Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pogies, lobster gloves or 5 finger gloves?

It's getting to that time of year. I'm trying to figure out my winter gear now that I'm loving the Fatty.

I thought I was going to get pogies, but after talking to a couple people I might not be. I plan on doing some XC trails and maybe some fire road type trails. I heard that pogies are hard to get in and out of if you need to get your hand out for something quick on the trail. I think lobster gloves would suck for 1 finger braking. So i think I'm going to the normal 5 finger gloves.....

Mike
    Last edited by tracerprix; 10-30-2012 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What kind of temps are you dealing with? I have Dogwood Designs pogies and haven't had to cinch them up with regular full finger riding gloves in temps down to about -10f. That means they're about as easy to get in or out of as taking your hands off the bars in summer.

I've seen some of the cheap atv pogies that are much smaller and they look like they might be a pain to deal with.

mtbr member
    I'm in syracuse, NY. Plan on going to the ADK too. wind chills are pretty bad here sometimes. Temps usually are 10 degrees F on the cold days usually in the teens or 20s. Up north could be in the single digits and colder at night.

Maybe i could get away with finger gloves. Sometimes I have issues keeping my hands warm, but I'm not biking Ha HA, usually just standing around.

mtbr member
    I've been commuting in Anchorage AK for going on three winters now. The first two I used some cheap(ish) Grandoe expedition type gloves that were water and windproof. In temps down to -15 they were great up to about an hour, then I started getting chilled quite quickly.

This year I got a pair of Black Diamond Guide gloves. Similar design to the Grandoe, but with a removable liner so that I can use a lighter weight liner for the warmer days. So far I've been running these with just a thin liner glove in temps down to the upper single digits and they've been quite sufficient.

What I like about these style gloves is that they have the nice gauntlet to help keep the air out, allow me to easily adjust my lights/zippers/etc while on the bike, and I can use them for other things than just riding.

I've toyed with the idea of pogies, but just can't bring myself to make the leap. I tend to require that all my gear, apart from chamois, do double or triple duty. I can't really think of any other instance where I would use pogies other than on the bike, so that is a huge turn off for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I went out with some new Pearl Iszumi (sp?) lobsters today. 17 degree heat index and my fingers were hot. Two finger braking and downhill grip not as good as five finger gloves but very acceptable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Windchill, "heat index", or "Feels like temperature" means absolutely nothing when you do not have exposed skin, such as the case when you're wearing gloves or pogies.

The issues with gloves are that the insulation will compress as you're grabbing the bars and provide less warmth and they can be cumbersome depending on the size of the gloves and what your controls are like. With gloves you may also need to remove them if you're stopping and grabbing something else like a camera, phone, gps, etc. With pogies you could have a lighter weight glove on underneath so you don't have exposed skin.

With the temps you're facing it's a tough call. When the actual temps are around 10F or above I can wear some windproof gloves with maybe a thin liner glove and my hands are usually warm. With the pogies I know my hands will be warm to temps close to -20 with only full finger riding gloves. A lot depends on how cold your hands get due to circulation, grip, etc.

mtbr member
    I've tried 5 finger gloves, PI lobster gloves, and pogies. I LOVE the pogies, Dogwood Design. The only issues I have with them is taking them on/off THE bike, but removing my hands in/out of the pogies are no problem. The 5 finger gloves don't keep my fingers warm enough. The PI Lobster type gloves keep them a little warmer, but not as well as the pogies. Plus the lobster gloves feel a bit awkward. The pogies kept my hands/finger the warmest. I can even use regular summer/fingerless gloves at times, while inside the pogies.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I've been commuting in Anchorage AK

This year I got a pair of Black Diamond Guide gloves.
    Nice glove, I don't know if I could use them without a nose wipe, I always have a drip.

mtbr member
    I've never needed anything more than lobster gloves in Wisconsin.

Figure if it's too cold for those, I really don't want to be out anyway.

Lobsters seem to be good down to about -15 or so. Other thing that made a big difference last winter was speed- lobster mits got really cold at -15 and 12-15 mph. worked just fine when the trails got slower and my heart rate went up.

mtbr member
    Pogies seem to be the way to go from those in the know

mtbr member
    My issue with the lobster gloves I have is getting back into them with damp hands. I basically cant. Not comfortably. The liner bunches up.

I'm probably in 5-finger expedition glove climate. But having froze 3 fingers last year. I'm going with pogies. I'm not risking going through that again.

Plus it means you can grab food etc. far easier..

Just need to find some to fit my cut-H bars
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    Plus it means you can grab food etc. far easier..
    Especially if you store some in your pogies.

I am not a fan of riding in pogies but if it is below about 10 F I have to. No problem getting in and out of quality pogies though, especially the ones with a built in plastic frame. They don't droop. Lobster gloves are not a big problem for me but I concur on the deal with trying to put them on over sweaty hands. Above 15 F or so I just run 5 finger gloves with a liner.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I usually wear a mid weight liner glove and a pair of OR Mitts,especially when starting out,as my body warms up I end up riding with just my liner gloves. Last year I rode in -20 and colder temps with the liner gloves and mitts my hands stayed pretty warm, even on extended rides.I am thinking about trying some pogies this year. I always have a spare pair of liners gloves tucked in my frame bag too!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses.

I tried on lobster's didn't like them, I doubt i'd get used to them. I'm going to look for a windproof maybe waterproof 5 finger. Maybe pick up a set of pogies. I think maybe pogies with a vent so my hands wouldn't get too warm. I hear the Dogwood Design pogies are good, but I don't think they have a vent.

Oh what to do. Ha Ha.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dehoff View Post
    Windchill, "heat index", or "Feels like temperature" means absolutely nothing when you do not have exposed skin, such as the case when you're wearing gloves or pogies.
    I disagree. Strong winds, humidity, and sunlight make a big difference - even if you are wearing gloves or in a parka or in a tent.

mtbr member
    My wife made poggies for me last year, and I love them, I used my regular full finger gloves i rode all summer in last year and never had cold fingers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    My wife made poggies for me last year, and I love them, I used my regular full finger gloves i rode all summer in last year and never had cold fingers.
    All summer in pogies! WOW JK I know you meant winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    I usually wear a mid weight liner glove and a pair of OR Mitts,.......!
    OR mitts are the cats meow for anything in the cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJJ28 View Post
    OR mitts are the cats meow for anything in the cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I agree, but I don't think mitts are brake lever friendly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    All summer in pogies! WOW JK I know you meant winter.
    ahahaah funny, I did also forget to mention that that is Anchorage though. Didn't think i needed st state winter season. I'll do better next time.

mtbr member
    ahahaah funny, I did also forget to mention that that is Anchorage though. Didn't think i needed st state winter season. I'll do better next time.
    AK isn't that cold in the winter is it?

Wow those Black Diamond Guide gloves looks awesome. Plus they come in orange to match my orange 9:zero:7

mtbr member
    I was thinking of making some. could you post a picture(s) please?

thanks

mtbr member
    Making some, never thought of it. I doubt i can, I'm not good at sewing. I can barely sew a button on.

mtbr member
    DIY Pogies

I need to modify the ones she made by adding a bell bottom style triangle panel to open them up a bit. They are a little hard to get into with a heavier jacket on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    I agree, but I don't think mitts are brake lever friendly.
    It is a lot easier to ride with mitts than it is with frozen fingers. And Pogies are easier than mitts.
    Latitude 61

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast