mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Pugs-worth upgrading for the winter?

I've got a 2010 Pugs. The only thing I've upgraded is the wheels to R.D.'s and I'm putting on some Hu Du's tomorrow. My MTB is put away for the winter now and I'm thinking about putting the Sworks carbon bar, newer XO twisties and Fomula Oro Puro brakes on the Pugs for the winter. Perhaps shed a little weight and add a little performance. I can't see any reason why not and have built up a bike before but, I'm not confident I won't run into a snag. What do you guys think, is it worth the time?

PS: just a note, for those who want to suggest upgrades, I'm not putting any money into it this winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I robbed my xo derailer, brakes, 10sp cassette and shifters off of a mountain bike and put them on my necromancer. No regrets, also added a set of wide carbon bars, drilled my Daryl's, and set them up tubeless.
    To me it is almost ideal, rolls out fast and is much better than the thumbie shifters and mechanical braks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Get some 2.4-2.8" lightweight tubes.

Sounds like you have a nice setup, ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I swapped over some parts today. Well worth the 2.5 hours. Carbon bar, Shifters, Brakes, derailer, and post. Add a set of Husker Du's and it added up to about 2lbs (already replaced the tubes). Most noticable was the traction while climbing. I think they don't slide around as much in the ruts either but it isn't as noticable. All in all the bike feels slightly more nimble. I am thinking the bar I put on might be a little narrow at 25.5" though. Might try a different stem. Had apretty good ride in our first snow of the season and will try and get out again tomorrow if I get enough stuff done around the house

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker View Post
    I am thinking the bar I put on might be a little narrow at 25.5" though.
    I thought 25.5" or 648mm was way too narrow myself.

720mm or wider is really a huge help in handling.

Of course the Pugs is worth it!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Idea advice

You got me thinking...I am close to buying a complete pugsley, but I have a 2008 Gary fisher piranha that I really don't like and don't use. Hydraulic brakes shimano, SRAM x5 lever shifters. Is it worth canabolizing it. Maybe get a seat, post, derailer, cassette out of it. What do think. It's just sitting there. Is this doable? Or a waste?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I run hyrda disc's on mine, you want to use the ones that use actual DOT brake fluid in the cold weather. The shimano ones run mineral oil that does some funky stuff when cold.

The X5 shifters work like clockwork on my bicycle in all weather conditions also (90F+ to 0F). Running an x5 in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmlem1 View Post
    You got me thinking...I am close to buying a complete pugsley, but I have a 2008 Gary fisher piranha that I really don't like and don't use. Hydraulic brakes shimano, SRAM x5 lever shifters. Is it worth canabolizing it. Maybe get a seat, post, derailer, cassette out of it. What do think. It's just sitting there. Is this doable? Or a waste?