mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Porcupine Mountains Wilderness Michigan

Has anyone ever gone mountain biking or fat biking in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness in Michigan Upper Peninsula? They have designated mountain biking trails in the summer and also cross country ski trails in the winter. It would be a fun to do a Yurt to Yurt fatbiking trip this winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone?....

Maybe I'll repost this to the "Michigan" forum category.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Porkies fat-biking

I've been there a number of times, some summer and a couple of times during the winter. The "mountain bike" trail system is the xc ski trail system. Times that I've gone there there was not much of a trail, tall weeds and blowdowns. This may have changed in recent years but it was not a very good trail experience.

During the winter I've snowshoed in some of the wilderness cabins, pulling gear in plastic toboggans, for 3-4 day stays. Our plan was to snowshoe to the cabin, set up and then jump off onto the ski trails for a couple of days of skiing or snowshoeing. One of the times, around Christmas, there was just enough snow to make it look white, but not enough to ski on- probably would have been great for a fat-bike. The other time the snow kept piling up. I don't recall what the grooming schedule is, but at that time it was every few days, so in a typical winter expect for there to be soft deep snow to plow through. Love the wilderness cabin experience for backcountry skiing and snowshoeing. Not sure about fat-biking.

I think I'd head to the the Noquemanon Trails in Marquette or the Michigan Tech trail system where both have dedicated fat-bike trail options.

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been there in the summer a few times many years ago, but never the winter. had a similar experience to gellermank regarding not much of a trail, but we weren't really there to bike, just a stop over on our way elsewhere. I'm interested in checking it out maybe this winter though as my family has a place an hour or so south of there.

=========
    I did a 3 day bike packing trip there in 1988. On hiking trails. No trail restrictions existed at all back then. The term wilderness usually means no bikes, at least in the Federal Systems. The Porkies are managed by the Michigan DNR, which usually sticks to bicycles only are allowed on designated bicycle paths, although they (so far) make an exceptions for beach riding because of a state law allowing public access to the lakeshore below the normal high water mark. The place is gorgeous!
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Very interested in this subject. Have spent a bunch of time backpacking in the Porcupines, would love to do some biking/camping this winter.

Even if the Porkies is out for biking, locals up that way have mentioned a ton of great riding on old logging roads/outlaw trails that sound perfect for fatbikepacking in general.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Gomez,

I know its a long time ago...but do you remember what trails you rode back in 1988?

=========

Looking at a map to refresh my memory - this is the best of my foggy recollections.
    We started at the Lake of the Clouds overlook and Followed the BigCarp River to Correction Line to the Little Carp out and back to correction and the N. Gov. Peak to the Union Creek to the union mine trail back out to the road and then the long paved climb back up to the start. Three days and two nights. First night's camp was right next to a nice waterfall, where we caught and ate brook trout. Where the Little Carp River meets lake Superior we fished with no luck. We could see nice big rainbows, but they wouldn't bite our salmon eggs. The second night we slept in the backpack cabin by the union mine trail. I remember being soaked for most of that trip. A very long time ago...

All of these trails are closed to bikes now - As I mentioned before, there were no restrictions on where you could ride previously to say 1991 or thereabouts.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your there, might as well go to Houghton (Michigan Tech trails), Calumet or go to Copper Harbor. 100's of miles of singletrack within an hour to an hour and a half of the Porkies

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Porcupine Mountains Biking

Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post

Looking at a map to refresh my memory - this is the best of my foggy recollections.
    We started at the Lake of the Clouds overlook and Followed the BigCarp River to Correction Line to the Little Carp out and back to correction and the N. Gov. Peak to the Union Creek to the union mine trail back out to the road and then the long paved climb back up to the start. Three days and two nights. First night's camp was right next to a nice waterfall, where we caught and ate brook trout. Where the Little Carp River meets lake Superior we fished with no luck. We could see nice big rainbows, but they wouldn't bite our salmon eggs. The second night we slept in the backpack cabin by the union mine trail. I remember being soaked for most of that trip. A very long time ago...

All of these trails are closed to bikes now - As I mentioned before, there were no restrictions on where you could ride previously to say 1991 or thereabouts.
    Thank you for the comments and route. It is too bad they closed the trails to mountain biking. I may try the skiing/snowshoeing trails this winter with my fat bike...if it doesn't work out I will just use my awesome Marquette Backcountry Skis in the powder.

I love the rustic cabins and yurts they have there, hopefully I can score them for a weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    INTERESTING... I started to get pissed when I read the first through posts... read through my experience-

ride on purpose: Hayward to Porcupine Mountains via CAMBA's IMBA Epic singletrack and Gravel

Have to scroll down to 5 and 6 pm on the 2nd day...