mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Pug rims on Moonlander

Wondering if it's possible to run Pugsley sized rims on a ML.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you mean Rolling Darryls, or Marge lights, or Large marge, I don't see why not. I don't think the lower offset would make the brake side spokes too much shorter/straighter with the 28mm offset rear hub.

The only rims you can't put on a moonlander are the non offset ones that only have 32 holes, and they are all down the middle. If they have 32 holes alternating side to side, you could drill another 16 holes between the 16 already on the right side, or on one that has them all down the center, I guess you could still redrill them with another 32 holes on the right side if the flat section of the rim is wide enough.

Human Test Subject
    i think surly said nothing smaller than a darryl will fit in the rear. you can do whatever you want with no offset up front though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Wondering if it's possible to run Pugsley sized rims on a ML.

You can do it. Spoke tension won't be great. Due to the ML's 28mm offset vs. the Pugs 17mm offset. The Marge Lite and Rolling Darryl have the same spoke hole offset. The Clown Shoe rim has more offset to deal with the ML's greater frame offset.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    yeah, it looks a little worse than I had been thinking, but still very doable. It looks like the closer the center to flange numbers are to each other the worse it will be, so don't use a single speed, or IGH hub with the narrower rims. Some of the 8-10 speed disc hubs have as much as 17mm more C-F on the left side, and as little as 10mm. Try to go for the ones closer to 17mm.

mtbr member
    Pug rims on Moonlander-47090_4650144329053_863828132_n.jpgLast summer I had a moonlander/ marge lite set made. I ride them pretty hard, I weigh 265lbs and have bike packed with them with zero problems. In person the wheel looks very normal without an extreme looking dish. I love having a summer wheel set like my marge lites with husker du's.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

You can do it. Spoke tension won't be great. Due to the ML's 28mm offset vs. the Pugs 17mm offset. The Marge Lite and Rolling Darryl have the same spoke hole offset. The Clown Shoe rim has more offset to deal with the ML's greater frame offset.
    What application/web page are you using to calculate this? I am thinking of rebuilding my rims (Clown Shoe/Rolling Darryl) with new, lighter hubs and spokes, and will then need to get the proper spoke length...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    What application/web page are you using to calculate this? I am thinking of rebuilding my rims (Clown Shoe/Rolling Darryl) with new, lighter hubs and spokes, and will then need to get the proper spoke length...
    Freespoke
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com