Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    558

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel

    Kudos to PDW......

    I've had a set on my bike since October. Not perfect (front tire still spits out the front then back into my face at high speed) but for the price I am very happy with them.

    Bought a second set for my kids bike a few weeks back. Had a few issues on the installation.

    He broke one of the rubber bands for the front fender by stretching it too far in the cold. Then I broke the strap that holds the rear one on. User error on the front and defect on the rear. (at least that's the story I'm sticking with )

    Called up PDW and they made it right. Quick and painless. I appreciate the great customer service.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  2. #2
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,304
    Yeah, I really like the mud shovels. I've had the front one continuously on my bike for a few weeks now, as our weather has warmed up and turned to slush. Super lightweight and works well, with more coverage than some other options I've seen.

    I put the rear one on when called for, and it works great as well, but honestly it's so big that I don't leave it on the bike all the time. Also, as is pretty common with a lot of these 'seatpost strap' type fender mounts, it's hard to get it tight enough that it doesn't pivot in crosswinds, etc. I took a 1" section of inner tube and slid it tightly over my seatpost, and then strap the rear fender to that. It's much more secure now.
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    558
    I read that the seat post mount is a bit suspect before I bought it. I had to be patient to get it tight enough for it to stay where I wanted it. I am currently running it between my tire and my rack to keep the stuff on my rack dry so exact positioning is important.

    I like the inner tube idea, I'll give it a shot. Thanks
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    I like mine too. The rear was a hand me down from a colleague and I bought the front since I liked it so much. I added a small piece of inner tube rubber to the cloth strap to improve the clasp grip since it bounces around and moves if I hit it. No issues now.

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imag0421.jpg

    I also love the packaging. The fender is the packaging, the packaging is the fender. Cool.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    558
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-rack.jpg
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    119
    ^^ Perfect!

  7. #7
    Jammin' Econo
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,304
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0421.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1050670

    I think I like that solution even better.

    I also love the packaging. The fender is the packaging, the packaging is the fender. Cool.
    Yup. Almost nothing to throw away. Them PDW folks is sharp cookies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rack.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1050675
    Solid!
    "I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Kudos to PDW......
    Called up PDW and they made it right. Quick and painless. I appreciate the great customer service.
    Same CS attention received here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I put the rear one on when called for, and it works great as well, but honestly it's so big that I don't leave it on the bike all the time. Also, as is pretty common with a lot of these 'seatpost strap' type fender mounts, it's hard to get it tight enough that it doesn't pivot in crosswinds, etc. I took a 1" section of inner tube and slid it tightly over my seatpost, and then strap the rear fender to that. It's much more secure now.
    I had seatpost mount V1.0 and it loosened up on every ride after the first.

    Ride #2 I was a cussing machine when it would not stay in place. I eventually removed it and make-shift lashed it to my pack just to make it back to the car. Nothing like riding with a 24" piece of plastic either getting caught on the seat or hitting you in the back of the helmet.

    I put a section of inner tube on the seatpost to increase grip and that worked marginally for ride #3. It had enough grip but the strap was stretching and the plastic portion of the mount was flexing. Locking it down tighter did not matter, the assembly just stretched more.

    Email to the mother ship and received V2.0 with the rubber impregnated strap and it's a bit better. Worked for another ride or two and then the assembly started to stretch again.

    V1.0 is useless to me so I've been thinking about a way to modify it with a metal hose clamp.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    558
    I believe I have version 2.0 and it's held up well since November. I am not hucking off any sweet jumps or anything but I am riding close to 100 miles a week. Some of which is single track.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    886
    To know the seat post size in each case might be of help to future buyers...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    90
    Great Customer service. Good product.
    Rear can be trimmed if u find it too big.
    Post size shouldn't matter, staple is adjustable.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    To know the seat post size in each case might be of help to future buyers...
    The cloth strap on mine has been stretched out for sure. I don't know if the v2.0 strap is better, but I wondered why the strap didn't have the rubber strips in it. I have an SKS fender for my SS that has the rubberized strap. The clamps are very similar, but the length of the shovel is longer and so creates a longer lever. So maybe a lil action is to be expected I guess. It is not a traditional full fender with more secure mounting points, but it seems to cover a lot pretty darn well.

    That said, 30.9.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    37

    anyone try muckynutz fat tire fenders?ttach

    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The cloth strap on mine has been stretched out for sure. I don't know if the v2.0 strap is better, but I wondered why the strap didn't have the rubber strips in it. I have an SKS fender for my SS that has the rubberized strap. The clamps are very similar, but the length of the shovel is longer and so creates a longer lever. So maybe a lil action is to be expected I guess. It is not a traditional full fender with more secure mounting points, but it seems to cover a lot pretty darn well.

