Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Pugs Refresh

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527

    Pugs Refresh

    My old grey Pugs was looking rusty and neglected, and I had some time on my hands, so...

    Tore it down, ground off the useless canti mounts and delivered it to the local powdercoater. Quoted me $120 to blast and powdercoat it. Picked a color on the spot and left it with him to do his magic.

    After a few days, I get a call from the guy. He says that after sandblasting it, the frame doesn't look right. "It's bent", he says. I'm thinking WTF, how hard did they blast it? He continues to explain that one side of the frame is out of whack by at least half an inch. I explained that it's an asymmetrical frame, for fat tires, etc., and that it's fine.

    He calls me again the next day to tell me again that both the frame and fork are bent. He just couldn't get his mind around the whole asymmetry thing (sound familiar?).

    Here are some before and after pics. No big changes. New stem from parts bin, BB bearings & headset. Came out nice, I think, and the price was right. Color is "Metallic Granny Smith Apple".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugs Refresh-pugs_new_1.jpg  

    Pugs Refresh-pugs_new_2.jpg  

    Pugs Refresh-pugs_new_3.jpg  

    Pugs Refresh-pugs_old_1.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,026
    Very nice. Green Pugs are the best...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    723
    From cold cobbler to a hot apple pie!
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Very nice. Green Pugs are the best...
    Same color as yours?
    (Hope not. That would be like 2 women showing up at a party wearing the same dress.)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sickmtbnutcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    135
    That looks great! Love that color.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fat_tires_are_fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    251
    Cool color, and great color name
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,026
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Same color as yours?


    No worries. Your green is much much nicer.

    Mine is a Soviet quality kawasaki green. I don't have much choice for powder coating on the island I live on.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,838
    That's a hot color. Fan of green here...I've got a Snowblind Pugs with lots of green accents.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,119
    that frame is bent to sh*t mang get it straightened ASAP.. do like granny green though.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    that frame is bent to sh*t mang get it straightened ASAP.. do like granny green though.
    He offered to fix it for me. Good thing he asked first.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post


    No worries. Your green is much much nicer.

    Mine is a Soviet quality kawasaki green. I don't have much choice for powder coating on the island I live on.
    Don't think I saw it with the red rims. I like it!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,026
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Don't think I saw it with the red rims. I like it!
    Thanks. I figure I better give the SAR guys all the help they can get when they are coming to find me on some remote beach in Mexico.

    I wish I had access to a nice PC finish like you got. OTOH when my freshly PC'd bikes get a scratch it doesn't bother me as much with Soviet quality powder.

    Great to see another old gray Pugs rolling along in the wild. I'm glad I have a few Surly frames without the goofy mini-triangle on the seat tube and dropped TT.

    In years of decades of MTBing with higher TT frames and 5yrs of fatbiking I've never hurt "the boyz" despite lots of falling off and soft conditions riding. Hopefully the fashion will come back around to higher TTs once they figure out how to make a MTB with a TT down near your shin and they have no where lower to go.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    So, I really hadn't been riding the Pugs at all in the last year, except around town, opting for the Ti Twenty2 fatbike instead. Some observations:

    1) It's heavier (+12 lbs), and it is noticeable. Mostly on the uphills and lofting the front wheel over logs and stuff, but generally feels less "flickable".

    2) The Pug feels more solid and stable than the Twenty2. Geometry is almost identical, so I'm gonna attribute most of that to the steel fork vs the carbon White Bros fork.

    3) Despite all the heated discussions about tires, the differences between the ones I've tried are subtle. The double Larry's on the Pugs feel great, have good traction and exhibited zero handling quirks on my loose, rooty, a little bit rocky local singletrack. I'm currently running Escalators on the Twenty2, and I daresay the Larry's might have lower rolling resistance.

    4) The good old XT hub on the Pugs is virtually silent compared to the Hope Fatsno. I've had zero problems with my Hope hubs, but damn, that rear hub is loud!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,026
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    So, I really hadn't been riding the Pugs at all in the last year, except around town, opting for the Ti Twenty2 fatbike instead. Some observations:

    1) It's heavier (+12 lbs), and it is noticeable. Mostly on the uphills and lofting the front wheel over logs and stuff, but generally feels less "flickable".

