Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    20

    Pedal Suggestions

    Looking for suggestions for a lighter weight platform pedal without breaking the bank, want to keep it under $100.00, will be going on my fat bike mainly for winter riding so want one that grips my boots well. Any suggestions would be great.

  2. #2
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,326
    Fyxation Mesa
    I like turtles

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    184
    One Ups composite. Large platform for winter boot. The pedals are to big for my size 9mfeet in five tens, but work great with my winter boot (Keen Summit County) I use for cycling. Around $50.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mehlertmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    95
    Race Face Chesters. Composite and under $50


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,527
    Xpedo spry!

  6. #6
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,234
    Not all pedals work with all boots so there might be some trial and error, or you might just get lucky the first time. Just giving a little forewarning. What boots are you using?

  7. #7
    It's carbon dontcha know.
    Reputation: 6thElement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    One Ups composite. Large platform for winter boot. The pedals are to big for my size 9mfeet in five tens, but work great with my winter boot (Keen Summit County) I use for cycling. Around $50.
    I can endorse this suggestion, work well with my size 13 winter boots. Composite means less metal touching you while in cold temps.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

  8. #8
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,496
    I like Spank Spikes. Large platform and they're very thin so you can still get that leg extension with thick soled boots. Pins are very grippy. You'll have to shop around to find them under $100 bones but they're out there.
    No moss...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    66
    Iím not very picky when it comes to pedals, I generally buy whatever is cheap and on sale. But you need a few features for winter riding. 1. The pedal has to have a lot of open area so snow and ice doesnít build up. 2. Iíve found pins to provide the best traction. 3. Iíve not really noticed any difference between plastic and aluminum pedals when it comes to warmth but it seems like plastic wouldnít be as cold? 4. The wider the platform the better IMO. 5. Not all plastic pedals are created equal. Iíve had two pairs that didnít work because they had plastic pins instead of metal and just got too slick. Both collected ice/snow build up and were terrible. That said I installed a different brand on my wifeís bike that had metal pins and theyíve been good so far.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,415
    Xpedo Spry wear fast, bushings loosen, pins tear out, not worth the price.

    Fixation Mesa or similar nylon pedals with steel pins are a good choice, been riding them for years, canít kill em.

    I like the Race Face Chesters, got a few pair, look nice and seem durable so far.

    Aluminum pedals tend to grab rock, pins tear out, and theyíre cold underfoot.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    150
    I like composite pedals. I have Nukeproof Horizon Comp and OneUp Components Composite.

    They both work well with my boots (Columbia Bugaboot) in the winter.

    Kona Wah Wah II composite would be another similar choice.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    282
    I recently installed a pair of Crank brothers Stamp pedals in large on my 9:zero:7, really happy with them.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Xpedo spry!
    I second this. I have them on all my bikes.

    I have not had any of the problems that Nurse Ben mentions. They have been bullet proof in 2 years of ownership. One of the lightest platform pedals out there.

    http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/platform/144/spry

    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/long-te...o-spry-pedals/



  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    I recently installed a pair of Crank brothers Stamp pedals in large on my 9:zero:7, really happy with them.
    Me too, the Stamp 3's. These are the only flats I have used in the last 10 years, so I don't have any comparisons, but they have impressed me with how well they grip my boots.....and the Large platform is huge.
    https://www.backcountry.com/crank-br...p-3-pedals?s=a

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mojoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    404
    I've been looking at the Stamps online. What is the difference between the Stamp 7 vs. the Stamp 3?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,808
    Nylon race face chesters.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    One Ups composite. Large platform for winter boot. The pedals are to big for my size 9mfeet in five tens, but work great with my winter boot (Keen Summit County) I use for cycling. Around $50.
    +1.

    I got a pair of One Up composite pedals this year and highly recommend them. They are affordable, have a large platform, are reasonably thin, don't act as heat sinks like metal pedals, and have more pins than most other composites (e.g. 10 per side vs 8 Race Face chester).

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoe View Post
    I've been looking at the Stamps online. What is the difference between the Stamp 7 vs. the Stamp 3?
    Just looking at Crank bros site it looks like the outer bearing is the difference....(Igus for the 7, Enduro cartridge on the 3. It's lighter too, but it is hard to say if that is the only difference. Doesn't seem like it for an addition $50.
    It also appears like the 7 has a shorter axle (at least, shorter on the threaded side). This might be a bonus for an already wide Q factor of a fatty.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: armii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    646
    +1 on the Chesters. I actually like Shimano Saints better, but they do not fit the requirement of light.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    Just looking at Crank bros site it looks like the outer bearing is the difference....(Igus for the 7, Enduro cartridge on the 3. It's lighter too, but it is hard to say if that is the only difference. Doesn't seem like it for an addition $50.
    It also appears like the 7 has a shorter axle (at least, shorter on the threaded side). This might be a bonus for an already wide Q factor of a fatty.
    I have the Stamp 7, previously the original Stamp pedal. The Q factor is narrower than the 2 and 3 by design.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,415
    Went through four sets, all have become rattle cages, pins torn out, not a pedal for heavy use, esp where pedal strikes are common.

