Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Photo Essay: Fat bike in San Antonio, TX

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  peanut09 
#1 ·
Well I got to work a little early this morning and figured I'd do a little riding and while I was inspired to take some photos of my fat bike I thought HELL! I'll do a little virtual tour. These were all taken with my Iphone, if you like this stuff, I'll bring the SLR next time and get some better shots.

I started off in the King William Neighborhood on Johnson Street, a pedestrian bridge that crosses the river. Cool spot that has 3 or 4 brick steps to get onto it that the Pugs has conquered several times:

From there I took some creative liberties and found my way down to river level and got this shot at one of the waters edge landings:

From there I went back up to street level and let the Pugs take a rest on this bench done by a local artists in the style of "Faux Bois" Carlos Cortes Tall it's concrete sculpted to look like wood, and it's all through San Antonio in public areas and private collections.

view from the bench: (sometimes I walk here on my lunch break and smoke a cigar...BRILLIANT!)

Further up the trail we were getting towards downtown, the building on the right is the Tower Life building, was built in the 20's and has gargoyles on it that are functional downspouts for rain events (what the hell is rain?)

This is from Nueva St. looking South. directly behind me is the World Famous Riverwalk, and unfortunately a city ordnance prohibiting bicycle traffic on river level. So this is where I turned around and went back towards my office. Past the Riverwalk is a new extensio that opened in 2009 that stretches the Riverwalk about 1.3 miles north with another extensio of multi-use trails that will stretch north to Hildebrand Ave. From here south (the perspective of the shot) there will be over 17 miles of Hike and bike trail along the San Antonio River by the end of 2013. This will be in addition to the 64+ miles of multi-use trails along the linear greenway system.

On the way back I ran into the Brackenridge high school track team and a guy walking a bunch of corgies (little fluffy dogs?) on the trail. I decided to leave the trail and see what was happening in the morning rush hour on street level. I ended up at the B-cycle hub on Cesar Chavez (formerly Durango) and S. Alamo and caught this photo of the bike shop and the Tower of Americas at sunrise:

San Antonio has the second largest bike share ridership last year behind only Denver, you can get more info here: San Antonio B-cycle | San Antonio Bike-Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com The shop manager was opening the door and told me "Hey, I don't think that bike will fit in the stall" Bike world is one of the top 5 Trek dealers worldwide and they do the maintenance on the B-Cycles. They don't do fat bikes but they were real helpful in finding me a 9"x11" U-lock so I can secure mine.

I figured I'd take the streets back from here since I needed to get back to the office and shower and get back to me real job so the rest of these photo's were taken "on the move" riding the pugs with the iphone in one hand...

Rosarios, one my favorite mexican restaurants in town (thats saying alot since I'm born and raised in San Antonio and make that fat guy on the food network who does the eating challenges look like a pansy when it comes to habaneros, chile petins, scotch bonnet peppers, ghost peppers and the like:

The Friendly spot, great outdoor bar! very bike friendly, the pugs gets lots of comments when I go here:

Tito's another good mexican food place, not my favorite, but alot of locals swear by it, notice the bike friendly parking out front!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At tito's I decided to work my way back through the King William (read Kaiser Wilhelm= German Settlement) Neighborhood, beautiful houses, gorgeous old growth trees, lots of tourists, and just minutes from downtown.

some houses:

Pioneer Flower Mill and the Guenther House (big time breakfast/lunch place plus a museum to check out while you wait for a table)

check out this one:

2.5 Million Dollar estate in a historical area with a fleet of landrovers out from with a "don't tread on me" flag out front.

who's gonna trad on that guy?

Special thanks for the ability to make this posting goes out to:
the admins, owners, and hosting service here at MTBR
the Chinese folks that make iphones at a price point I can afford.
the fine folks at QBP for making my pugs.
The nice bus driver that happily cruised behind me on the street at 24 MPH in a 30 zone because he couldn't get over in the morning rush hour and the city dropped $100,000+ to change the name of a street but didn't put in any bike lanes...

Bike is basically stock Necro Pugs with a 3T seatpost (I had it left over from my Cervelo when I needed to lose the setback)

future upgrades to the pugs that are in the mail:
Wider Bar
Shorter Stem
Ergon Grips
swapping the shifters for triggers (I hate the levers, and I will never need gloves here so they are gonna go)
brooks saddle
better pedals

Let me know if you guys like this kind of stuff or if you think it's a waste of bandwidth. Next time I'll go south and show you some really cool stuff on the River/ Missions

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.