    2) The Pug feels more solid and stable than the Twenty2. Geometry is almost identical, so I'm gonna attribute most of that to the steel fork vs the carbon White Bros fork.
    The Pugs definitely has a search and destroy feeling that makes you want to crush anything in its path as opposed to dancing around/between obstacles.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    4) The good old XT hub on the Pugs is virtually silent compared to the Hope Fatsno. I've had zero problems with my Hope hubs, but damn, that rear hub is loud!
    I consider my Hope rear hub part of my bear avoidance strategy. It's crazy loud.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mochunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Having ridden both older and newer pugs, there is a huge amount of weight loss between regular old Marges and Marge Lites. It wouldn't be too hard to get the older pugs to a more modern weight. Shrug.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527

    Pugs Refresh

    I have a pair of holy RDs I may throw on. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the bike. Might sell it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    476
    I'm now putting together my Pugs Ops frame. I like the puke green, it blends in well so when the government comes after me I can hide in the mountains and they won't see me. Special Ops complete...

    It's like Lego, I love building up my bike, this is so much fun. I got my Alfine 8 which is now mounted in the dropouts, without a rim attached since everyone seems to be out of Holy RD's right now. On the front I have an old XT rear hub I'll lace up. I put my BB7's on too.

    I am wondering though about the BB, it has this 100 mm spacing, which one do you recommend? I can't seem to find the Surly one anywhere to buy, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I was kind of hoping to stay with the old spindle-type BB's, is that possible with 100 mm? There is this post about how unreliable those external Surly bearings are, and the whole point of the Pugs is to be reliable out in the wilderness.

    For pedals I have an old pair of the Blackspire ones, they are a Vancouver BC based company. I really like those pedals so I'll buy another pair for this bike. Maybe some other components too.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I'm now putting together my Pugs Ops frame. I like the puke green, it blends in well so when the government comes after me I can hide in the mountains and they won't see me. Special Ops complete...

    It's like Lego, I love building up my bike, this is so much fun. I got my Alfine 8 which is now mounted in the dropouts, without a rim attached since everyone seems to be out of Holy RD's right now. On the front I have an old XT rear hub I'll lace up. I put my BB7's on too.

    I am wondering though about the BB, it has this 100 mm spacing, which one do you recommend? I can't seem to find the Surly one anywhere to buy, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I was kind of hoping to stay with the old spindle-type BB's, is that possible with 100 mm? There is this post about how unreliable those external Surly bearings are, and the whole point of the Pugs is to be reliable out in the wilderness.

    For pedals I have an old pair of the Blackspire ones, they are a Vancouver BC based company. I really like those pedals so I'll buy another pair for this bike. Maybe some other components too.
    Sounds like fun. You can find complaints about every type of BB that exists, so you're on your own there, bud. I've got a Mr Whirly crank on mine, and yeah, the lifespan of the stock bearings is short. But fairly cheap and easy to replace. You can get a square spindle BB from Phil Wood or choice of 2 downhill-type ISIS BB. Fatbikes.com sells all 3 of them.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks. That Race Face DH one seems good. Amazingly, they have them at MEC for only $36, half what they are selling them at the US mail order shops for. But they don't have the 100 mm version at MEC.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Thanks. That Race Face DH one seems good. Amazingly, they have them at MEC for only $36, half what they are selling them at the US mail order shops for. But they don't have the 100 mm version at MEC.
    Welcome to the world of fatbiking. Parts can be hard to find. You can try running through the streets yelling with a fistful of money. Or sometimes posting here works.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Thanks. That Race Face DH one seems good. Amazingly, they have them at MEC for only $36, half what they are selling them at the US mail order shops for. But they don't have the 100 mm version at MEC.
    Can't vouch for that particular BB. The ones on fatbike.com are internal bearing type and come with ISIS splined spindles that are known to work with various ISIS type cranks.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: druidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    670
    Race Face DH BB on my 9zero7 is beginning to feel a wee bit rumbly. That's about 18 months of riding in all conditions.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    203
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]828632 ][QUOTE=vikb;10645830]The Pugs definitely has a search and destroy feeling that makes you want to crush anything in its path as opposed to dancing around/between obstacles.ATTACH] Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,527
    [QUOTE=onecogshortofacluster;10647938][ATTACH=CONFIG]828632 ]
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Pugs definitely has a search and destroy feeling that makes you want to crush anything in its path as opposed to dancing around/between obstacles.ATTACH] Like this?
    That'll just git your eye poked out, son. From yesterday's ride?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    203
    no, I cleared that out around May. This goes on for about a mile, always on that trail. Yeasterday, we road Apple Pie Hill. We are going to make that our Global night ride on Dec 7. I need to get it ( the trails ) in my little brain before hunting season starts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pugger Refresh
    By davesauvageau in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
  2. How to know when to refresh Stan's
    By jbsmith in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM
  3. Heckler Refresh? 1.5 Headtube?
    By JCHKeys in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
  4. Pugs & Pugs frame/fork
    By KP snowman in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
  5. I gave the San Andreas a refresh.
    By Mountain Cycle Shawn in forum Mountain Cycle
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •