disc brakes that don’t squeal
    a rear shock from lauf

anyone else have any predictions?

or things you wish existed?
    Mikee Likes It!
    @gordosbicycleclub

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I’m all for bigger, fatter tires whatever size they may be.

Anchorage, AK
    New Moonlander.
    --Peace

All fat, all the time.
    25"x6.5" tires.....
    Fat Pike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A rear shock from Lauf? That would be interesting. Imagine the pogo-stick that frame would become.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    "Modern Trail Geometry" will be renamed "Downhill Suspension Geometry" and market forces will no longer push frame designers to spoil rigid hardtails with excessively slack angles for a suspension fork that never is going to get fitted.

The 6" tyre will arrive, and everyone who wanted one will complain about its excessive price, and then after purchase complain about the lack of flotation in powder snow.

Gearbox bikes like the Pinion will become popular with the adventure bike set who will then be impoverished and unable to afford an adventure.

A new wheel diameter of 36" is introduced to allow fitment of the new Shimano FourPi 18 speed cassette with 11/79 cogs and 4 speed front 23/67. It will have a custom chain pitch of 12.5663706mm, and the special feature of every cog being a prime number to even out chain wear.

Stem cell technology will allow the growth of new body parts, and this is seized on by professional mountainbikers who get extra thumbs attached so they can operate all the little levers for their dropper posts, lockouts, derailleurs, etc.

Single speed retro grouches will not notice any of the above advances and continue to ride their bikes anywhere...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The 6" tyre will arrive, and everyone who wanted one will complain about its excessive price, and then after purchase complain about the lack of flotation in powder snow.

)
    You left out that people will complain that these tires self steer below 1.3697 PSI while riding on pavement

WNC Native
    Moooooorreeee B fat tire and rim options
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    "Modern Trail Geometry" will be renamed "Downhill Suspension Geometry" and market forces will no longer push frame designers to spoil rigid hardtails with excessively slack angles for a suspension fork that never is going to get fitted.

Gearbox bikes like the Pinion will become popular with the adventure bike set who will then be impoverished and unable to afford an adventure.

A new wheel diameter of 36" is introduced to allow fitment of the new Shimano FourPi 18 speed cassette with 11/79 cogs and 4 speed front 23/67. It will have a custom chain pitch of 12.5663706mm, and the special feature of every cog being a prime number to even out chain wear.

Stem cell technology will allow the growth of new body parts, and this is seized on by professional mountainbikers who get extra thumbs attached so they can operate all the little levers for their dropper posts, lockouts, derailleurs, etc.

Single speed retro grouches will not notice any of the above advances and continue to ride their bikes anywhere...
    That is funny, and partially, quite likely to happen!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    A rear shock from Lauf? That would be interesting. Imagine the pogo-stick that frame would become.
    Thought the same thing.

45nrth or one of the other Q brands will come out with 27.5 bfat tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A new wheel diameter of 36" is introduced to ...
    Already here!

https://dirtysixer.com/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    I meant fat, but thanks for the link. They look great.

mtbr member
    It really is mind boggling to see all the cool stuff out in the last few years

We sure are spoiled

Agreed, a Fat Pike of Fat Fox would be cool

We really could use more 29 x 2.6 and 29 x 2.8 tires also. Seems like 27.5 got all the love there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Prediction: a slow deflation of the fatbike bubble (i.e. not much new or innovative).

Want: a studded ~4.6 tire with good deep snow traction that I don't have to sell a kidney to afford.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    Prediction: a slow deflation of the fatbike bubble (i.e. not much new or innovative).

Want: a studded ~4.6 tire with good deep snow traction that I don't have to sell a kidney to afford.
    Get a wrathchild, good stuff. Mine was $ 200 @ REI with a 20% off coupon, should last 5 years or so.

sluice box
    36 spoke wheels will make a comeback.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Get a wrathchild, good stuff. Mine was $ 200 @ REI with a 20% off coupon, should last 5 years or so.
    They look like a nice tire but in Canada they go for $350 a pop. I can order online from REI but after shipping, duty, tax, exchange a pair of tires is still going to be $600.

I guess the real problem is I haven't figured out how to sell the "honey I'd like to spend $600+ on a set of bike tires" conversion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    well its been a while since we've gotten a new hub spacing "standard"...

Music & Bikes
    I'm all in for a new wheel size.
    It's been a while

And their Plus

a 36'' a 750 , a 800 and then a 36 Plus , 750 plus and 800 Plus
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I’d be up for extra body parts, but one thumb per hand is plenty; I’d take a extra set of arms.

Fat bike bubble? I don’t think there is one, it’s just a bike format these days, probably not gonna change much either direction.

I think we’ll get a couple more full suspension fat bikes, perhaps from the likes of big S.

Definitely gonna see more integrated ebike stuff, for what that’s worth.

6” tires, hmm, gonna need a new hub standard, oh boy!

I’d be surprised if Fox or SRAM gave it up for another fat bike fork, but ya never know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    well its been a while since we've gotten a new hub spacing "standard"...
    NOooooo!! No more hub sizes, please.

A 6" tire will be fine on a 197 run 1x.

If not, a dt 350 big ride 197 but w SS freehub that would fit 6 cogs or so. That'd be plenty of ratio running a 6" tire.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

Waiting for Godot
    6" 29er tires and pinion gearbox frame to go with it. Cause that makes the most sense. More gears, more float, more grip and they can charge us more for it. Win win situation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd take a pinion, but it's gotta be mounted on the right frame... you know what I like, no need to say it

How about an fat ebike with a hand operated clutch?

mtbr member
    - 27.5 x 4.8 Tire(s)
    - A roadie motor converted to have more torque and easily slips into seat tube and bottom bracket.
    Last edited by calzonical; 02-10-2018 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'd settle for a genuine 5 inch tire with stud pockets, something like a maxxis colossus with stud inserts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    NOooooo!! No more hub sizes, please.

If not, a dt 350 big ride 197 but w SS freehub that would fit 6 cogs or so. That'd be plenty of ratio running a 6" tire.
    Yep, that’s what I was thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the European OEMs does this first as they seem to be leading the way towards fatter tires. The US market seems content to be stalled out at 4.8” and trending towards faster, lighter, racier bikes with lower profile, skinnier fat bike tires.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post

No. At least not with anything resembling an acceptable chainline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I’d love more suspension fork options from Rock Shock and Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    On the topic of hub width, any reason why you went with a 217 custom hub on the merriwether vs offsetting a 197 hub 10mm? Just curious. It is a sweet looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    They look like a nice tire but in Canada they go for $350 a pop. I can order online from REI but after shipping, duty, tax, exchange a pair of tires is still going to be $600.

I guess the real problem is I haven't figured out how to sell the "honey I'd like to spend $600+ on a set of bike tires" conversion.
    I bought a set of 4.5 Gnarwhals online with 20% coupon for $96 each. Studded myself for $30 each. Set for $250ish,only suckers pay retail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Surly will make something in steel and not give a crap what the rest of the industry is doing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK
    Unless you run an IGH.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Surly will make something in steel and not give a crap what the rest of the industry is doing.
    While there is always a market for a steel bike, they still need to produce what people want and lately they've not exactly been setting the fatbike market on fire or been particularly innovative.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_state_of_surly

Ambassador of Chub
    "Modern Trail Geometry" will be renamed "Downhill Suspension Geometry"....
    If you think those two are the same thing you're clearly confused. Or something.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Direct sale bicycles will gradually take over the new bike market, forcing many LBS to close the doors. As a result, bike owners will be forced to rely on Youtube to learn bike maintenance.

This transition will not be without problems as many less mechanically inclined home bike mechanics will be confounded by basic bike maintenance issues, as a result they will blame the product, unleashing a backlash of negative feedback on direct sale bike sellers for not supporting their products.

Go figure

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think Surly is going to gradually shift their production to branded clothing, giving up the low margins of bike sales for high margins of clothing sales.

This makes excellent business sense, they certainly have a following of people who like to have a Surly in their garage, even if it doesn't get used :0

Clothing branded with SURLY informs the general public that you are unique, just like the brand you support. Yup, clothing, it's certainly Surly's future

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    While there is always a market for a steel bike, they still need to produce what people want and lately they've not exactly been setting the fatbike market on fire or been particularly innovative.

https://surlybikes.com/blog/the_state_of_surly

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Direct sale bicycles will gradually take over the new bike market, forcing many LBS to close the doors. As a result, bike owners will be forced to rely on Youtube to learn bike maintenance.

This transition will not be without problems as many less mechanically inclined home bike mechanics will be confounded by basic bike maintenance issues, as a result they will blame the product, unleashing a backlash of negative feedback on direct sale bike sellers for not supporting their products.

Go figure
    Yeah, kinda wonder about that myself.

My prediction...I predict that Ben shall remain an addicted poster during the doldrums and gung ho times.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Go figure

Seems like the mobile mechanic and/or LBS’s focusing on service rather than sales is the best path towards the future. But then I’m not in bike sales or the industry. The bad thing with bikes is they are like shoes in that you’ve got to stock a huge inventory and have different sized models.

While me being an enthusiast is good with ordering my bikes online so I can get exactly what I want, I don’t know if most casual bikers are like that? I guess an LBS could keep a small stock of bikes on hand so people could look at them and then order what they need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    If you think those two are the same thing you're clearly confused. Or something.
    Yeah, probably don't read enough advertorial. Wasted my time building various geometries and experimenting with them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Meh, my posting has already declined, just not getting the same energy from the forum.

Perhaps if things get fun again, but right now it's just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    Yeah, kinda wonder about that myself.

My prediction...I predict that Ben shall remain an addicted poster during the doldrums and gung ho times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Yeah, probably don't read enough advertorial. Wasted my time building various geometries and experimenting with them.
    Isn’t the primary difference between DH geometry and “modern trail geometry” just the seat tube angle (steeper) and length of the chainstays (shorter) on modern trail geo?

mtbr member
    Isn’t the primary difference between DH geometry and “modern trail geometry” just the seat tube angle (steeper) and length of the chainstays (shorter) on modern trail geo?
    I was having a dig at the current craze for slack HAs on XC bikes rather than the rest of the bike, so I was taking some ironic licence (which I thought might be obvious from the tone of my post). There's a few more factors involved, especially front centre, but in the meantime the same laws of gravity and physics apply.

Rather than derail the thread, I'll make some more predictions in the same vein.

Lugged bikes will make a comeback due to the dropping prices of metal powder printers.

Home builders will be making their own custom Ti lugged/Carbon tube frames. Dentists will welcome this trend because bonding failures bring amateur framebuilders to their surgeries in droves.

The first "modified wood" frame appears, built by Drew. (Hint - https://hackaday.com/2018/02/12/need...wood-you-want/ )

Gravel bikes will look undistinguishable from dropbar 29ers of 10 years ago except for a horizontal toptube for battering ones gentlemans accessories.

The folding wheel is perfected. This enables bikes to be packed into smaller spaces for travel. Dentists also welcome this innovation with enthusiasm.

Belt drive becomes universal thanks to improvements made by adding sidelinks with pinned joints and bearing pins and removing the rubber - oh, hang on, that's a chain.

Recumbent XC tadpole trikes and quads have a period of popularity.

The frame headtube disappears and the head bearings are mounted directly on the steerer tube connected to bearing housings on the downtube and toptube, thus getting rid of a redundant metal tube. (Yes, it has been done before).

The return of the quill stem is welcomed by older riders who miss being able to adjust their handlebar height in a few seconds.

Shimano will introduce a new BB standard which removes all the problems with previous ones, but needs their proprietary cranks and tools - or did that already happen a few weeks ago?

Rim brakes have a resurgence with the invention of metal deposition on carbon rims enabling disk pad friction material to be used. Hydraulic brake callipers are integrated into the fork and seatstays. Lighter wheels result and everyone is happy except those who ride in the rain. Manufacturers are delighted because once again the rim is a consumable item.

And once again singlespeeders remain unaware any of these advances and continue boring the rest of the cycling world by extolling the superiority of their 20 year old scruffy rigid steel hardtails.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Frostbike starts tomorrow.

Any leaks yet?
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

Music & Bikes
    The road bike world are gonna follow the MTB world by crating multiple wheel sizes , so everybody and their mother will have to buy new bikes , new wheels , new tires ....

The new size is gonna be 800C

A couple of years later , the XC MTB world is gonna adopt that new size , realizing how superior it is compared to 700 for rolling over rocks.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I'm gonna ride the shit outta my bikes this year after knee replacement slowed me way down last year.

And you would probably be the first to admit that the places you ride are not exactly (or often even remotely) like where most other people do.

You could continue to complain about that, or you might consider being happy that you've got those places to yourself...

On the topic of hub width, any reason why you went with a 217 custom hub on the merriwether vs offsetting a 197 hub 10mm? Just curious. It is a sweet looking bike.

Because I could, because doing so meant I could continue using my preferred-for-expedition-use DT hubs, and because I like the symmetry of an on-center build.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Unless you run an IGH.

Which 197 spaced IGH is that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Frostbike starts tomorrow.

Any leaks yet?
    I think the rumor of a bigger tire/bike combo being released was just the Pugsley 2.0. Pretty disappointing when that bike can’t even run 4.8’s without going single ring, it wasn’t even close to being a step forward in fat bike progression.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    A Fat tire shock from Fox would be sweet!
    Maybe a option from CK for hubs and bottom bracket.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Which 197 spaced IGH is that?
    Rohloff Speedhub XXL

And the one below (this spring )
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Rohloff Speedhub XXL

And the one below (this spring )

I have yet to see a 197 Rohloff. I don't doubt that they might exist somewhere, but they are rarer than unicorn farts.

Which also seems to describe their alleged competitor from Scandinavia...!

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    I have yet to see a 197 Rohloff. I don't doubt that they might exist somewhere, but they are rarer than unicorn farts.

Which also seems to describe their alleged competitor from Scandinavia...!
    Rather true!
    I searched (not very hard, though) for the Rohloff XXL, but could not find any in stock.
    However, here is at least one unicorn:

Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Does that hub provide as wide of a ratio as an 11sp. Because the outside diameter is smaller, I don’t see how it could?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Does that hub provide as wide of a ratio as an 11sp. Because the outside diameter is smaller, I don’t see how it could?
    543% range and 14 speeds
    IGH is a totally different animal than a cassette setup. Does not need the diameter of a regular cog, as it is a planetary/epicyclic setup.

In comparison, a Shimano 11 speed 11-40 is 364%
    SRAM XX1 11speed is 420%
    SRAM XX1 Eagle 12 speed is 500%
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    That sounds very cool! What is it projected to cost? Is it like the pinion drive where I read it can’t be shifted while pedaling or maybe it was the other way around? I just recall it having some weird quirk.

How much more does it weigh than an 11sp set up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dream bike: A pinion Wozo with a little more room in the yoke for 5” tires, 175mm Dropper insertion, shorter stand over, threaded B.B.

Dream bike remodel: A revised swing arm for the Fatillac that has a sliding dropout for 29+ and a wider yoke for 4.5” tires.

^ not really predictions, more like hopes and dreams. I would like to see Devin remodel the Fatillac swingarm, but that’s a lot of work for a one guy shop.

I really want to try a pinion, it just seems so much more reliable and long lasting than a hub.
    I do think IGH or pinion drive is the best way to get tire-chain clearance, the wide range cassettes are getting a little wonky. With a single cog out back, the clearance issue resolve and narrower B.B. options are possible

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I really want to try a pinion, it just seems so much more reliable and long lasting than a hub.
    There's this: Hektor Fat PI MTB – FALKENJAGD

Predictions for 2018-hektor.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Need 29 2.8 tires that truly measure around 2.8 (on a 40mm rim) for sure.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Need 29 2.8 tires that truly measure around 2.8 (on a 40mm rim) for sure.
    Its called the McFly. 😁

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    That sounds very cool! What is it projected to cost? Is it like the pinion drive where I read it can’t be shifted while pedaling or maybe it was the other way around? I just recall it having some weird quirk.

How much more does it weigh than an 11sp set up?
    Pre order price (includes a custom built, complete wheel) is approx 995 Euro (varies with NOK/EUR exchange rate).
    The standard hub (135-148) weighs 1395g + 98g for the SWAP shell, while the 190/197 fatbike version is approx 100g more. Shifters, hydraulic lines, hydraulic actuator, torque arm, etc approx 450g.

Vs. 11 speed setup: varies depending on what 11 speed type you run. Shimano vs SRAM, GX vs XX1, etc., but for comparison, you need to weigh the cassette, RD, shifter, cable, housing and of course the hub.
    We run a shorter chain and shorter spokes, so that saves some vs. the chain and spokes in a typical RD setup.

