mtbr member

Pedals, with clip, aaaaand, must be green!!!

As you might know, I am building up my Lord Dwarf:
    Lord Dwarf
    And, as obviously can be seen, the main color is.... yes, green

So I am watching out for green clip pedals. The only one seeming be a possible choice are these HT Components Pedal X1, Klickpedal, austauschbare Pins, Alu, Cr-Mo-Achse, 470gramm

Pedals, with clip, aaaaand, must be green!!!-ht-components-pedal-x1.jpg

But as it seems that these pedals are quite new on the market I do not know how good they are. Is someone out there using these and can tell me if these are a good choice?

If the forum here means, that I should keep my hands off these, I will go with simple Shimano clips... Brutal boring , but of curse working forever...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    Many thanks for that link. I swear, I did search for Crankbrothers in green!
    So there are now three possibilities:

1. (thanks to hiro11) Crankbrothers mallet 2
    2. HT Components X1

... both of them in green!!!

3. Or stupid and boring black / silver Shimano, but of course very well proven and very well working!

Gimme free stuff
    I have heard that the crank brothers pedals are vastly easier to use in slow and thick mud. The folks who have told me this have been comparing them to spds, after I was *****ing that I couldn't get my foot clipped in last night in the snow!

based on this, if I was buying my first clipless pedals, I would go with crankbrothers
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

#THELEGEND
    Here is another option for green pedals - iSSi Pedals

little review iSSi Triple Trail Pedal - Review - Pinkbike

pic:
    Pedals, with clip, aaaaand, must be green!!!-2016-01-29-09_31_36-issi-pedals.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you like crank brothers, then the candy 2 in 'hang tag' version comes in bright green.

They only use one bearing, which is lame, so I had to rebuild every 18 months or so. I think shimano pedals are the way to go for me now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use SPD in the summer because I much prefer the system. However I far prefer the reliable connection of the Mallet when clipping in, combined with a platform that is truly effective when used with a boot that has no cleat.

mtbr member
    The Speedline Pro Clipless pedal comes in green.

Pedals, with clip, aaaaand, must be green!!!-speedline-pro-clipless-pedal-green.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help guy's!

I have found a nice looking one, the Crankbrothers Candy 3 in Limited Edition green

Name:  Crankbrothers Candy 3 Limited Edition Pedal - matt black green.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  20.8 KB

So I went on the net and searched a bit for reputation of these pedals. It seems that the quality is a bit an issue, when riding a lot they need a lot of care. Of course a Shimano pedal is careless...

Do you have experiance with these Crankbrothers Candy 3?

turtles make me hot
    I have Crank Bros Mallets on all of my bikes. Two of my friends have the Candys. The newer generations with the roller bearings are fine.
    I used to have to rebuild my earlier generation pedals with alarming regularity when they had plastic bushings but now they're great.
    I like turtles

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberduckxi View Post
    Thanks for your help guy's!

I have found a nice looking one, the Crankbrothers Candy 3 in Limited Edition green

Name:  Crankbrothers Candy 3 Limited Edition Pedal - matt black green.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  20.8 KB

So I went on the net and searched a bit for reputation of these pedals. It seems that the quality is a bit an issue, when riding a lot they need a lot of care. Of course a Shimano pedal is careless...

Do you have experiance with these Crankbrothers Candy 3?
    I ride candy 3's on both of my fat bikes and eggbeater 2s on my gravel bike. The eggbeaters have needed to be rebuilt, but the candy's have been flawless, with a combined 4700 miles on them all in the past 2 seasons. Previously, I'd destroyed 2 pairs of SPD pedals in a season. Crank brothers service is hard to beat and the pedals clear ice, snow and mud much better than any spd pedal.

Jammin' Econo
    I put at least a thousand miles on a pair of Candy 2s last year - no issues whatsoever, despite my best attempts at abusing the hell out of them.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, the crank brothers pedals are the best disposable pedals you can buy.

You also must realize this is the company that couldn't even make cranks, you know, the product in their business name (they tried gluing two halves of dissimilar metal together to form their crank arms, an utter failure).

Here's mine (the pedals were only about 3 mo old too):
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Ha. Ok, I'll take the bait - why are they 'disposable?'
    - Mt Biker E

Ohne Jangschalltung
    Never buy anything from CrankBrothers that rotates...

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by nordstadt View Post
    Never buy anything from CrankBrothers that rotates...
    I wish I'd had your sage advice years ago. Oh, but wait - between my wife and I we've owned 3 different pairs of Candys and never had a problem. Before that I owned a pair of Egg Beaters and never had a problem. Apparently we keep making the same mistake over and over again...
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I wish I'd had your sage advice years ago. Oh, but wait - between my wife and I we've owned 3 different pairs of Candys and never had a problem. Before that I owned a pair of Egg Beaters and never had a problem. Apparently we keep making the same mistake over and over again...
    I have a set of Candy 1s that I spent the princely sum of $19 on several years ago. I'm not sure how many thousands of miles are on them, but they still work just fine.

turtles make me hot
    I snapped a pedal axle on a Mallet last spring. I sent it to CB and they sent me new pedals. I got no complaints with them.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use to ride candy 3s. They have a cartridge outter bearing and the inner bearing is a roller bearing. Candy 1 and 2 use a bushing on the inner - they don't last as long

I switched to some VP spd style pedals that are half the cost. They're way better, but i could see the crankbrothers being much easier to clip in then snow/mud packed.