    That said, 30.9.
    I have not tried Daves mud shovels, however I have two front fender mucky nutz fenders, which simply fit underneath fork, for rear tire I simply made/added black plastic extension piece via small bolts, and catches majority of mud. they attach via velcro or plastic ties and never comes lose, frees up the seat post for other stuff.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    To know the seat post size in each case might be of help to future buyers...
    27.2
    It wags like a happy puppy tail.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    558
    My Trek is 31.6" and it will move if bumped but it's not so loose it's bothersome. And I'm pretty anal about stuff like that.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

    16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

    Minneapolis MN

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    The mucky nutz looks interesting but I'm not sure if you would get the same coverage the mud shovel provides and neither provide as much as a Big O fender. Also, if you're attaching the nutz fenders with zip ties they are not as friendly for removal and installation. That said, it's another option at a reasonable price point with nice packaging.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    A bit over a week ago, in the cold of the MN winter, my trusty fender split into a cat'o'3 tails and the cloth strap broke at the stitch. I lost the rectangular metal loop in the snow and couldn't find a replacement loop at the local outdoor gear repair shop (I will also say that was the first time I ever felt like they didn't want to help which I found disconcerting). Anyhoo, I looked on the PDW site and found the front fender replacement straps but nothing for the rear. Emailed to ask and the reply was almost instantaneous. Chris and I bantered a bit about MN and he sent me a strap for free!... and 3 stickers. I did have to purchase a 2nd one for the meantime, but hey, now I got 2! So I put some foil tape on the top and bottom to hold the fender together (fender flex is gone) and the clamp with the newer strap holds better than before. Thank you Chris, you guys are awesome!

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imag1133.jpg

    You can see that there is a missing piece at the tail end, but the foil tape took care of that. Bonus: the foil racing stripe provides some reflection for the city miles.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    A bit over a week ago, in the cold of the MN winter, my trusty fender split into a cat'o'3 tails and the cloth strap broke at the stitch. I lost the rectangular metal loop in the snow and couldn't find a replacement loop at the local outdoor gear repair shop (I will also say that was the first time I ever felt like they didn't want to help which I found disconcerting). Anyhoo, I looked on the PDW site and found the front fender replacement straps but nothing for the rear. Emailed to ask and the reply was almost instantaneous. Chris and I bantered a bit about MN and he sent me a strap for free!... and 3 stickers. I did have to purchase a 2nd one for the meantime, but hey, now I got 2! So I put some foil tape on the top and bottom to hold the fender together (fender flex is gone) and the clamp with the newer strap holds better than before. Thank you Chris, you guys are awesome!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1133.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	1117508

    You can see that there is a missing piece at the tail end, but the foil tape took care of that. Bonus: the foil racing stripe provides some reflection for the city miles.
    I broke a piece off of my rear fender where it attaches. I had the same guy email me back and banter about MN as well. They took care of me as well. I totally recommend the product and service.

    They even asked me to send them a photo of the broken piece, which shows they care. The new piece was different and looks more stout

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ADKMTNBIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by onewheelwunder View Post
    I broke a piece off of my rear fender where it attaches. I had the same guy email me back and banter about MN as well. They took care of me as well. I totally recommend the product and service.

    They even asked me to send them a photo of the broken piece, which shows they care. The new piece was different and looks more stout
    Thanks for updating this thread. I have one of the old straps that I've modified with electrical tape to make it stay. But the rectangular part is bent outfit shape and about to break. I love these fenders and have 3 pairs for all our bikes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    Thanks for updating this thread. I have one of the old straps that I've modified with electrical tape to make it stay. But the rectangular part is bent outfit shape and about to break. I love these fenders and have 3 pairs for all our bikes.
    Send'em an email. I'm surprised they don't list the rear strap, like the front fender straps, for replacement on their site. I would have paid for the strap but after some bantering I was sent the new and improved strap for free! Great product and support.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    13
    Glad people like them. I ordered a front PDW fender yesterday. Looked nicer than Planet Bike's fat fender.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    I've had a version 1 rear Mudshovel for 2-3 years. In that first year I found that the fabric strap/clamp wouldn't hold tight. Added a short piece of old tube around the seatpost (like post #4 above) for more grip and it still wouldn't hold. The strap itself would just stretch no matter how tight you locked it. Good coverage but fender bounced around and wagged like an excited puppy tail.

    Heard that there was a version 2 and contacted them. Quick email transaction, like everyone above, and the new clamp was on it's way to me at no charge. Score!
    That clamp is a bit more robust and has rubber strips impregnated into the strap material. It got me through the rest of last winter before starting to fail in the same way. It could grip the post firmly but the fabric in the strap would just stretch out.

    Thus we come to version 3 - DIY. Took the V.1 clamp and drilled some holes through the plastic body. Carved out a slot linking the holes with a Dremel, removed the cam/strap and then inserted a hose clamp. Add that little square of old tube around the seat post and clamp this sucker down. Couple rides in and it's not loosening up anymore. Now to shorten up the extra length on the hose clamp.

    V.1 on top V.2 on the bottom
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474513.085134.jpg

    Drilling.
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474531.418252.jpg

    Dremeling
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474543.600933.jpg

    About to cut the cam strap off.
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474555.701759.jpg

    Reassembled.
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474565.834995.jpg

    Mounted.
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474578.567878.jpg
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485474590.851070.jpg

  23. #23
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,033
    Ive had mine for a while too. They're not perfect but they're the best on the market. The downtube fender could use an update as it seems to be designed for steel tubes, not oversized carbon. I use a figure 8 of electrical tape to hold the rear in place.

    I also supplemented the front with a Blackburn fork fender. The front shovel keeps crud off of my body but not my face. This fixes that.

    Name:  51MNW9WiAWL._SY400_.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  26.3 KB
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Ive had mine for a while too. They're not perfect but they're the best on the market. The downtube fender could use an update as it seems to be designed for steel tubes, not oversized carbon. I use a figure 8 of electrical tape to hold the rear in place.

    I also supplemented the front with a Blackburn fork fender. The front shovel keeps crud off of my body but not my face. This fixes that.

    Name:  51MNW9WiAWL._SY400_.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  26.3 KB
    While I believe the fenders were designed on the Pugsley, the straps for the front have plenty of length for alloy or carbon frames with length to spare. It fits easily on the down tube of the MN 2.2 and the On-one Fatty Trail. Now, you may want to add a stick piece of felt or similar material or perhaps that piece of inner tube rubber to save the carbon from scratching, but you could also end up with ice that could scratch it just as easily.

    If there were one thing I would want from them, it would be to design a fender that would provide coverage for the seat tube/frame bag/front mech area that catches all the crud from the rear tire. That may require some ingenuity.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    If there were one thing I would want from them, it would be to design a fender that would provide coverage for the seat tube/frame bag/front mech area that catches all the crud from the rear tire. That may require some ingenuity.
    Like this?
    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485575854.422035.jpg

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485575870.005046.jpg

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485575882.855170.jpg

    PDW Dave's Mud Shovel-imageuploadedbytapatalk1485575897.290190.jpg

    The dirt is a bit deceiving but they've been on the bike for nearly 3 years and I never give my bike more than a wipe down with a rag to get off the largest chunks before I carry it through the house to the basement. 4" strip cut out of a plastic 3 ring binder. Since using a Lefty I can't get one of those fork arch fenders to work I've got a full fender from right behind the HT all the way down the DT to an inch or so past the BB. Then another piece between the seat stays and chain stays. And a 3rd above the chain stays which tucks in to the rear Mud Shovel for complete coverage. I only run the Mud shovel in marginal conditions but the other bits stay on all year for the stray puddle, creek crossings or horse crap. Many of the trails by me are multi user and I ride with bottles often. Nothing is worse than reaching down for a drink to find horse sh1t on the mouthpiece. Couple of velcro straps and some fender washers through the underside bottle bosses. Keeps the BB area remarkably clean.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    Hope you don't have a patent on that setup, I may do a lil copying.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    194
    I've broken 2 Mud Shovel rear fender brackets, both Mk1 and 2 - neither are strong enough given the leverage of the length of the guard IMO. I live in the UK, so get zero product support - it breaks I have to buy another. Fortunately, we have some guys who make Mudhuggers - injection-molded guards. Fitted one last year, and a modded downtube guard like Bme107's behind the seattube to protect the BB. I have a front Mud Shovel on the downtube plus a Muckynutz XL under the fork for pretty complete coverage - winters here are mild, wet and muddy - 2nd winter now without any problems.

Similar Threads

  1. portable shovel?
    By joel787 in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM
  2. Favorite shovel.... looking for suggestions
    By cglasford in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  3. A photo for the love of the shovel
    By Ridnparadise in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 10:39 PM
  4. good folding/ small shovel?
    By joel787 in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 12:18 AM
  5. GBP dry or bring a shovel?
    By PuraVida in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •