mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Pedego electric fat bike on Ebay

Excuse me if this has been discussed already, but I could not find it in a search here or an google using MTBR in the search.

I just noticed this ad on Ebay:
    Pedego Trail Tracker Electric Cruiser Bicycle Bike 600W Motor 4"Tire Neon Frame | eBay

It looks a lot like the long tailed narrow crank junk from Tommi-Sea, but it is from a competing Chinese company(They need the competition to bring their prices down to something reasonable for the low quality parts used).

This is not something I am really interested in. I would be more likely to convert a proper trail worthy fat bike to electric assist, or even build one from scratch, hopefully similar to the two I've watched Riverbend build on his threads here. I would sure like to see his designs get produced. I am sure they would cost well over $10k though if they were.

The ad says it has wide 4" tread Schwalbe 26" knobbies.

Has anyone heard of these tires yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Those look like tommisea spider tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did see the spider tires on other pics of the bike on electricbike.com.

I was just hoping maybe Schwalbe did come out with some 4" tires. They probably just got the specs mixed up with another bike.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe tyres are made in Asia. Same factory?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Holy hell that is a ripoff. You can get a brand new Pugsley with a Bionx kit for that price.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'd echo XJaredX's criticism and add another: having a dense (heavy) battery located high and rear on your bike makes for sh!tty handling. Keep in mind the hub motor is already heavy and rear located. Get that battery in the middle.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Left the seller a "question" explaining the problem with his fatbike, not likely to get an answer, best possible scenario is he corrects it.
    Not that anyone who would actually care about it having Schwalbe tires would buy one of these clunkers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I agree that a Pugsley, or other worthy fatbike with a bionX kit, or maybe something maybe a little more powerful would make a much better option than either of the overpriced Chinese electric fat bikes.

It would cost a little more($1800 bike plus $1500-2000 Kit, plus installation, spokes, etc.), but would still be worth something after owning it for a while, where as the Pedego would probably be for sale on craigslist for $700, needs battery, with no takers.

Interesting that they don't use the term "Fat" anywhere in the ad for the Pedego.

I usually do a search for "Fat" on ebay under cycling, so have missed it. I only found it when looking at all electric bikes, and noticed the fat tires in the picture, and then the text where it says: "4" TIRE"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am still waiting for someone to come out with a hub motor, or other electric drive system that uses two motors, combined with pedal input into a planetary drive gear, where the motors are controlled such that pedal resistance and speed are determined by the rpm and torque of the motors. This would eliminate the need for a normal bicycle gearing, as well as providing a boost in speed.

it would be a similar system to most electric hybrid automotive transmission setups that eliminate the need for normal transmission gears for the gasoline engine to run in it's intended powerband. Ford calls it an ECVT, for electric continuously variable transmission.

If it were designed properly for minimal assist, it could have a decent range while adding very little weight, especially compared to an IGH. It might even be lighter than a NuVinci Hub, even with the battery. By selecting the proper gear reduction, the power output of the two motors could be less than what you are putting in with the pedals, and it's main function be to regulate the pedal cadence at varying road speed, and It could even function somewhat inefficiently with no current from the battery at all, with one motor in regen, powering the other motor, and still able to vary the effective gear ratio to the cranks. It would be most efficient if both motors are being powered though, since their efficiency when in regenerative mode is at best near 60%, and that doesn't include the losses in the controller or the other motor being powered.

mtbr member
    DR.911 You would do well to postulate that idea on EndlessSphere

Endless-sphere.com ? View forum - Electric Bicycles

lots,,,,,,,I mean LOTS of electric bike stuff. ......and every poster there is intelligent beyond comprehension ....okay, most of 'em. You will know which ones.

also: FYI.....BionX stuff is not the way to go unless you want to pay more money for less product. They are a brand that advertises alot, so folks know the name. There are many better systems available that are FAR greater values, are upgradable, and much greater performance than BnX. FYI

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by E6roller View Post
    DR.911 You would do well to postulate that idea on EndlessSphere

lots,,,,,,,I mean LOTS of electric bike stuff. ......and every poster there is intelligent beyond comprehension ....okay, most of 'em. You will know which ones.

also: FYI.....BionX stuff is not the way to go unless you want to pay more money for less product. They are a brand that advertises alot, so folks know the name. There are many better systems available that are FAR greater values, are upgradable, and much greater performance than BnX. FYI
    Yes, and Yes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can you suggest some vendors? I am having a hard time finding alternatives to Bionx that aren't shitty Chinese products with questionable reputations. I've decided I'll be taking the plunge soon for a kit for my Big Dummy. Endless Sphere threads are too confusing for me lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ebikes.ca

em3ev.com

mtbr member
    yep. Kos F gave you all the info you need by suggesting ebikes.ca

Elitest thrill junkie
    Eventually we will have brakes on mountain bikes that regenerate energy and store it in batteries and lightweight motors that allow us to harness that energy back uphill for a portion. At first the resistance will be huge, but resistance will likely break down over time. Electric shifting tied in? Probably. Eventually this will all happen IMO. Lots of people will fight and say no, but it won't stop it.

And oh yeah, there'll be a mega thread at the same time about whether to use the battery on the flats or save it for the hills.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Eventually we will have brakes on mountain bikes that regenerate energy and store it in batteries and lightweight motors that allow us to harness that energy back uphill for a portion. At first the resistance will be huge, but resistance will likely break down over time. Electric shifting tied in? Probably. Eventually this will all happen IMO. Lots of people will fight and say no, but it won't stop it.

And oh yeah, there'll be a mega thread at the same time about whether to use the battery on the flats or save it for the hills.
    Sanyo already has a regenerative electric assist bicycle drivetrain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    There are many regenerative options available at this very moment.

At first, regenerative braking sounds like a very fine idea.

In practical use it is of questionable value.

I had thought it a must-have option for an electric setup, but have since changed my mind and don't wish to have it at all.

Endless Sphere is a website full of free thinkers and smart guys..................One of them raced the Pikes Peak hill climb and then coasted back down the mountain after the race, using his regenerative braking function to put energy back into the battery. As I recall the result was less than impressive. He re-generated about 100w/hr on his descent of Pikes Peak. For an electric cyclist who will be recharging his battery from the wall daily, this is not impressive. Still....It is nice to THINK we can recover lost ENERGY. FOUND THE ARTICLE Crushing Pikes Peak With a Hub Motor; on a $1,600 Electric BIke | ELECTRICBIKE.COM

ANYONE WITH even just a passing INTEREST in electric bike should go the above-mentioned website for easy reading, cool photos, and many answers...... Electric Bike Reviews and Reports / ELECTRICBIKE.COM

THEN GO TO Endless Sphere for deep learning, heavy discussion, and to find real-world answers and experience on certain products, ideas, and tinkerings. Prepare yourself for immersion. ....lotta stuff!

No I don't have an e-bike. I want one, though! .....and will have a downhill bike with enough power to wheelie-out!

There are many regenerative options available at this very moment.

At first, regenerative braking sounds like a very fine idea.

In practical use it is of questionable value.

I had thought it a must-have option for an electric setup, but have since changed my mind and don't wish to have it at all.

Endless Sphere is a website full of free thinkers and smart guys..................One of them raced the Pikes Peak hill climb and then coasted back down the mountain after the race, using his regenerative braking function to put energy back into the battery. As I recall the result was less than impressive. He re-generated about 100w/hr on his descent of Pikes Peak. For an electric cyclist who will be recharging his battery from the wall daily, this is not impressive. Still....It is nice to THINK we can recover lost ENERGY. FOUND THE ARTICLE Crushing Pikes Peak With a Hub Motor; on a $1,600 Electric BIke | ELECTRICBIKE.COM

ANYONE WITH even just a passing INTEREST in electric bike should go the above-mentioned website for easy reading, cool photos, and many answers...... Electric Bike Reviews and Reports / ELECTRICBIKE.COM

THEN GO TO Endless Sphere for deep learning, heavy discussion, and to find real-world answers and experience on certain products, ideas, and tinkerings. Prepare yourself for immersion. ....lotta stuff!

No I don't have an e-bike. I want one, though! .....and will have a downhill bike with enough power to wheelie-out!
    Rolling hills. Regeneration works. The Sanyo system generates when the bike is coasting. Not related to direct braking.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    perpetual motion?

this system MUST take energy from somewhere........I assume it slows your descent some. What if I DONT WANT TO slow down

perpetual motion?

this system MUST take energy from somewhere........I assume it slows your descent some. What if I DONT WANT TO slow down
    You turn off the "hybrid" (regen) mode.

Sanyo claims the hybrid mode increases the range by ~30% over straight electric assist on rolling terrain.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Regen is a great idea on large heavy vehicles where slowing on hills or at stops requires heavy braking.
    Bicycles on the other hand have a high drag to weight ratio so top speeds on hills are usually reasonable without braking and it requires little energy to slow a bicycle for a stop. Given the inefficiencies in regen I don't see that it will make much difference for ebikes. It is not a feature I would look for.

My commute is urban with a couple significant hills. By paying attention to the light cycles I can ride my commute barely using any brakes.

Craig