I just killed the brass cleats every 6 months and at like $25 for cleats and shields it got old pretty quick.

turtles make me hot
    One thing... The 2's come with a bushing but you can swap in a roller bearing with a rebuild kit for a three. Can't do that with a one.

I agree about the 25 dollar cleat replacement getting old. And yes, they do clip in easier in snow and such.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

You also must realize this is the company that couldn't even make cranks, you know, the product in their business name (they tried gluing two halves of dissimilar metal together to form their crank arms, an utter failure).

Here's mine (the pedals were only about 3 mo old too):
    Is this an old picture? Thats an old style design. I have had a pair of those on my 2008 Stumpjumper from the start and have never rebuilt them. Maybe I ride less and I'm prerty light at about 145lbs. Or maybe I've just gotten lucky

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had more crank brothers pedals (and failures) than the ones in the picture.

Pedals, with clip, aaaaand, must be green!!!-crank-brothers-pedal-231.jpg

Granted, these are not my other failures, just images I picked from the internet, but they are indicative of the lack of engineering that goes hand-in-hand with CB products. The one saving grace possibly in this use is that winter is that winter use in snow is generally easy on many drivetrain components, like rings, chain, cassette, shifter, bb bearings, etc. The brass cleats that wear down quickly can get dangerous fast, when they start releasing unpredictably and send your knee into your brake lever, which can also happen when you hit the pedal on a rock due to the scissor-design that releases. They also seem to be very susceptible to spindle breakages, significantly more than other pedals. Then there's the joke bearings they use in some of them and the multiple pedals I've had fall off the spindle when the nut that holds it on comes loose.

Not going to go into function at all, that is more preference of course.

And of course, they are usually among the lightest pedals, so if light weight is most important to you, get these pedals, no question. Get a few!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Be Jayem
    Google a bunch of broken CB pedal pics to make a point
    Accidentally add broken Shimano pedal to collection
    Comment on poor engineering of all pedals in collection
    Others on forum wonder WTF.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Be Jayem
    WTF > FTW.

If I Google 'Shimano failures' I can find all the pics I need to come to the conclusion that all Shimano products suck, are poorly engineered and are a waste of money.

I prefer to go by my experience. And based on my experience, I'd buy another pair of CBs without a second thought.

That said, I'm currently running Race Face flats on my fattie. And they come in green, for those that care.
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Be Jayem
    Haha. I didn't notice, but that's pretty funny.

mtbr member
    i got 1 candy 3 that is going strong after 5 yrs. of course i rebuild it yearly with their rebuild kit, service, grease it and make sure i put some TLC.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    WTF > FTW.

If I Google 'Shimano failures' I can find all the pics I need to come to the conclusion that all Shimano products suck, are poorly engineered and are a waste of money.

I prefer to go by my experience. And based on my experience, I'd buy another pair of CBs without a second thought.

That said, I'm currently running Race Face flats on my fattie. And they come in green, for those that care.
    Well, no one's perfect. The only shimano trouble I ever had was with 545 pedal bodies, which would loosely detach from the pedal mechanism and get floppy, that was the price of having the 30 degree cant for clipping in. Once I figured out the parts rebuild kit, I was able to make them go on forever, like all of my others. I have a feeling a lot of people threw these away though, but I digress. If CB's self-ejecting design works for other people, then that's that. I would never recommend them to anyone based on the engineering and durability, but there were people that could ride forever on square taper BBs and cook bros cranks (not to be confused with crank bros). Personally, I feel that most CB products have a gimmick/hook to attract you to them, like lighter weight than all comparable products, but you take a big hit for a woefully under-engineered product. Their wheels, cranks, most of the seatposts, most minipumps, were all dismal failures.

As usual, if you want crank brothers pedals that are durable, you buy Times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had a number of Crank Brothers pedals and I did find that they needed more service and parts than Shimano XT. I now only use the Mallet for winter riding and find it awesome, and can service it to an acceptable level. XT is my choice in the summer and the service on that is required relatively infrequently, and is incredibly easy. However, I haven't found a platform clipless pedal that actually works well with a regular shoe/boot compared to the Mallet. The spd mechanism just sticks too far up for the cage around it to be much use on the spd "platform" pedals.

Shimano is not without major flaw though - I have a pair of XTR pedals that are in the bottom of the bin because they need replacement shafts which cost as much as a new set of XT's - the XTR's are still good enough as a backup pair, but are also known to snap on occasion. Sometimes the standard "workhorse" model really is better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thousands of miles on multiple CB pedals (with regular greasing) and zero problems. Egg beater SL and 3, Candy SL, 3, and 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk