Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Ancient Astronaut

Panaracer FatBnimble

Take a look at these pictures.

I put the tires in service on April 16, on April 25, while cleaning the bike I notice all these delaminations and gashes.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-rear-left-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-show-wear.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-left-front-01.jpg

First of all these do not feel 120TPI at all, and the sidewalls are paper thin. My take is that the casing is that the cordage is too stiff and brittle and the sidewall is to thin to handle the loads when cornering. I think a little slalom down the fire road is enough to kill these.

Panaracer has the worst customer service and plain rude.

Another company that is happy to put you at risk to make a buck, PATHETIC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagrande View Post

I put the tires in service on April 16, on April 25, while cleaning the bike I notice all these delaminations and gashes.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-left--02.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1066643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To-show-wear.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1066642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left-Front-01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1066641

First of all these do not feel 120TPI at all, and the sidewalls are paper thin. My take is that the casing is that the cordage is too stiff and brittle and the sidewall is to thin to handle the loads when cornering. I think a little slalom down the fire road is enough to kill these.

You buy those new or used? They look pretty worn out for only 5 rides.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    You buy those new or used? They look pretty worn out for only 5 rides.

How much pressure you have in them?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-left--02.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1066643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To-show-wear.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1066642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left-Front-01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1066641

Where did you buy them from? I'd be going back to them and hope for a replacement or refund.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I had THE EXACT same cut and mine had one ride and were brand new!
    Same here. 2nd or 3rd ride on very familiar single track and I lost a sidewall

mtbr member
    Mine lasted only 400-500 miles before they were toast. They may have lasted a tiny bit longer with tubes, but going tubeless they were completely done. I loved them, but I've never had a set of tires wear out this fast. I just switched to some spendier Husker Du's, sure they cost more than my FBN's, but they should easily last 4 times as long.

All fat, all the time.
    I hope they didn't change them.... The ones I had last year still have decent tread after over 1500 miles of singletrack.

Ancient Astronaut
    Mine are new and have 5 rides 5.4 miles long on a smooth fire road, Negotiator is hired obviously damage control, so thanks and move on.

For novices like Negotraitor I imagine the clues as far as the wear is concerned are clean graphics, perfect Zipping, webbing, and also the rubber spike casting a shadow on the first pic.

I have to say that these FBN replaced my original tires A Big Fat Larry in front and Nate in the rear. On the same trail, where I exclusively ride my 2011 9:Zero:7 they lasted 5200 miles. Seriously, I will post a pic tomorrow, and yes the nate is so bald that you can almost see the air The BFL started to show little holes on the worn knobys.

The FBN are grippy, no doubt, and I like that part , but the quality is dismal, and worse is the nasty customer service.

About the pressure, 10 in front and 12 in the rear, anything less and the casing suffers under braking. I ran 8 and 10 in the BFL and Nate.

Ancient Astronaut
    Mine are made in China, not Japan like their web states. Maybe they changed factories.
    The side wall does not show a 120TPI either, could some of the guys who bought these when they first came please check about the origin and TPI being stamped on the side wall or not.

mtbr member
    Where did you buy them? I don't know specifically about the FBN tire, but panaracer traditionally had several versions of their tires. The Japanese version with supple casing and the cheaper Chinese version with cheaper lower tpi construction. The old panaracer fire are a good example of this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mine are new and have 5 rides 5.4 miles long on a smooth fire road, Negotiator is hired obviously damage control, so thanks and move on.

For novices like Negotraitor I imagine the clues as far as the wear is concerned are clean graphics, perfect Zipping, webbing, and also the rubber spike casting a shadow on the first pic.

I have to say that these FBN replaced my original tires A Big Fat Larry in front and Nate in the rear. On the same trail, where I exclusively ride my 2011 9:Zero:7 they lasted 5200 miles. Seriously, I will post a pic tomorrow, and yes the nate is so bald that you can almost see the air The BFL started to show little holes on the worn knobys.

The FBN are grippy, no doubt, and I like that part , but the quality is dismal, and worse is the nasty customer service.

About the pressure, 10 in front and 12 in the rear, anything less and the casing suffers under braking. I ran 8 and 10 in the BFL and Nate.
    Naw buddy. I was just skeptical because mine have lasted over 1,500 miles. I have since replaced them with Bud / Bud for winter use and now Jumbo Jims. Also before I put the FBN on, I had used 3 different types of tires. Maybe I was just lucky with my pair of FBNs, but I surely am not a novice. It's too bad that yours got trashed so quickly.

Loser
    I have owned 6 Fat B Nimbles over the last year. 2 of them lasted until the tread was gone. The remaining 4 tires lasted maybe six months, I've cut the sidewalls (like the above pictures) on all of them.

I just bought a Specialized Fast Trak, we'll see how those hold up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have two and ride on some sharp rocky sections. They've given me about 1500 worry free miles. I'm light... So maybe that's the difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I think with a case so thin, the psi can't be too low. Im 197lbs and run 20psi on front and 25 on rear. Anything lower then that I get rim strikes or front tire buckles on high speed turns.

Ancient Astronaut
    Hi Eroc,

The Max Pressure they have stamped on the side wall is 20PSI.

From what I have seen the casing is not thin, the side wall is.

Could you post pics of your tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi Eroc,

The Max Pressure they have stamped on the side wall is 20PSI.

From what I have seen the casing is not thin, the side wall is.

Could you post pics of your tires?
    My tires say max is 35psi

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroc162 View Post
    I think with a case so thin, the psi can't be too low. Im 197lbs and run 20psi on front and 25 on rear. Anything lower then that I get rim strikes or front tire buckles on high speed turns.

Those don't look like 26x4.0. Easton arc 30? Is that a 27.5 rim?if so, it's obvious why you're running way more pressure

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    29◊3.0 on a 30mm id rim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroc162 View Post
    29◊3.0 on a 30mm id rim

Right, so the rest of us are discussing the 26 x 4.0 version, which has different TPI, max pressure and obviously can be run at far less pressure than yours.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I guess I will exit this thread. Thanks

Ancient Astronaut

BFL and Nate after 5200 miles

Here are the shots of the BFL and Nate after 5200 miles, I would not hesitate to ride these in the dry, the Nate in particular developed a like sand paper surface which gives amazing grip disregard the knobs or lack thereof.

The BFL was never very confident inspiring on sandy banks around switchbacks, where is tends to fall down the bank, but without a doubt these are quality durable and competent tires.

The FBN were a big mistake, but living in the boonies and having LBS 2 hours away who do not stock anything, one has to play the product lottery Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-03.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-01.jpg

Loser
    That's some impressive "asset bleeding". Maybe I need to run the Nates for a longer period of time, I hated them after a few rides - too much slipping on slab rocks.

All fat, all the time.
    Mine are made in China, not Japan like their web states. Maybe they changed factories.
    The side wall does not show a 120TPI either, could some of the guys who bought these when they first came please check about the origin and TPI being stamped on the side wall or not.
    The new ones I bought say made in China on the packaging. They are not stamped 120tpi anywhere on the tire itself.
    I looked at my old ones, they are not labeled 120tpi on the tire either, they look identical (marking wise) to the new ones .

Time will tell.

Unless I missed it you still haven't said where you bought these from?

Ancient Astronaut
    I hated them at first also, but my beef was it was like riding a vibrator. The surface we ride the fatty on is a fire road and it can be abrasive, no rock slabs here, mostly pine needles and soft clay. The good grip surface developed in this environment but might not on what I assume is "a more dusty" rock surface.
    One thing I can tell you is that the nate, did get better as the knobs wore down, of course, that applies to dry riding mostly.

mtbr member
    well, i didn't have much luck with my FBN's, but for $35 i was willing to buy a replacement.

Panaracer Tire 26 x 4.0 Fat B Nimble Folding : TheBikesmiths.com
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

Ancient Astronaut
    Hi Swerny,

That is not what I paid for mine... I did some searches and the prices were higher than that, is this a recent purchase? How long have them been selling for 35.50.

I still think they blow chucnks ) Its most definitely a softer hit.

If it is a recent purchase, they might be trying to unload them...

mtbr member
    Hi Swerny,

That is not what I paid for mine... I did some searches and the prices were higher than that, is this a recent purchase? How long have them been selling for 35.50.

I still think they blow chucnks ) Its most definitely a softer hit.

If it is a recent purchase, they might be trying to unload them...
    I bought them today. I wound up price matching with Jenson and buying from there
    Last edited by Swerny; 05-05-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Ancient Astronaut
    I ordered my FBN in Nov 15, when we got a little snow for a few days and the worn out BFL and Nate were pretty sketchy. That is fatbike season and the prices were high. The snow went away and I did not put them into service until April.

The prices are low now, I picked up a Vee Rubber Mission Tubeless for 29 bucks shipped, I am going to try it today, visual first impression is good, definitely better quality, and although tubeless, it is lighter than a new Nate 120TPI that originally bought when I built the 2011 9:ZERO:7. The Nate had a defect, blisters, I procrastinated on sending it back and here it is still. That later lead to getting the BFL.
    Again from the looks of it, the knobs are about the same height that those of the middle aged Nate when it started to work great on my surfaces.

Ancient Astronaut

inside and outside

After dismounting the FBN's I looked inside the casing and here are some examples of what shows.
    These are some examples.

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-outside-split-01.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-inside-defect-weakness-01.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-outside-split-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-inside-defect-weakness-02.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Intresting...I am picking up a set for $35 apiece today. Perhaps I should re-think the purchase. Or just ride them until they fail...and go back to my Knards/Nates.....

mtbr member
    if you're really gentle with the sidewalls...
    mine did exactly as pictured above, but I charged everything at will with them.
    to me, these are a classic example of a company wanting to say they have the lightest X vs making a superior product. until theres a v2 with a better 120tpi sidewall, I just can't buy another set. they rode great, but I don't want to worry about a tire like that.

beer thief
    Same experience here. My 27.5 x 3.5 (actually less than 3.0) FBNs lasted less than 500 miles. I will never buy another pair at any price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks.....ended up saving my dollars as I have two two good 4" Knards and a set of 4" Nates already....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678