mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PF Bottom Bracket in Carbon Beargrease. Does it Worry You?

I don't own a bike with a PF BB frame but I've heard/read that they can be troublesome (creaky) My post is two part: Does this system really cause as much noise as I've heard? And, does the PF system make you hesitate to purchase the new bike, assuming, of course you're considering purchasing this bike?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Anything can creak when improperly installed, so I guess "no".

I see PF / BB30 / etc as an analogue to threadless headsets. I've had some threaded and threadless headsets creak, and it had to do with bad installation or plain old wear from use.

That said I have no practical experience with threadless bottom brackets so what do I know...
    Latitude: 44.93 N

addicted to chunk
    My trek fuel ex9 has a PF BB in it. No creaks. I wouldn't hesitate to use a frame that had it, as long as there are cranks available that fit.
    Riding.....

mtbr member

PF Bottom Bracket in Carbon Beargrease. Does it Worry You?

Agreed. The issue is that they aren't being installed quite right, and will make noise....and this probably happens a lot because they are newish. Wouldn't keep me from buying one, but would keep me from letting the 19 year old at the LBS work on it...not that I would do that at all anyway....just an example.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Seen plenty that were factory installed making godawful noise inside 6 months. Regardless of brand, on road, off road, they all "fail" faster than any threaded BB I've ever met, in 30+ years playing with them.

So unless the manufacturers can't install them properly either, I'm going with them being crap.

They fix nothing, solve nothing, and simply allow for your bike to need to be serviced more frequently.

Gee, what a great "solution" to a problem nobody had.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Seen plenty that were factory installed making godawful noise inside 6 months. Regardless of brand, on road, off road, they all "fail" faster than any threaded BB I've ever met, in 30+ years playing with them.

So unless the manufacturers can't install them properly either, I'm going with them being crap.

They fix nothing, solve nothing, and simply allow for your bike to need to be serviced more frequently.

+1 - lots of pro mechanics have been complaining about PF BBs and rejoicing when a company designs a bike with a threaded BB.

My Pugs is running a square taper BB so I'm running ancient technology on my fat bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    the bike industry constantly needs to make up shiz.. otherwise, what are the industry ppl gonna do?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

These factory installs that were problematic, were they mostly on metal frames?

I remember reading some discussion on the Frame Building subforum about how threadless BBs were mainly conjured for carbon frames only, because of the lack of heat distortion and lower need to ream out the BB shell's interior, having to bond in a threaded shell specifically for normal BBs, stuff like that.

EDIT If I can find the post I will link to it.

Mind, I'm not defending the bike industry here...
    Latitude: 44.93 N

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Drew, yes, carbon frames were "in the heap" too.

And all those reasons you state, are true. Which only furthers my disdain for the fast forward, gotta have carbon if you wanna be in the cool club, mentality.

All those measures are to save time, effort and money. Does it make anything better? No.

Just cheaper.

Light, strong, cheap, pick two, unless you're a 17 year old sales kid all hyped up on industry BS, pushing the latest Trek, Specialized etc to some poor unsuspecting consumer who simply wants to ride a lot, and see the shop very little.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

get down!
    I agree with everything everyone said above. I prefer a threaded bottom bracket as well.

My Kona Raijin has a pressfit and I elected to go with the Praxis design and have had ABSOLUTELY zero problems. Not one creek. Promise. Can't recommend them enough for a standard shell.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's like when Chris King was trying to say that everyone was installing their headsets wrong, when it turns out that it was just a flawed design. PF30 is going to creak due to the design in some cases, no matter how faced your BB is or how well you install it. It's just the nature of the design. There's better stuff out there. It's not horrible, but it's not optimal either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.