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I second this. I have them on all my bikes.

    I have not had any of the problems that Nurse Ben mentions. They have been bullet proof in 2 years of ownership. One of the lightest platform pedals out there.

    http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/platform/144/spry

    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/long-te...o-spry-pedals/



  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,415
    Nice looking pedals, fair price too ... as long as you like black

    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    +1.

    I got a pair of One Up composite pedals this year and highly recommend them. They are affordable, have a large platform, are reasonably thin, don't act as heat sinks like metal pedals, and have more pins than most other composites (e.g. 10 per side vs 8 Race Face chester).

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiboy View Post
    I have the Stamp 7, previously the original Stamp pedal. The Q factor is narrower than the 2 and 3 by design.
    I wish I would have known this at the time of purchase!

    I'm still new to fat biking, when I saddle up, I still sometimes put my second foot on the crank arm!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Went through four sets, all have become rattle cages, pins torn out, not a pedal for heavy use, esp where pedal strikes are common.
    It's probably caused by all of your short chain stays. I'm thinking it's you and not the pedals.

    If you look at the pics in the long term review they are pretty beat up and one pin is missing, but they are still going strong. Plus they can't be beat for that price. You can usually find them for less than retail on ebay for $50-$60

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    265
    Race Face Chesters for winter riding (or any other Nylon like the One Ups). Metal pedals are draining heat from your feets even through your boots sole.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    472
    DMR Vaults grip like mofo and properly concave...my winter boot favourite.
    DMR V12 updated, widened, and also great
    DMR V6 nylon

    All great pedals.

    Spank Spikes are pretty ok too. Early ones I had squealed like mad tho.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I ended up going with the Chesterís, used them today on the new bike and loved them.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DirtyHun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    Race Face Chesters. Composite and under $50


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto. Love 'em!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

  29. #29
    Flying Sasquatch
    Reputation: KTMNealio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    298
    If you have big feet, VP Harriers are the biggest pedals you can get. Very open design with replaceable pins.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: camelkicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4
    Race Face Chesters I have used them for years I love them

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crankpuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    If you have big feet, VP Harriers are the biggest pedals you can get. Very open design with replaceable pins.
    I have about 7 different pairs of flat pedals and the VP harriers are on my fat bike for this reason. Big open platform

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    106
    Dig all the beta on this thread...

    Has anyone jumped into the fray with the Kona Wah Wah II yet? Become a stout user of the composite pedal for the winter action... Have been running Chesters, but those stayed back in the midwest :-/

    Kinda narrowed in on the One Up or Kona offering, figuring they will work better with das boots this time of year- greatly dig any verbiage from experiences in the field.

    Cheers

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    265
    Here is a good review of the Kona on Pinkbike.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/kona-w...ls-review.html

  34. #34
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,563
    Quote Originally Posted by BroJangles View Post
    Dig all the beta on this thread...

    Has anyone jumped into the fray with the Kona Wah Wah II yet? Become a stout user of the composite pedal for the winter action... Have been running Chesters, but those stayed back in the midwest :-/

    Kinda narrowed in on the One Up or Kona offering, figuring they will work better with das boots this time of year- greatly dig any verbiage from experiences in the field.

    Cheers
    I've had the Wah Wah 2s for a little while and love the so far. Bigger than Chesters.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  35. #35
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Xpedo Spry wear fast, bushings loosen, pins tear out, not worth the price.

    Fixation Mesa or similar nylon pedals with steel pins are a good choice, been riding them for years, canít kill em.

    I like the Race Face Chesters, got a few pair, look nice and seem durable so far.

    Aluminum pedals tend to grab rock, pins tear out, and theyíre cold underfoot.
    I can't argue with that, the bearings either need regreased or replaced after a hard season of use. And any magnesium pedal isn't going to do well with too many rock strikes. But find on sale under $60, I look at it as a wear item at that point. Cheaper then a single fat tire.

    I put a fresh set on each year and move the old ones to spare bikes or bin.