It can be upshifted under full load, so it upshifts smoother than a derailleur setup. It can downshift under load, but you need to be smoother and let off a little more than on a RD setup, but compared to other IGH/gearbox setups, downshifts can be made under much higher load.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    $7,500?? I've paid less for a car!
    Last edited by Paul Fithian; 02-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Agree. However, I'd imagine that their leaf springs would do quite well on a suspension seatpost. Something like a BodyFloat seatpost but with composite leafs instead of steel springs. The lack of stiction and low weight would be pretty cool, if it could be engineered right...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    McFly is only measuring out to 2.6 in the plus forum. Need a true 2.8 IMO something middle of the road, rolls well as rear but still grips xr3 or forekaster like.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    Agree. However, I'd imagine that their leaf springs would do quite well on a suspension seatpost. Something like a BodyFloat seatpost but with composite leafs instead of steel springs. The lack of stiction and low weight would be pretty cool, if it could be engineered right...
    The original:
    Hals-Lauritzen G-Shok (concept from around 1994, the one in the picture is from around 1997):
    Predictions for 2018-hals-lauritzen.jpg
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    McFly is only measuring out to 2.6 in the plus forum. Need a true 2.8 IMO something middle of the road, rolls well as rear but still grips xr3 or forekaster like.
    Predictions for 2018-img_20180216_192252-01.jpg

2.79 on WTB scrapers at 14psi tubeless.

No complaints about the grip from me.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fithian View Post
    $7,500?? I've paid less for a car!

Bet that car couldn't drive on beaches or soft snowy trails. Certain it didn't make you giggle on singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Pre order price (includes a custom built, complete wheel) is approx 995 Euro (varies with NOK/EUR exchange rate).
    The standard hub (135-148) weighs 1395g + 98g for the SWAP shell, while the 190/197 fatbike version is approx 100g more. Shifters, hydraulic lines, hydraulic actuator, torque arm, etc approx 450g.

Vs. 11 speed setup: varies depending on what 11 speed type you run. Shimano vs SRAM, GX vs XX1, etc., but for comparison, you need to weigh the cassette, RD, shifter, cable, housing and of course the hub.
    We run a shorter chain and shorter spokes, so that saves some vs. the chain and spokes in a typical RD setup.

It can be upshifted under full load, so it upshifts smoother than a derailleur setup. It can downshift under load, but you need to be smoother and let off a little more than on a RD setup, but compared to other IGH/gearbox setups, downshifts can be made under much higher load.
    Thank you for the info. That is out of my budget range for the present but I will be looking for reviews when it is released. Would I be correct in my assumption that it should provide years and years of trouble free service with just oil changes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice bike, but geo is no good for me. I already got a plan and a builder, just need to finish remodeling and pay some taxes

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Direct sale bicycles will gradually take over the new bike market, forcing many LBS to close the doors. As a result, entrepreneurial bike types will open small shops dedicated to service, with no low-margin bike sales wasting their precious time and space. If they do it in such a way that their top flight mechanics don't waste much (any?) time dealing/chatting with customers, they should be much more profitable than traditional LBS's.

mtbr member
    First prediction now reality “Trek Full Stache” just launched

For those who havent seen it already

mtbr member
    Forward thinking Shimano drivetrain

CHECK

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    Forward thinking Shimano drivetrain

CHECK
    They'll be making fat-hubs?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I really don’t know (regarding fat hubs)

But I think you can use the new shimano freehub on some DT Swiss hubs

I think the new Shimano freehub is kinda cool!

Hopefully it will be tank tough!

Even though this “new standard” may not be well received -considering the standard overdoses of late-
    This is a long overdue tech update for Shimano. I think this tech will be good competition to other high end hub manufs. The price should also trickle down.

Im interested to learn more about the spiderless chainring interface... I’m also curious why they advertise 30t being the smallest chainring. Because one of the benefits of spiderless chainrings is being able to run smaller than 30t, which has been the smallest possible chainring for our beloved 104bcd cranks.

I know “most” will not need smaller than 30t with a 51t cassette, but expedition cyclists carrying BIG loads might want 24-28t chainrings.

Wolftooth and Raceface will probably offer smaller chainrings for this crankset