mtbr member

Pug ops vs Pug vs Necromancer Weight

In the market for a fat bike. I realize weight is not a major factor on a fat bike, but if one is significantly lighter than the other and makes riding more enjoyable then I would probably factor that in. My lbs weighed their 2013 Pug (med frame) in front of me and it weighed 33 pounds and change. That was pretty light I thought considering I have read on this forum of these bikes approaching 40 lbs.
    Do the pug ops (or put black ops, whatever its called) and Necromancer weigh significantly more? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    My understanding was that it is the same frame but wider rims spec'd and a 2 gear crank(MWOD) to prevent chain rub on the tire. Any weight difference should come from rims being different and part specs where they differ.
    I have a Necro, never weighed it. I lust after the Carbon Beargrease though! I would sell my first born for one.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Maybe a half pound more for the Ops? It's not going to be much... and you get a nice meatier (meteor?) tire in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That scale was off I think. Most would kill for a 34 lb Pug.

mtbr member
    Your looking at the wrong brand if you want to save a few pounds.

The summary:
    Quote Originally Posted by offcourse View Post
    your looking at the wrong brand if you want to save a few pounds.
    I Love my Surly, even if some think she is heavy around the waist.

mtbr member
    My stock Large 2013 Necro came in at 36 lbs with eggbeater pedals.
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

mtbr member
    If you read my original post I said I am not getting a Fat Bike for the weight. I am just wondering the difference between the different Surly models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If we're talking new 2014 bikes, the base pug does have the lighter rims but 27 TPI tires. The Ops will have wider rims (slightly heavier) but lighter 120 TPI tires.

I would bet they shake out to almost the same weight....maybe .5 pound edge to the Ops bike?

mtbr member
    The new Specialized Fat Boy is rumored to be sub $2k (with alloy frame and carbon fork) and ~ 30 lbs. I hope Surly has a contingency plan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    The new Specialized Fat Boy is rumored to be sub $2k (with alloy frame and carbon fork) and ~ 30 lbs. I hope Surly has a contingency plan.
    Like mentioned Surly bikes have never been about being lite. Steel, usually over built, with lots of configuration flexibility does not make a lite bike.
    Their value is in the flexibility of the design. Fenders, racks, swappable wheels, single speed, IGH, tire clearance, water bottle mounts, etc.

If you want a bike main stream bike then Specialized will usually make one that is better for less, but if you want to configure it in less common ways a Surly will probably fit the bill better.

However we may see fewer or different complete bike options from Surly as mainstream manufacturers produce bikes that closely match their current offerings.

Craig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    Like mentioned Surly bikes have never been about being lite. Steel, usually over built, with lots of configuration flexibility does not make a lite bike.
    Their value is in the flexibility of the design. Fenders, racks, swappable wheels, single speed, IGH, tire clearance, water bottle mounts, etc.

If you want a bike main stream bike then Specialized will usually make one that is better for less, but if you want to configure it in less common ways a Surly will probably fit the bill better.

However we may see fewer or different complete bike options from Surly as mainstream manufacturers produce bikes that closely match their current offerings.

Craig
    I agree. Surly has some brand loyalty attached to it for many also. I think if you wanted a fat bike for year round purposes than the FatBoy might be the way to go. We will see when I got the scratch to actually make a purchase, but I plan on getting a Fat Bike this fall for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I hope Surly has a contingency plan.
    Surly has done well selling medium weight versatile steel bikes against loads of competition who offer lighter blingier aluminum or carbon bikes. I don't suspect there is any panic going on at QBP.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What is the benefit of a steel frame when riding on snow though?

Titanium junkie
    Steel gives a little, not as harsh as Aluminum or Carbon, but it does
    rust.
    On that point, after what my Pug just went through and survived, I will keep getting
    Surly.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am not on the fence. I hate to give the big boys (Specialized) business on their first fat bike but it's gonna be cheaper, several pounds lighter, and offer hydraulic brakes for less money than the Pug Ops. Decisions, decisions..

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Competition for the mid to lower price range for quality fat bikes just got hot with Specialized showing up...if Surly doesn't respond, it's flat sales will be by choice, not design...I'd love to support them but if they don't want to compete, no tears will be shed here...all the best to everyone!!!
    hellboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wimeli@hotmail.com View Post
    Competition for the mid to lower price range for quality fat bikes just got hot with Specialized showing up...if Surly doesn't respond, it's flat sales will be by choice, not design...I'd love to support them but if they don't want to compete, no tears will be shed here...all the best to everyone!!!

Pffft. So far the Fatboy has not noticeably hurt Pugsley sales. Salsa would have a more direct competitor to the Fatboy, anyhow. QBP knows how to differentiate between their brands.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm sure your ownership of 3 Surly bikes has no bearing on your views...and I love the brand...my comment was aimed at new bike buyers who are comparing old and new designs etc...Spec gets a lot of shame for being one of the big boys, hmmm, how'd they get there? I am HOPING that Surly, Salsa et al are moved to improve...I ride a 30 yo crmoly roadie and love my old girl...but I also finally picked up a newer bike that is faster, more comfortable and simply better design...so, with all due respect to brand loyalty, and Surly deserves what they have, I'm not getting any younger and a bike that keeps me out in the cold longer in the winter is what I will buy...if Surly came up with a bike like the Fatboy, I'd be hailing their glories!!! Happy trails....
    hellboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I enjoyed my pugs ops this winter.