mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Possible 29" on fatbike for use as hybrid bike

I have a Sturgis NX with 197mm/150mm Novatec hubs and have 4.8" tires on 80 mm rims. I also have a hybrid (Giant Toughroad with 2" tires) bike for all around riding, touring (daytours only). The geometry of both bikes (both L-sizes) does not' seem to be totally different.

I was thinking I could consolidate both bike's functions into one. Sell the hybrid and get 29" wheels for the fatbike with 2" tires (semi-road/rough road profile). And just swap wheels as needed (I don't ride the hybrid in winter at all). Not thinking to save money, but would save space and number of bikes to maintain. I also feel bad to not ride as much with either bike and that way one bike would get more use.

some questions for my thought-experiment:
    1. For the ones of you that have 2 wheelsets, do you have to re-adjust brake caliper and derailleur when swapping wheels or have found a way to overcome that?
    2. I have the Novatec D202SB on my fat rims and the possible 29" wheelset has the same hub. Can that be fitted with a SRAM XD driver hub?
    3. Is long riding on a fatbike geometry inherently bad compared to a hybrid? I mean much less comfortable and slower (less efficient at speed)? The fatbike isn't really like an MTB. The fat tires just give me so much resistance that I don't feel desire to do a 100 mile tour on paved or at least smooth paths to find out.

I realize I need to come up with some gearing changes to accomodate slow fatbiking and faster hybrid riding. I'm contemplating an e13 cassette, or a SRAM 10-42, or maybe a 1x12... which is why I ask about the xD driver. Q-factor does not' seem to bother me, although my longest "tour" with the fatbike has been just a bit over 30 km to go to MTB trails. With the hybrid I did one century last year and the longest tour I imagine may be 150 miles (we'll see...)

I realize the fatbike always will be a bit heavier no matter what I do, I also realize a N-1 idea is sacrilege. Maybe if I had bought the fatbike first I would have tried this first... but alas, I had bought the hybrid first and the fatbike second. Maybe not much logic in my thoughts since I already have the bikes, but logic is not always part of a hobby
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yes

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Basically if you put the same rotors and cassette on the same hubs it should pretty much be a seamless swap

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Are you in a storage space crunch? The only reason I ask is that if you are thinking of selling your Giant, you might not get much for it, and you would be giving up a bike that seems to work well for you and replacing it with a compromise. That ToughRoad looks like a great bike, and even though a fat bike with 29er wheels and tires will work, it won't be the same- the Q factor alone on a 100 mile paved tour is something to consider.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    ^^ +1

It's possible to setup the fat bike as a hybrid but the bikes are so different that I'd lean toward keeping the Giant unless space dictates just one bike.

I would still recommend building a 2nd wheelset but with the purpose of converting the fatbike to a trail bike rather than a hybrid. I'd look into a 29er or 27.5 wheelset and running 29x2.6-3.0 or 27.5x3.5-3.8 tires for dirt trails depending on your frame clearances bottom bracket height, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Basically if you put the same rotors and cassette on the same hubs it should pretty much be a seamless swap
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Are you in a storage space crunch? The only reason I ask is that if you are thinking of selling your Giant, you might not get much for it, and you would be giving up a bike that seems to work well for you and replacing it with a compromise. That ToughRoad looks like a great bike, and even though a fat bike with 29er wheels and tires will work, it won't be the same- the Q factor alone on a 100 mile paved tour is something to consider.
    I'm trying to de-clutter my life and use as little space as possible. Right now bikes are cramped in behind the car. Little bit a hassle if I pull one bikeout etc. On the other hand, swapping wheels would be a large hassle. And yes, I already use a lot of storage options. Yes the toughroad is really great and works perfectly for my day-tours (crushed limestone paths, rough roads, bikepaths etc.). So definitely would miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    ^^ +1

It's possible to setup the fat bike as a hybrid but the bikes are so different that I'd lean toward keeping the Giant unless space dictates just one bike.

I would still recommend building a 2nd wheelset but with the purpose of converting the fatbike to a trail bike rather than a hybrid. I'd look into a 29er or 27.5 wheelset and running 29x2.6-3.0 or 27.5x3.5-3.8 tires for dirt trails depending on your frame clearances bottom bracket height, etc.
    I have 2 sets of 4.8" tires (original Maxxis for summer, and studded for winter), so before I wear them down I don't look for adding more off road tires/wheels. I know most people use the 29" wheels on fatbikes still for MTB duty, but for me the actual fat tires would work better for that. If I go to use smaller tires, it would just be for what I do with my hybrid, not actual MTB trails. Maybe once i wear out tires and need to buy new ones I will re-think this idea.

Off-road the fat tires really roll well. They only are noticeable harder to pedal on paved paths. the longest way to a trail is about 10 km, so I just suck that up (and have a good workout). On the trails I never wish for smaller tires , especially with a rigid fork.

I guess I'm talking myself out of that idea. Between new wheels and drivetrain-upgrades there is no financial gain and would be too compromised. Maybe if I didn't have a hybrid to begin with that may be a better idea... but thanks for letting me bounce that idea off you guys...
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1