    So many pedals are heavy bricks, no need to add weight just because. The fatty is already heavy lol.
    Last edited by Shark; 03-03-2018 at 01:58 PM.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    63
    A lot of people voting for the Fyxation Mesa and RaceFace Chesters... I've used both and moved on. My first set of Mesas had a bearing deteriorate inside the pedal eventually, but they lasted long enough (and they are cheap) that I bought another set. The second set had a pedal that started creaking on a gravel grinder within 6 months, and broke apart on the next ride. After that, I gave up on them (I don't care if it was a manufacturing defect that is not common - leaving me stranded on a ride is a deal breaker). I have no real complaints about the Chesters, other than the lack of grip and the smaller platform. They've held up well, but I put DMR Vaults on one of my bikes, then tried riding a bike with the Chesters, and within a week had another set of Vaults on order. I like the idea of the cheap, lightweight, composite pedals, and of the two, I guess I would say the Chesters never really did me wrong (they are on my wife's bike now), but they just don't perform as well as the Vaults. In the winter, single digits with me wearing 45NRTH boots, aluminum is not noticeably colder than composite.

    Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,415
    Cute, must have missed this one.

    Yup, short chainstays kill ďcertainĒ pedals, short stems and droppers have the same affect

    Chesters for the win!

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    It's probably caused by all of your short chain stays. I'm thinking it's you and not the pedals.

    If you look at the pics in the long term review they are pretty beat up and one pin is missing, but they are still going strong. Plus they can't be beat for that price. You can usually find them for less than retail on ebay for $50-$60

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    150
    I just started using these Terra Hiker wide flats, working well.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y2...TF8&psc=1&th=1

    Reviews are positive, 3 sealed bearings, <$20
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal Suggestions-terra-hiker-pedal.jpg  

    Last edited by Paul Fithian; 03-04-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DirtyHun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fithian View Post
    I just started using these Terra Hiker wide flats, working well.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y2...TF8&psc=1&th=1

    Reviews are positive, 3 sealed bearings, <$20
    If you aren't going to thrash on them, I think many low end pedals will survive; but if you take the bike off-road, a real, battle tested pedal is a good bet. Very hard to go wrong with the Chesters.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,415
    Yeah, like the Hun suggested, any pedal will work, but if you ride hard, hit rocks, you need more pedal or itíll only last a season.

    The absolute hardest pedal use is muni, the torque applied to pedals is huge, the pedals are hitting the ground constantly, pedal abuse at its worst and my pedal of choice were the Mesa. The Mesa is a Taiwan unbranded pedal sold by many brands like Nukeprooof and Fyxation to name a few. The One Up is a variation on the Mesa.

    Iím partial to nylon framed pedals for two reasons:

    Nylon is more forgiving when hitting ticks, glides off rocks whereas metal sticks to rocks
    Nylon pedals retain pins better than metal pedals with screw in pins (tend to tear out).

    =>Inexpensive, big platform, nutted pins.

    If you must have metal pedals, get the ones with nutted pins (like nylon pedals) and avoid pedals with bushings unless thereís a way to adjust preload.

    A quality pedal should last a couple seasons or longer, $50 is enough to get quality pedals.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I second this. I have them on all my bikes.

    I have not had any of the problems that Nurse Ben mentions. They have been bullet proof in 2 years of ownership. One of the lightest platform pedals out there.

    http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/platform/144/spry

    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/long-te...o-spry-pedals/


    I've been pretty happy with the Spry. If pins get torn out so badly they can't be replaced that set gets demoted to the gravel bike.

    There was a problem with counterfeits being sold on Amazon.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the Spry. If pins get torn out so badly they can't be replaced that set gets demoted to the gravel bike.

    There was a problem with counterfeits being sold on Amazon.
    Running wha wha 2s on my felt ...composite they work well

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the Spry. If pins get torn out so badly they can't be replaced that set gets demoted to the gravel bike.

    There was a problem with counterfeits being sold on Amazon.
    There are good deals on eBay of your search for XMX24MC (printed on the spry pedal). I just found a seller that had them listed for$49 or best offer, got it for,$45 free shipping.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    99
    I would suggest Pedaling Innovation Catalyst $99 if you open to try something new and better, or Hope F20 (hard to find under $100 though).

Similar Threads

  1. Flat Pedal Riders - Your Ideal Pedal?
    By Yardstick in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 05:32 PM
  2. pedal fast to minimize muscle ache instead pedal slow?
    By Picard in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
  3. Yet another pedal thread - I'm picky need a wah wah like pedal.
    By KTMDirtFace in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 05:18 AM
  5. Bontrager RE-1 Pedal Bearings? Any Pedal bearings?
    By davez26 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Members who have read this thread: 164

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.