Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pedals/shoes for Fat Bikes

Maybe there is a thread, but I thought I'd ask, what are you using for pedals and shoes for your fat bikes? I have a Beargrease on order and looking for boots/shoes, and pedals. I'm in kansas, so the bike will be ridden in some snow, but also just a winter bike. I'm sure it'll get used year around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    XT trail and Specialized Defrosters!!!

mtbr member
    Converse all stars and Tioga spyder Ds!!!!(4 exclaimation points, cause I mean it!)

mtbr member
    May 2011

mighty sailin' man
    vans, Welgo B27s and Neos when it gets too cold

in the sloppy wet stuff the ice buildup on the pedals can get nasty
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

ent
    Sep 2011
    Mallet 3 pedals (best of both worlds IMHO) with some Sidi mtb shoes

Edit: last winter I used fyxation Mesa pedals with straps. Worked pretty well too but still would be difficult to use with boots

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last winter I used 50/50 pedals flats/spd - they were great at nothing.
    I replaced them with XT pedals for the summer and love them. I found a pair of winter cycling boots so I can keep wearing the cleats but have not actually had snow and ice to try them in.

I previously used old spd mountain shoes for biking to work all winter and never had an issue that I could blame directly on the pedals. When I fell on ice it could have happened just as well with flats.

Dirt Huffer
    I've been very happy with my Mesa MP's. Cant comment on durability since they're so new but so far so good. We need more composite options for winter riding. I feel like they transmit less cold to your shoe sole.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I haven't ridden in the snow/ winter on my pugs yet, but from past riding experience, and from swapping the included plastic junk pedals to a cheap set of Wellgo LU-A52, it is good to know that metal pedals in cold weather will draw heat from your feet/ shoes/ boots faster and more noticeably than plastic/ nylon pedals.

I was planning on the wellgo pedals to be a beater set of pedals to swap between my pugs or one of the other bikes I have in warm-hot weather, but using a decent set of wide nylon pedals with bolts/ pins as my main winter riding pedals and in the late spring and summer maybe getting some fancy metal pedals.

Doing anything outdoors in the winter means above all staying warm and dry, with plastic pedals it is a bit easier to keep the feet warm, for me that is enough of a reason to have two sets of pedals [also, if one set gets smashed up then I have another set waiting]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For the really deep snow days I think I'm going to use this goretex motorcycle boots, i test them the other day and they provide great ankle range of motion (big surprise) and they are really easy to pedal even if they are a little heavy..

mtbr member
    I have been running Forte' flat pedals on my Moonlander since June and pedaled through 10 miles of canyon snow this evening. I have Simple brand shoes for summer and tonight I used my Keen boots.

mtbr member
    use/wear whatever you desire especially if you use flats, however in the winter months perhaps some ankle coverage is best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i just ordered a set of these
    Time Sport, velo luxe, velo carbone, Pédales, TIME ROC & STRONG
    and either gonna get a pair of the 45nrth wolfhammer or get a pair of lakes for the winter summer i want like a open foot sandle type for all the beach riding i do....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Let us know how those Time pedals work out, they look very interesting for winter.
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have read a ton of revies and heard they are the bomb all year round pedal....ill let u guys know they should be on my bike mid week....

mtbr member
    I just use my Egg beaters and normal MTB shoes. I have a variety of booties and wool socks to wear as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride Shimano m545's and Lake MXZ 300's. I think the Lake's have been updated with a newer model. I like the 545's because if I have an issue clipping in when the pedals get icy there is enough surface area and grip to still be usable.

mtbr member
    I'm all over the map, it depends on the season. I have too many options to choose from so I switch all the time.

This summer I had XTR spd's on the Moonie and wore with my old faithful Sidi dominators for riding single track, or I'll wear lake sandals if it's a more casual ride.

Now I've got some single sided SPD m324's - I'm commuting on the bike once in a while now and just getting on it whenever I can. I wear some old Sidi storms which are not winter worthy but decent for fall and spring or whatever shoes I happen to be wearing and use the platform side.

For winter I've got some Wolvhamer's on order, but I'm not sure yet which pedals I'll use. Until then and if it gets snowy soon I'll throw on my DMR v12 platforms and wear my Garmont winter hiking boots. Those are pretty warm.

blood in / blood out
    I'm running Shimano XT pedals with Lake winter boots and love that combo. But with the new Wolvhamer boots, those seem to be the way to go for the clipless gang since the lakes are hard to find. Before I switched to the XT's, I was using Shimano 636 pedals and had great luck with those.
    RICOH for LIFE

conjoinicorned
    i use XT trail pedals with the SHIMANO MW81 shoes, even in the wicked deep snow i really like them, the snow doesn't get in the top part and they are quite warm with the right sock choice
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    I'm going with the shimano mw81 shoes and candy pedals.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    I'm going with the shimano mw81 shoes and candy pedals.
    I have a much older version of does shoes and I love them.. (3 of the red ones)

Sorry best picture I have of them.

Vagician
    Mesa MPs and any boot/shoe(the lighter the better).
    Also, last year I used Egg Beaters and Lake Boots which work fine for me to 0 degrees F.
    Depends on the kind of riding though IMO.

Nuts
    SPD's summer with LG shoes, SPD's winter with shimano MW-81 boots until the snow gets deep and or sketchy then Wellgo MG-1's with Keen boots.
    And I love beer!!

Icebiker

Times + Sidi

Time ATAC (composite model from the late 90's) + Sidi Storm 2's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast