. Knowitall

New question here. Pugsley and 180mm rotors - no match?

I am the owner of a Neck Romancer Pug, and I have changed brakes to something more suitable for my local trails (that actually have hills). I went for Elixir 5 (although I could just have upped the size on the BB7), and here is the thing:

The brakes won't fit the frame properly. There is some kind of odd fitment between the horizontal dropouts (dude, the bike is geared with external gears, so why horizontal?) and the IS caliper mount, making the 160mm rotors work fine, and the 180mm rotors top out and rub the caliper. I had to put a substantial amount of spacers on the front part of the caliper adaptor to make it work. But it shall not be like this! Anyone have any similar experience and some additional tips other than "go for 160mm rotors" or "keep the spacers. The first ride, I had to put some of the highly redundant mounting bolts in the dropout slot to space the rear axle backwards enough to clear the caliper. Using a tugnut is also one solution I have thought about which I am not too keen on (because then I should also go for bolt-on rear hub, which means more money in the fatbike.

Please, fellow fatbikers and - nerds: help?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    front or rear brakes? Your brakes require a 180 mm brake adaptor: https://www.google.com/search?client...w=1221&bih=755
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Mr. Knowitall
    Front brake, front brake adaptots. Rear brake rear brake adaptors. Moonlander forks. They have no problems. Rear I struggle big time!

mtbr member
    the rear requires an adaptor that moves the caliper and accepts a 180 rotor without making contact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

NMBP
    I put a 203mm rotor on the back of my Moonlander and even with the correct caliper adapter, I still had to shim the caliper 1.5mm. This is with the wheel all the way forward. I think if I pulled the wheel back 1/4" in the dropouts, the caliper wouldn't rub. However, I'd rather shim the caliper then have the rear hub "floating" in the dropouts. I had no issues with the stock BB7's.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the rear requires an adaptor that moves the caliper and accepts a 180 rotor without making contact.
    Yes, and that was what the IS+40 adaptor should do on the rear...

Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Elixirs to not use CPS, but thanks anyway. This one is exatly what I have without the CPS things.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I put a 203mm rotor on the back of my Moonlander and even with the correct caliper adapter, I still had to shim the caliper 1.5mm. This is with the wheel all the way forward. I think if I pulled the wheel back 1/4" in the dropouts, the caliper wouldn't rub. However, I'd rather shim the caliper then have the rear hub "floating" in the dropouts. I had no issues with the stock BB7's.
    Exactly! I think Surly have made a big doodoo placing the IS calipermounts, and by coincidence they apparently work with 160mm adaptors...